DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/565121-humanity-saved-dark-knights-record-safe-weekend-box-office-11-20-11-22-a.html)

Groucho 11-20-09 03:20 PM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

It's pretty funny. You guys flock to shitty action and horror movies and cheer when they make money. Then somebody makes a popular movie for somebody outside your demographic and you flip out.

Kal-El 11-20-09 03:29 PM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 9847021)
You should check out the Box Office forums, everyone is freaking out, its great.

link? :-D

Gizmo 11-20-09 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 9847021)
You should check out the Box Office forums, everyone is freaking out, its great.

Link?!?

Patman 11-20-09 03:40 PM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/...9163b56a0084ab

RichC2 11-20-09 03:46 PM

I don't think anyone is surprised by this. Twilight is a phenomenon right now ... albeit one that is inaccessible to non-fans (read: most men).

The first movie was terrible and apparently this one is even worse (though most readers seem to agree the second book was also the worst) so I have no interest. Let the women swoon over their eternal vampire and jailbait werewolf for a while. ... come to think of it, I may need to go to a bar near a theater and take advantage of this situation.

D.E.N.N.I.S. to the rescue!

Fist of Doom 11-20-09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9847088)
D.E.N.N.I.S. to the rescue!

I call dibs on M.A.C.!

Kal-El 11-20-09 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 9847079)

Thanks for this. I needed a fun read for today. Apparently the Fanboy Freakout started with the pre-sales record being broken.

LickTheABCs 11-20-09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 9847105)
Thanks for this. I needed a fun read for today. Apparently the Fanboy Freakout started with the pre-sales record being broken.

I love all the dorks with Harry Potter avatars crying over it. Great read.

Supermallet 11-20-09 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9846596)
Hey, buddy, fuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuu!

I'm gonna see the shit out of this film on Sunday while wearing my "I Love Sparkly Boys" panties. Ya know, cause Suprmallet can't do the 30 minute drive out to Simi Valley to see it with me in our matching New Moon T-Shirts. What a baby ;)

It would be one thing to do it as a joke at my own theater for free. But I'm not going to drive out of my way and pay to see it. Plus, frankly, your "werewolf kisses" comment freaked me the hell out. Mostly because now all I can think of is making out with Benicio Del Toro. :(

Gizmo 11-20-09 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 9847079)

Some choice quotes:

I can guarantee you that the only reason it beat the HBP midnight record is because they used some of Twilight's money...

Why?
NM wont touch HP6 total DOM or OS or WW. Nor does it have the critical acclaim or book sales. Its a fad...Eclipse will drop of from NM.

BTW i would not see this movie even if I get a free ticket. I did try to read the books and found them terrible and could not even finish the 1st book. On the other hand I loved HP books and have read them multiple times.
And it crashed :(

Gizmo 11-20-09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9847131)
It would be one thing to do it as a joke at my own theater for free. But I'm not going to drive out of my way and pay to see it. Plus, frankly, your "werewolf kisses" comment freaked me the hell out. Mostly because now all I can think of is making out with Benicio Del Toro. :(

No werewolf kisses :(

GenPion 11-20-09 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9846578)
That is sad. At least if you said you were taking a date I'd give you a pass on the grounds of possibly getting laid. But your sister? Wait, you're not in West Virginia, are you?

Ha Ha. Very funny.

boredsilly 11-20-09 04:26 PM

I'm really amazed at how many gigantic movies this decade has had. I watched the first movie out of curiosity, and thought it was pretty dreadful. But then I like The Fast and Furious, so I'm not judging. This shit is going to have some major legs. If this is good (for Twilight fans) the girls are going to go see this movie repeatedly. Maybe moreso than the comic movie geeks (like me and TDK).

Seantn 11-20-09 05:43 PM

Last night, many theaters had 9pm shows of the first film, Twilight. That alone made $1.3 million!

The Antipodean 11-20-09 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9847040)
It's pretty funny. You guys flock to shitty action and horror movies and cheer when they make money. Then somebody makes a popular movie for somebody outside your demographic and you flip out.

Stop trying to bring logic on the Internets!

superdeluxe 11-20-09 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9846982)
Now here's the big question: after the monstrously huge opening, how big of a drop will it take next weekend?

My guess: 66%

I think thats too big, its a holiday weekend, not much to do but go and watch movies.

superdeluxe 11-20-09 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 9847031)
unfortunatly us movie nerds don't have anything to really see this weekend, no one wants to see the Sandra Bullock football sob story, everyone already saw 2012 last week... I guess we can all hope for Ninja Assassin to be good

Red Cliff?

superdeluxe 11-20-09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 9847055)
link? :-D

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/

I honestly thought one of the posters was you:

Kal-EL Pandora man of tom

more specifically these threads:

Midnight/Friday Morning Thread:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/...ic.htm?t=80690

100m OW O/U thread:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/...ic.htm?t=76770

superdeluxe 11-20-09 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 9847105)

It helps that senior posters/Moderators are getting agitated by it.

Kory 11-20-09 06:16 PM

Lol @ 5 Fast 5 Furious.

I prefer "Grandmaster Fast and the Furious 5."

Bluelitespecial 11-20-09 06:27 PM

I saw the Blind Side Earlier this week, and it was actually pretty decent. Good roll for Sandra Bullock outside her stupid rom-com flicks.

Supermallet 11-20-09 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9847266)
Last night, many theaters had 9pm shows of the first film, Twilight. That alone made $1.3 million!

And those were discounted tickets!

Ash Ketchum 11-20-09 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 9847285)
Red Cliff?

RED CLIFF is playing only two theaters in New York City and has not gotten much publicity here. How many theaters is it playing at around the country?

superdeluxe 11-20-09 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9847340)
RED CLIFF is playing only two theaters in New York City and has not gotten much publicity here. How many theaters is it playing at around the country?

Dunno, but none in my area..and I am pretty torqued.

tylergfoster 11-20-09 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9847040)

Most shitty action movies don't pretend they aren't shitty. Certainly most of the people I know who like them are aware they aren't really "good" movies. On the other hand, based on the time I worked at the theater and surveying the reaction on the internet, I'd guess that at least 70% of the Twilight audience thinks this garbage is serious prose, with real meaning and depth. That's what annoys me. And there's nothing special about it. When the latest cop-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-law action flick or something comes out, it doesn't make $24 million at midnights, it makes a reasonable profit and then goes away. I would compare the idiocy of Twilight to the idiocy of Transformers, and I can safely say that I railed as much against that crap as I would rail against this.