DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/565121-humanity-saved-dark-knights-record-safe-weekend-box-office-11-20-11-22-a.html)

Panda Phil 11-26-09 10:02 AM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9850006)
I

In my honest opinion, it's worse than say a shit film like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which really does nothing for society. You and I can have a back and forth conversation about Michael Bay being a hack or how John Turturro was part of the film to get a paycheck. The only damage done is we get a shitty third film, whoop de do. With Twilight and New Moon, it's setting back women's rights at least twenty or thirty years. The stories are not progression for women as the core is about a suppressed teenage girl who is selfish, narcissistic and can't decide what she wants so she starts obsessing over a vampire and causes harm to herself --- and women eat this shit up. Really? This is a story that you want to claim ownership on? All right. Well, I'll keep my Jane Austin or Emily Bronte novels if I want to read a romance novel for women by women and the socially awkward and inept women who think their place is in the home can keep their Twilight books.

Thank you for summing up my biggest problem with this whole 'phenomenon'. Compare this to the old 'Beauty & the Beast' tv show from the early 90's. Same soppy romance, same female fan base getting all damp over Vincent. The biggest difference is that the female lead was a successful working woman, with goals and dreams that went beyond being the love slave of some idealized perfect man. In other words, she could think for herself.

Damn I miss that show.

Maybe its unfair, but older Twilight fans remind me of those women who send love letters to imprisoned serial killers.

Hokeyboy 11-26-09 10:03 AM

Re: Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 1

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9856345)
If New Moon beats out TF2 for #1 grossing pic of the year (domestic - the only numbers that count), then humanity is doomed.

:lol: rotfl :lol: rotfl :lol:

I hope you never work for any organization that engages in global transactions (like, say, the movie business).

Supermallet 11-26-09 12:39 PM

Re: Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 1

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9856516)
I still don't get all the hate for TF2. By far the best movie theater experience I had all year.

Only the shitfest that was Halloween II was worse for me this year. If that was the best movie experience you had all year, I weep for you.

Brack 11-26-09 01:30 PM

The whole idea that the Twilight films are setting back women's rights is pretty fucking sexist if you ask me, and completely laughable. No one ever says anything about some popular, ultraviolent movie setting back men.

Hokeyboy 11-26-09 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 9857047)
The whole idea that the Twilight films are setting back women's rights is pretty fucking sexist if you ask me, and completely laughable. No one ever says anything about some popular, ultraviolent movie setting back men.

I'd say both TWILIGHT and TRANSFORMERS 2 play hardcore into gender stereotypes. :shrug:

The same guy who will decry TWILIGHT as mindless swill will defend the most retarded action spectacle on Earth, claiming "it's just a popcorn flick" and it's "what's wrong with turning your brain off and just being entertained", etc. etc, then list it on his ten best of the decade. :lol:

FWIW the biggest TWILIGHT fan I know graduated the top of her class at business school, works her own business as a financial advisor, easily clears $300k a year, is better looking than your wife/girlfriend, and so is HER girlfriend. I call that evolution or total proof of God's existence. Maybe both. :)

Supermallet 11-26-09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 9857047)

I just assume men can't be set back any farther than we already are.

Solid Snake 11-26-09 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9857097)

Ditto. I mean...men through pretty much all of history (though..women rights onward which is very little and women haven't fucked up society like men have yet...) yeah...we've done some good but I'll be damned if a man didn't commit the worst of crimes to society.

dan30oly 11-26-09 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9857213)
Ditto. I mean...men through pretty much all of history (though..women rights onward which is very little and women haven't fucked up society like men have yet...) yeah...we've done some good but I'll be damned if a man didn't commit the worst of crimes to society.

And just what good have women contributed to society over men???

Did a woman discover fire? Did a woman invent the wheel? Did a woman invent the lightbulb???

I think not!

I put forth the argument that women are more to blame then men for the worst crimes in society as being enablers of our outrageous behavior!

For example: I am sure it is a womans fault for the awfulness of The Watchmen!

Supermallet 11-26-09 05:01 PM

:lol:

Solid Snake 11-26-09 05:40 PM

I..I actually liked that post by him....haha.

Hokeyboy 11-26-09 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9857275)
Did a woman discover fire? Did a woman invent the wheel? Did a woman invent the lightbulb???

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!!

Matthew Chmiel 11-26-09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9857346)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!!

Germans?
Forget it, he's rolling.

Brack 11-27-09 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9857097)

Then why even care what women do or don't do, like or dislike, since clearly we have no right to judge either way. Sounds counterproductive.

Gizmo 11-27-09 11:53 AM

NeW MoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

Supermallet 11-27-09 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 9857775)
Then why even care what women do or don't do, like or dislike, since clearly we have no right to judge either way. Sounds counterproductive.

It was a joke. :lol:

Blu Man 11-27-09 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9858220)
NeW MoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

rotfl

Ash Ketchum 11-28-09 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9857065)
FWIW the biggest TWILIGHT fan I know graduated the top of her class at business school, works her own business as a financial advisor, easily clears $300k a year, is better looking than your wife/girlfriend, and so is HER girlfriend. I call that evolution or total proof of God's existence. Maybe both. :)

So, a hot, smart, successful lesbian who won't have children, meaning the best genes will not get passed on, is a sign of evolution?

Hokeyboy 11-28-09 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9859331)
So, a hot, smart, successful lesbian who won't have children, meaning the best genes will not get passed on, is a sign of evolution?

It. Was. A. Joke. (playing into male horndog stereotypes) ;)

johnnysd 11-30-09 01:22 AM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9847009)
To bad Lord of the Rings fan's havn't realized this already.

Lord of The Rings movies are awesome, and still awesome upon rewatch.