Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies Anticipated Before They Were Even Movies (adaptations, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies Anticipated Before They Were Even Movies (adaptations, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Movies Anticipated Before They Were Even Movies (adaptations, etc)

^ I heard they were going to do an animated version of "Eyes of the Dragon" , that was about four years ago and it had been a rumor since about two years prior to that one.

I have wishes that the success of District 9 will convince whomever has the rights to a Halo movie to give Blommkamp and Jackson another shot.
Old 11-20-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only read one book more than once, and it was Stephen Hunter's "Dirty White Boys". If it was done right, it would be an insane action movie. They made Shooter, which was based on Hunter's characters, so I have hope!
Old 11-20-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Red Dwarf
Old 11-20-09, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Can't beleive that no one has said Ender's Game. I have been anticipating that movies for about 20 years now. I read the book and immediately wished that they would do a "good" movie about it. Hopefully it will be made withing the next 5 to 10 years.
At the end of the Ender's Shadow audio book, Card talks for awhile about the movie. It sounds like one of the big holdups in getting it made was his insistence on no one older than 12 be cast for Ender. I agree that it is important to his character, but I also hate little kids in movies, and believe it would be hard to find a 12 year to pull it off.

It sounds like there has been more progress on this lately though, so we may see it someday.
Old 11-20-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I think Card agreed to aging Ender because, quite frankly, try directing a six-year-old in that role.

I think Ender's overrated anyhow. I'd rather see PASTWATCH, personally.
Old 11-20-09, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Lovely Bones
Old 11-20-09, 07:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
....The film was huge. I liked it, but was disappointed at the same time with the shitty plot that made no sense, and lack of focus on Batman. Probably too much anticipation, but even watching the film recently the same problems were there.....
Man!, you've said my thoughts on that movie perfectly!!!

Being a AD&D nerd way back when I've always wanted a proper DragonLace movie.

I've also wanted an adaptation of Ravenloft.
Old 11-21-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Jurassic Park is a good one. Read that two or three times in anticipation of a film.

The Mist is another. My favorite King short story. Probably read it a half dozen times over the years. The movie did not disappoint. Loved the new ending although I wouldn't have minded seeing an alternate closer to the story to see how it worked on screen.

The Star Wars nerd in me can't help but want to see Heir to the Empire hit the big screen. I'd settle for an all CG affair if need be.

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
King's The Dark Tower

Looks like I'll be continuing to wait for this one for awhile...
First one that came to mind. Damon Lindleoff (Lost) and JJ Abrams bought the rights from King last fall. Supposedly it's Damon's first "post Lost" project. It's also the first two people that he's ever considered releasing the rights to. In all his years he hasn't felt anyone in Hollywood was up to the task until they came along with Lost.
Old 11-21-09, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some broadway musicals were like this. The Phantom of the Opera was anticipated for years, and almost got made around 1990 with the original cast. Earlier this decade there was an online movement to retain Michael Crawford as the Phantom, but alas, they went with Gerard Butler, who was pretty much unknown then. The movie kind of sucked. Rent was another, with tantalizing names like Spike Lee and Martin Scorsese rumored, but eventually it was Chris Columbus who did a "meh" version. Sweeney Todd was also rumored for a while, and turned out better.

Les Miserables is the big one that people have been waiting for. The problem is, it would probably cost a fortune, with the strong possibility that it could flop. The musicals that have been successful over the last several years have been "fun" musicals like Hairspray and Mamma Mia. Les Mis is not very fun at all (although Master of the House provides some comic relief).
Old 11-21-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I liked Phantom. It was no Broadway show but I don't think it was bad by any stretch.
Old 11-21-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am still waiting for Tom Clancy's Without Remorse. One of my favorite books. Supposedly now in development for 2011 release. Brandon Routh is rumored to be in the running for John Kelly.
Old 11-21-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Without Remorse was one of my favorite Clancys as well, but if they DO make it I hope they make it a serious 70s period piece.
Old 11-21-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I've only read one book more than once, and it was Stephen Hunter's "Dirty White Boys". If it was done right, it would be an insane action movie.
Three men at McAlester State Penitentiary had larger penises than Lamar Pye, but all were black and therefore, by Lamar's own figuring, hardly human at all. His was the largest penis ever seen on a white man in that prison or any of the others in which Lamar had spent so much of his adult life. It was a monster, a snake, a ropey, veiny thing that hardly looked at all like what it was but rather like some form of rubber tubing.

Therefore he was Number One on the [gay] hit parade, but the **** knew to stay away and could only dream of him in private. Lamar wasn't a [gay], although, when the spirit moved him, he was a buttfucker. He wasn't a boss con's fuckboy, either, or a punk, or a bitch or a mary or a snitch, and he carried a simple message in the graceful economy of his movements: to fuck with me is to fuck with death itself.

It helped, of course, that he was also protected by Daddy Cool, the bullet-pocked biker king who ran the Mac's dirty white boys…

As a result of this forum's filtering software, I had to slightly modify it by inserting [gay] in place of a more derogatory three-letter word in the original text, but otherwise, the above represents the opening two-plus paragraphs of the book. We'd have to say a few prayers for the writer in charge of transforming it into a screenplay, but yeah I too think it'd make a great movie...if done right.
Old 11-22-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars episodes 1-3. Anticipated for a long time by many, disappointed many afterwards.
Old 11-22-09, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
This.

One of my most anticipated of 2010. It's like fantasy casting from when I was 14.
14? shit....I dreamed of this film since I was at least 5 years old. Ah...1991 was a good year for me...
Old 11-22-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Some broadway musicals were like this. The Phantom of the Opera was anticipated for years, and almost got made around 1990 with the original cast. Earlier this decade there was an online movement to retain Michael Crawford as the Phantom, but alas, they went with Gerard Butler, who was pretty much unknown then. The movie kind of sucked. Rent was another, with tantalizing names like Spike Lee and Martin Scorsese rumored, but eventually it was Chris Columbus who did a "meh" version. Sweeney Todd was also rumored for a while, and turned out better.
The problem with Phantom of the Opera and Rent is the creative staff behind both films didn't retain the fact that THEY ARE OPERAS. There's supposed to be little-to-no dialogue. They were doomed to failure not only by a lack of creativity behind the camera, but the fact they changed a lot of the music to dialogue only.
Old 11-23-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Awaiting:

Y: The Last Man (although it would work best as a 12-episode HBO miniseries)
Vertical Run (read like an action film and the rights were sold in the 90s when it came out)
The Hobbit
Old 11-23-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Awaiting:

Y: The Last Man (although it would work best as a 12-episode HBO miniseries)

I am reading the series right now and totally agree with you, that would be the only way to do it justice. More due to the fact that HBO can get away with doing some of the fucked up shit the series has and not have to worry about cutting it for the public. I also think that Preacher would be something best handled by HBO.

I would LOVE to see a big screen version of the musical Wicked, maybe directed by Terry Gilliam. Of course the fact that it's a musical will make it a hard sell, and while I think Gilliam is the only director fit to handle the elaborate visuals, his involvement would almost guarantee something over budget and clashing with studio heads.