Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors you're not sure about

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors you're not sure about

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Actors you're not sure about

A lot of you are throwing in names that you're sure of, not unsure of!

I'll echo Clive Owen - he comes across as so stiff to me. I don't think I've ever looked forward to anything he is in. In fact, I've been put off by films with a good concept or word of mouth simply because he is in them. I'm also confused why so many people thought he'd be good for Bond.

Anyway, for consideration I'd throw in Jude Law and Guy Pearce. I want to like a lot of what they are in, but most of it falls flat for me. Perhaps it's the role rather than the actor though.
Old 11-23-09, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
See I disagree; I think Jackman is incredibly charismatic and a strong screen presence. He's just been in some incredibly shitty movies.

Sorry, but to me Jackman is about as charismatic as a wet lettuce leaf!

Seriously though, actors like Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Viggo Mortensen are, if you notice, a big hit with the ladies in most cases. And therein lies the problem. As someone else said, "Abs can take you far!". All of them, IMHO, coast along on their looks and abs. As far as an "acting range" is concerned, forget it.

Its a bit like people like: Dolph Lungren, Steven Seagal, Van Damme etc. They have been playing the same hit men/action figures/out for revenge/ tough guys in straight to dvd movies for years with little variation, and certainly no variation in their acting abilities.

The difference is, as I said before, the above actors, are now considered BIG STARS and star in some of the biggest movies out there! And I'm sure, get paid huge sums accordingly. W ether or not they are any good as actors is, IMHO open to speculation.
Old 11-23-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No one else could have pulled off JOE VS. THE VOLCANO except Tom Hanks.

Also: Mark Wahlberg. Here is a guy who was SO outstanding in "The Departed" and "Boogie Nights", and an ABSOLUTE PIECE OF SHIT IN EVERYTHING ELSE. I'm not talking just OK, decent, whatever, I mean a FUCKING AWFUL ACTOR. I guess abs can take you far in this world.
What about Fear, the Italian Job and Basketball Diaries?
Old 11-23-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I hesitate to say this one since people here think he's so great, but Johnny Depp for me. I like plenty of movies he's in, but I'm not sure I think he's a great actor. Not terrible, but I don't think I've found him to be great either.
Old 11-23-09, 11:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

all actors. something tells me they're not really the characters they are playing.
Old 06-25-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mila Kunis is probably one of the top 10 best looking actresses in hollywood. She's especially hot in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but she's gives off an unlikeable vibe in most movies.
Old 06-25-10, 07:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Kristin Stewart is terrible.

Never understood how Jennifer HOpez made it in movies or music... Oh thats right, she slept with everyone and everything to make it to the top.

Also, Vin Diesel, The Rock and most of the actors from the younger generation...
I know, I know, get off your lawn.
Old 06-25-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Mila Kunis is probably one of the top 10 best looking actresses in hollywood. She's especially hot in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but she's gives off an unlikeable vibe in most movies.
Mila Kunis is a great example. I've seen her in Max Payne, Sarah Marshall, Extract, Book of Eli, and Date Night. I think I like her, but I'm not sure about her yet. I haven't been blown away by her, but I'm just always curious to see what she does next. I probably liked her characters the most in Sarah Marshall and Max Payne.
Old 06-25-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Michelle Rodriguez. I thought she was good in AVATAR, but she was playing Cameron's patented "tough-Latina-broad" role, which she probably could have done in her sleep. I'm not sure if she has any potential beyond the occasional character/action role. If she does, I'd love to know what films show that potential. (I can't recall what else I've seen her in.)
Old 06-25-10, 11:14 AM

Samuel L. Jackson - he's been churning out arrogant angry loud black man for so long that I'm not sure he can do much more than that (at least, not with what I see him in).
Old 06-25-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Michelle Rodriguez. I thought she was good in AVATAR, but she was playing Cameron's patented "tough-Latina-broad" role, which she probably could have done in her sleep. I'm not sure if she has any potential beyond the occasional character/action role. If she does, I'd love to know what films show that potential. (I can't recall what else I've seen her in.)
Nope, that particular patent is owned by God. And we should all be thankful for his creation.
Old 06-25-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by llandros
Samuel L. Jackson - he's been churning out arrogant angry loud black man for so long that I'm not sure he can do much more than that (at least, not with what I see him in).
He's great in THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT (1996), playing a cleverly updated version of the seedy, shabby private eye we used to see in classics like KISS ME DEADLY.
Old 06-25-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
The Brad Pitt comments are shocking to me.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Snatch., Seven, Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys, Ocean's, Burn After Reading, Babel, Inglourious Basterds, Kalifornia, etc. etc. are all varied roles and varied characters that he played uniquely.

Originally Posted by Drop
I wouldn't say he's great but he is solid. And I know what to expect from Pitt when he's in a film.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8zd6HBhuQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8zd6HBhuQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VQNhWxXejc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VQNhWxXejc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkGwPuQco8
Old 06-25-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Yeah, I thought she was the bees knees until I I saw her in LOST, she delivered some wince-inducing stuff at times in that. Oh well, still sexy as hell, especially kickin ass in Avatar
Old 06-25-10, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I hesitate to say this one since people here think he's so great, but Johnny Depp for me. I like plenty of movies he's in, but I'm not sure I think he's a great actor. Not terrible, but I don't think I've found him to be great either.
Have you seen Donnie Brasco? It's a great performance, very understated and nuanced. Nothing like his more affected work
Old 06-25-10, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by llandros
to be fair, he's also played responsible loud black man, persecuted loud black man, mentally afflicted loud black man and Jedi loud black man

Here he is in the Caveman's Valentine, playing deranged but talented loud black man

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qirSep_OdlQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qirSep_OdlQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-25-10, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rad14
Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Viggo Mortensen are, if you notice, a big hit with the ladies in most cases. And therein lies the problem. As someone else said, "Abs can take you far!". All of them, IMHO, coast along on their looks and abs. As far as an "acting range" is concerned, forget it.
Don't know what Viggo Mortensen is doing on your list. He's far from a shallow Hollywood leading man. He's chosen plenty of challenging roles and untypical projects. His Russian in Eastern Promises was apparently flawless. I've had Russian friends tell me he got the whole Russian soul down right to the body language and sense of humor. He speaks eight languages in real life anyway

Also keep in mind Mortensen was working for years in supporting roles before he became a "star." See if you can recognize him in Carlito's Way

Also, Christian Bale has been showing his acting range since he was kid in Empire of the Sun. And have you seen The Machinist? Not a pretty boy role.

Old 06-25-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spencer Tracy - did this loser EVER make a good film? He stank.

Orson Welles - this moron couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Marlon Brando - come on... all the hype over this talentless hack.
Old 06-25-10, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Spencer Tracy - did this loser EVER make a good film? He stank.

Orson Welles - this moron couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Marlon Brando - come on... all the hype over this talentless hack.
....welles was awesome. Solid work in his acting prime years.
Old 06-25-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrible chong
to be fair, he's also played responsible loud black man, persecuted loud black man, mentally afflicted loud black man and Jedi loud black man

Here he is in the Caveman's Valentine, playing deranged but talented loud black man
black actors tend to play black roles, unless you're Robert Downey Jr.
Old 06-26-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC

I'd have to say Ryan Reynolds. I've thought he's mediocre, but I've only seen a few of his movies so I don't really know.
Old 06-28-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Hey guys, that wine didn't sell itself. THAT was acting.