Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

I very rarely do any blind buys these days, but at the low price of the BR and Duncan Jones directing, I decided to take a shot.

That said, I enjoyed it very much, but I had a problem with the ending.
Spoiler:
Call me one of "those guys" who likes dark, depressing endings, but had the movie ended with the final kiss, and the great shot of everybody enjoying one final laugh before being blown up, I would have turned this B into an A. Instead, taking over that guy's life at the end just to have another go at it just left a sour taste in my mouth. Still, if they ever get the funding for a sequel, it would make a great comedy. Imagine him trying to teach class! Meeting the family! Finding out he owes $10k to a bookie!
Old 07-28-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it.

I had gotten a little irritated with some weak stuff that was going on, then Jones really pulled it out with the ending.
Old 07-28-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I very rarely do any blind buys these days, but at the low price of the BR and Duncan Jones directing, I decided to take a shot.

That said, I enjoyed it very much, but I had a problem with the ending.
Spoiler:
Call me one of "those guys" who likes dark, depressing endings, but had the movie ended with the final kiss, and the great shot of everybody enjoying one final laugh before being blown up, I would have turned this B into an A. Instead, taking over that guy's life at the end just to have another go at it just left a sour taste in my mouth. Still, if they ever get the funding for a sequel, it would make a great comedy. Imagine him trying to teach class! Meeting the family! Finding out he owes $10k to a bookie!
That's how I expected it to end. It wouldn't have been dark or depressing but rather ambiguous.
Old 08-26-11, 10:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally saw this tonight, that it was really good, hopefully with some clarification, I will finally be able to sleep (although major props for the Scott Bakula stuff).

Anyways,
Spoiler:
So does the alternate reality only exist if the original timeline people keep the source code program running? I'm kinda confused on how Jake gets to live on. Err, (I'm thinking on the fly and if I don't get this out, I won't be able to sleep tonight. Ha)...so Jake gets sent to the source code and stops the bomb but where exactly is he living out this alternate reality as Sean? Doesn't the source code only contain 8 minutes worth of world? I could somewhat buy that he's in the source code and sends the email to the lady in charge, if that lady was part of the source code as well. In the source code world, the bomb is saved and the source code project isnt proven to the big boss just yet and Jake is still hooked up to the machine (as we saw in the movie). But again, where exactly is this alternate reality existing at?
Old 08-27-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 0073735963
Finally saw this tonight, that it was really good, hopefully with some clarification, I will finally be able to sleep (although major props for the Scott Bakula stuff).

Anyways,
Spoiler:
So does the alternate reality only exist if the original timeline people keep the source code program running? I'm kinda confused on how Jake gets to live on. Err, (I'm thinking on the fly and if I don't get this out, I won't be able to sleep tonight. Ha)...so Jake gets sent to the source code and stops the bomb but where exactly is he living out this alternate reality as Sean? Doesn't the source code only contain 8 minutes worth of world? I could somewhat buy that he's in the source code and sends the email to the lady in charge, if that lady was part of the source code as well. In the source code world, the bomb is saved and the source code project isnt proven to the big boss just yet and Jake is still hooked up to the machine (as we saw in the movie). But again, where exactly is this alternate reality existing at?
Spoiler:
I think that was part of the dilemma. The inventor was convinced that the code only contained 8 minutes....so nothing Jake did mattered. Jake was convinced that each time he went back, he created a new timeline that went on after he left. He convinces the Air Force woman to see his side, which is why she lets him stay there.
He then emails the woman in the new timeline saying that the source code works better than they thought and to tell the Jake in this timeline that when they finally use the Source Code, "everything is going to be okay". They haven't activated Jake in this new timeline yet because the Jake now stuck in the source code prevented the train bomb.
I do think its messed up though that this timeline continues on but he essentially killed the guy who's body he now inhabits.
I kind of agree with the above post that it should have ended with the train blowing up after the comedian gives everyone a good laugh.
Old 09-16-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Source Code being developed into a series by CBS (sans involvement of Duncan Jones), from /Film;

The Hollywood Reporter broke the news of this deal. The show will be produced by Mark Gordon (Grey’s Anatomy) who also produced the movie and, just like in the movie, the show will follow a top secret agency that sends agents back through time to live the final 8 minutes of someone’s life who died in a tragic event with the hopes to solve it.

So basically it’s C.S.I: Sci-Fi.

While the Source Code idea is obviously ripe for a television crime drama, what I’m curious about is whether or not the show will embrace the ending of the movie.
Duncan Jones tweeted upon hearing of the announcement;

"For those asking, I know not a sausage about the 'Source Code' TV show," he tweeted earlier today. "First time I heard about it was about 20 minutes ago... on twitter!"
Old 09-16-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A series about a group of crime-solving vegetables? Yeah, that sounds like a sure-fire ratings hit.

And given it's network TV, how will they shoehorn in the pre-requisite soap opera BS?
Old 01-07-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I watched my BD tonight and I think I like the movie more than when I saw it in theaters. There's nothing epic or grand about it...it's just a really neat little sci fi flick. Michelle Monaghan has never looked cuter and her chemistry with Gyllenhaal is outstanding.

I can't wait to see what Duncan Jones has next in store.
Old 02-01-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I finally watched this today.

Well worth the wait.

Fantastic flick.
Old 02-01-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
A series about a group of crime-solving vegetables? Yeah, that sounds like a sure-fire ratings hit.

And given it's network TV, how will they shoehorn in the pre-requisite soap opera BS?
No, they will be young, multi-diverse, very attractive, and every week (day?) is another successful mission. Their lives will also probably reset with every episode.
Old 02-01-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
No, they will be young, multi-diverse, very attractive, and every week (day?) is another successful mission. Their lives will also probably reset with every episode.
So basically a reboot of Smallville?
Old 02-01-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Old 02-02-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So basically a reboot of Smallville?
Dollhouse.
Old 02-04-13, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Source Code a few months back and didn't care for it. It was sold as a mystery, and I felt that petered out too fast. And this sort of story should be clue-based and you should be able to play along at home and sort the clues out along with the protagonist. Instead, each trip back into the code he found a little something different, instead of prying more deeply into the existing material. I wish there was a bevy of clues to sift through that was visible on each trip. Think something like Dial M For Murder, where you have to track multiple little threads the whole way.

Instead, most of the effort is spent on watching these two flirt the whole time. The point of the movie is supposed to be unravelling this mystery, so I could care less whether or not this guy is gonna be going on a date afterwards. Like my signature says, too many movies are filled with another new relationship that I find difficult to invest myself in after watching the thousanth couple meet up during a crisis. I realize this ties into

Spoiler:
a hopeful ending, but while I was trying to work out who the bomber was, I didn't care about the relationship.

As for the creation of a new universe, I had some problems there too. Maybe it's the science geek in me acting up, but I didn't buy the logic here. So by hacking the mind of a dead person, they created a whole new universe for Colter to live in? Said universe would exist either in the rotting brain or in a computer system, and would last only as long as either of those wouldn't it? Popular theory states that a new universe is created every time somebody makes a decision, but that's a stretch here.

In the end, I wish somebody detail-oriented would've helmed this one. Brian DePalma bringing his A game would've been perfect for this one. Duncan Jones showed major, major promise with Moon, but I felt Source Code came nowhere near that.
Old 02-04-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
Dollhouse.
Forgot about that show. I tend to associate the rested button with Smallville since everything always perfectly backtracked to zero character growth almost every week. I think people around here would even refer to it as the "Smallville Reset Button".
Old 05-06-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Saw this for the third time (I think) and still enjoyed it a lot. Only thing I can't get past is in the end when Gyllenhaal assumes that guy's life, there's no real moral code for that guy who, from what we know, was just some innocent dude.
Old 05-06-18, 06:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Only thing I can't get past is in the end when Gyllenhaal assumes that guy's life, there's no real moral code for that guy who, from what we know, was just some innocent dude.
really? i didn't take it like that at all. i thought he didn't take the guy's body and was going to continue to be this half brain dead, half alive experiment/tool. it was sad actually...
Old 05-06-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
really? i didn't take it like that at all. i thought he didn't take the guy's body and was going to continue to be this half brain dead, half alive experiment/tool. it was sad actually...
Ah, that is true. Thanks.