DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/56443-why-ben-stiller-most-underrated-comedian-hollywood.html)

American Loser 07-17-00 02:01 PM

Anybody who has seen his stuff knows he's funny as hell but he's only had like two hits out of 30 movies. Why is that?

badger1997 07-17-00 04:33 PM

Um...because he's not really that funny. That and his humor is occassionally funny, but some times it is too out there for most people to apprecitate. I personally thought he was good directing the Cable Guy, but everybody went expecting Jim Carey to talk out his ass and left dissapointed. Stiller was going for a completely different vibe and barely anybody caught it.

------------------
"Many an unfortunate marriage has been prevented by a good
hanging." -Shakespeare

Supermallet 07-18-00 03:35 AM

Ben Stiller is a hit and miss comedian. When he gets something funny, he does it quite well, but, when he misses, he's way off. I chuckled maybe twice through all of Mystery Men. Yet I loved the Cable Guy. Everyone has his off days.

------------------
"All arts can and must wait. They may even wait to live until after the artist is dead. Only the ridiculous costs of cinematography force it to instant success, so it is satisfied with being mere entertainment."
-Jean Cocteau

Darren Garrison 07-18-00 03:39 AM

The ONLY thing I've ever liked Stiller in is There's Something About Mary.

BoatDrinks 07-18-00 05:57 AM

I think you need to judge his "comicness" based, not on movies he has acted in, but rather his own material. Like his TV show he had was pretty brilliant. Sure, sometimes it missed (as all comedy does) but for the most part, he was doing some really terrific stuff.

------------------
"Don't move until you see it."

jpcamb 07-18-00 05:04 PM

Well Pemenant Mindnight was suck, but I still love the Ben Stiller Show episode where he did the Last of The Mohicans Workout, where he runs through the woods. He is sort of hit or miss but I keep hoping....

Jericho 07-19-00 03:03 AM

I think the best comedy he was in was Flirting with Disaster, but it can all depend on the movie and who's working on it.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

midnightmetro 07-20-00 06:29 AM

Probably because all of his superpowers come from his unsurpassed rage.I could be wrong.

American Loser 09-14-00 11:51 PM

I heard his new movie Meet The Parents is much funnier than it appears to be in the trailers.

Jackskeleton 09-15-00 01:04 AM

I dunno what it is about him. i just don't find him to funny. http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/tongue.gif

big whoppa 09-15-00 02:11 PM

...because he starred in Mystery Men??? http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/smile.gif

Patman 09-15-00 03:00 PM

I didn't think Ben Stiller was all that bad in "Keeping The Faith".

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs

thejammy 09-15-00 03:48 PM

Because he is underrated, his father is a much funnier man.

------------------
Father, The sleeper has awoken

terminator911 09-16-00 01:24 PM

I have not seen him in any other movies othe than Something About Mary... but that new movie w/him & Robert Deniro looks really funny!

BTW I loved The Cable Guy! http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/smile.gif

Benjamin Buttocks 10-06-00 09:02 AM

Meet The Parents looks hilarious and his father is funny.

Jackskeleton 10-06-00 06:03 PM

Meet the parents was one of the funnest movies i have seen this year. Great stuff. robert de niro just makes the movie. classic laughs.

Frech_64x 10-08-00 06:50 PM

I loved Meet the Parents.

3 out of 4 stars.

* Meet the Parents - My Review * http://www.writtenbyme.com/articles/575079060.shtml

------------------
- There is no spoon -

Amadeus 02-01-03 01:54 PM

Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood?

I don't know? :confused:

jessecrx 02-01-03 02:35 PM

-"You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut the hell up! Now you will go to sleep, or I will put you to sleep. Check out the name tag. You're in my world now, grandma."

Happy Gilmore :D

he was hilarious in that small part he played

marty888 02-01-03 05:10 PM

Re: Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood?

Originally posted by k-qwick
I don't know? :confused:

Gotta love this place ..... where else could it take a forum member named <b>k-qwick</b> over <b>two years</b> to post a definitive answer.... -wink-

Amadeus 02-01-03 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood?

Originally posted by marty888
Gotta love this place ..... where else could it take a forum member named <b>k-qwick</b> over <b>two years</b> to post a definitive answer.... -wink-
Thanks.:)

spainlinx0 02-02-03 01:20 AM

No one liked Mystery Men but me? I love Ben Stiller. Great in Tenenbaums.

kenny79 02-02-03 01:52 AM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
No one liked Mystery Men but me?
Watched it last night. One great joke after another.

HistoryProf 02-02-03 02:50 AM

geez, i don't know....

There's Something About Mary
Zoolander
Mystery Men
Keeping the Faith
Meet the Parents
Royal Tenenbaums
Zero Effect
Flirting With Disaster
Reality Bites

.....that's a pretty f'n impressive line-up to me.....all good films and all VERY entertaining. Ben Stiller is one of the funniest people in America, plain and simple. If you don't think so, well then, I guess you don't have very good taste ;) :D ;)

Amadeus 02-02-03 07:33 AM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
No one liked Mystery Men but me? I love Ben Stiller. Great in Tenenbaums.
I gotta agree with you there.He's made some funny as heck movies.And yes Mystery Men was great.

LBPound 02-02-03 08:44 AM

Heavyweights isn't a fantastic film, but he's pretty damn funny in that. And his little suppporting role in Happy Gilmore is hilarious too.

spainlinx0 02-02-03 02:32 PM

I mean come on my name's not Stab Boy. (Yeah I know Stiller didn't say that.)

Franksta 02-02-03 07:58 PM

i think the Cable Guy is one of the most underrated comedies ever. people were expecting Jim Carry to act exactly like Ace Ventura. and the Cable Guy is actually a pretty dark comedy with some social commentary.

Groucho 04-13-04 12:09 PM

I haven't seen this many banned members in one place since my vacation to Burley, Idaho!

davidlynchfan 04-13-04 01:04 PM

They souped up the sig. lines!

QuiGonJosh 04-13-04 01:32 PM

Ben Stiller aint funny...now his pops Jerry is funny as shit! Man...that guys a comic genius!

Rivero 04-13-04 06:17 PM

Ben Stiller's bumbling idiot/romantically inept schtick is old. Owen Wilson's sarcastic surfer-dude schtick is getting there.

jekbrown 04-13-04 08:29 PM

yeah, BS is pretty hit or miss... funny as heck brawling with a dog in SAM, but very cringe-o-riffic in his dance scene in Along Came Polly.

Jack Black ownz him in every way.

j

DVDHO 04-13-04 10:05 PM

Nothing special,I use to like him during the Something About Mary days but he plays the same freakin role in everyone of his movie's,I hated his last 2 movies and will probably not go to his movies any more unless it gets praise.

Slow Hands 03-05-05 05:34 PM

Ben Stiller To Make 'Tropic Thunder'

Ben Stiller has announced two new projects that should see him continue to rule the comedy roost for the foreseeable future.

After a hugely successful 2004, when the smash hits 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Dodgeball' cancelled out duds like 'Envy', 'Our House' and 'Along Came Polly', it looks like the seemingly omnipresent funnyman is all set to have a similarly successful 2005.

This week his production company Red Hour announced plans to make two new comedies in the near future, with Stiller starring in both and possibly even directing.

The first to roll before cameras will probably be 'Tropic Thunder', a high concept comedy that Stiller has been developing ever since he worked on 'Empire of the Sun' way back in 1987.

'What started out as a comedy about the hardship of actors having to reintegrate into society after taking the two week Dale Dye boot camp and filming a war movie has turned into a comedy about five actors who go on location and find themselves relying on their boot camp experiences when they get stuck in a real war-like situation' Stiller told Variety.

The other project is the intriguingly titled 'CivilWarLand in Bad Decline', a labour of love that has also long been in development.

Based on a George Saunders novella, it tells the tale of a downtrodden administrator who unwittingly employs a contract killer to stop gangs who are terrorising the visitors to his civil war theme park, and should Stiller star, we're guessing it'll give him yet another opportunity to do his tried and tested angry man schtick.

And with the sure-fire hit 'Meet the Fockers' coming out at the end of next month, it seems that, much like 2004, barely a week will go by in 2005 when a Ben Stiller comedy doesn't get released.

Doughboy 03-05-05 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Ben Stiller To Make 'Tropic Thunder'

Ben Stiller has announced two new projects that should see him continue to rule the comedy roost for the foreseeable future.

After a hugely successful 2004, when the smash hits 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Dodgeball' cancelled out duds like 'Envy', 'Our House' and 'Along Came Polly', it looks like the seemingly omnipresent funnyman is all set to have a similarly successful 2005.

Didn't Along Came Polly do really well at the box office? His only missteps in the last 2 years have been Envy and Duplex(which I'm assuming is what "Our House" is referring to since I've never heard of that movie).

fumanstan 03-05-05 05:48 PM

Alright, i know we say "use the search feature!' all the time, but did that news really have to go in this 5 year old thread that is basically an unrelated topic on Ben Stiller? :p

matome 03-05-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Hands

<i>Along Came Polly</i> was certainly not a dud ($90 mil in the U.S. alone, grossing as much as <i>Starsky</i> but costing a lot less to make), but the other two listed qualify as such.

Slow Hands 03-05-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Didn't Along Came Polly do really well at the box office? His only missteps in the last 2 years have been Envy and Duplex(which I'm assuming is what "Our House" is referring to since I've never heard of that movie).

This is from British paper so "Duplex" is "Our House." I just thought that war movie sounded interesting. The thing with Ben Stiller is he does choose somewhat interesting roles for the most part.

Slow Hands 03-05-05 05:51 PM

Holy shit this thread is five years ago. I didn't look at the date. I thought it would be fairly recent since he did like eight movies in the past year.