Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Smash Cuts" -- any examples from '63-'76????

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
As part of some research for a film history professor I work for, I'm looking for examples of "smash cuts" in American films released between 1963-1976. Anybody have any ideas? I'm guessing with so many psychedelic-themed flicks of this period, not to mention horror films, there should be plenty of examples, but I'm having trouble coming up with some.

From wikipedia:
A smash cut is technique in film and other moving visual media where one scene abruptly cuts to another without transition, usually meant to startle the audience. To this end, the smash cut usually occurs at a crucial moment in a scene where a cut would not be expected. To heighten the impact of the cut, a disparity in the type of scene on either side of the cut is often present, going from a fast-paced frenzied scene to a tranquil one, or going from a tense scene to a pleasant one, for example. Sometimes it is also used to transition from the more peaceful scene.

An example of a clichéd smash cut is in a murder scene; a knife is raised, and thrust down, with a smash cut to a more peaceful locale (a birthday party, for example) right when impact is expected. Smash cuts are often used when a character wakes up from a nightmare, to simulate the jarring nature of that event.

Smash cuts can be used in reverse for horrifying or shocking effects, these often being subliminal in nature. The character may be, for example, simply walking through an empty hallway while abstract or horrific images may suddenly flash on the screen.

Any and all help appreciated, thanks!!!
Old 09-28-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "Smash Cuts" -- any examples from '63-'76????

Straw Dogs (during the rape scene, there are cuts to the Hoffman character out hunting)
The Wild Buch (the opening shootout, there are several shots of children standing looking startled)
Old 09-29-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

"Jaws"
"2001: A Space Odyssey"
Old 09-29-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sopranos finale
Old 09-29-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulk smash.
Old 09-29-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969) - I remember a cut from the final shot of the opening shootout to the train whistle blasting. Something like that.
Old 09-29-09, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out early Godard.

Would you call the famous match blowing / desert horizon scene in Lawrence of Arabia, a smash cut?

Or the bone in the air / spaceship in 2001
Old 09-29-09, 12:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
the famous match blowing / desert horizon scene in Lawrence of Arabia, a smash cut?
This is what I was going to say, altough it's not exactly an american film.

The Manchurian Candidate has several. There are smash cuts during the violence in the dream sequences and when the soldiers wake up from the dreams.
Old 09-29-09, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This is what I was going to say, altough it's not exactly an american film.

The Manchurian Candidate has several. There are smash cuts during the violence in the dream sequences and when the soldiers wake up from the dreams.

Manchurian Candidate would have been PERFECT, but it came out in 1962 (as did Lawrence of Arabia). We're looking for '63-'76.

Was there smash cutting in The French Connection, like in the scene where the cops are talking and they keep cutting to bloody victims of a traffic accident that have nothing to do with the plot?

What about The Exorcist? Anyone know that movie by heart and could tell me if there's smash cutting?

Actually, any old cliche "man wakes up screaming from a dream" cut would probably work. I'm thinking there was one in "Deliverance," but that was more of a fade transition than a smash cut.

Or any cut that goes from loud scene to quiet scene, or vice versa, in a way that tries to startle you.

Someone mentioned "Jaws" above. Where was the smash cut in that?

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 09-29-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
Manchurian Candidate would have been PERFECT, but it came out in 1962 (as did Lawrence of Arabia). We're looking for '63-'76.

Was there smash cutting in The French Connection, like in the scene where the cops are talking and they keep cutting to bloody victims of a traffic accident that have nothing to do with the plot?

What about The Exorcist? Anyone know that movie by heart and could tell me if there's smash cutting?

Actually, any old cliche "man wakes up screaming from a dream" cut would probably work. I'm thinking there was one in "Deliverance," but that was more of a fade transition than a smash cut.

Or any cut that goes from loud scene to quiet scene, or vice versa, in a way that tries to startle you.

Someone mentioned "Jaws" above. Where was the smash cut in that?

Thanks for your help so far.
"Jaws" goes from the woman being eaten, a brief pause, and then a cut to Brody relaxing on the beach.
Old 09-29-09, 03:33 PM

Zabriskie Point had some i believe. phenomenal film, too! even though it's looked at as Antonioni's worst from many people.
Old 10-01-09, 02:33 PM
Banned

Point Blank
Old 10-05-09, 04:09 PM
Banned

Rosemary's Baby