Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009) — with Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009) — with Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009) — with Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov

Watched the BD last night. What a really fun flick. I loved the way the whole thing was shot. Thank you Ti West we get so much BS nowadays its so nice to be refreshed with a good horror film.

BTW for Gods sake if anyone ever asked you guys if you are the babysitter......

Spoiler:
Say Yes!!!
Old 02-16-10, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!
Old 02-16-10, 11:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

just saw this excellent, excellent little horror flick.

who cares that the set up is almost 70 minutes bc that set up is absolutely fantastic.

usually i like my blood and guts horror movies of old, but this was so different and really builds the tension magnificently. really, truly builds slowly and you have no idea what the f--- is going on and then when you find out, it is just an emotional and tension filled roller coaster to the end.

this won't be for everyone, but given a chance and just succumb to the time and atmosphere, the pay-off is terrific.

really well done and i highly recommend. giving it to a friend/colleague of mine who shares similar tastes and loves 80's horror, in an unmarked DVD case and not tell him anything about it except to stick with it. i want to see if he can tell when it was made and see his face to find out.

Tom Noonan might be the only give away bc i am sure he would know who he is and to see he isn't as young as in Manhunter might be a tip-off.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-25-10 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that a lot of people are expecting a Friday the 13 sorta pace but this is a slow build like horror movies of the 70s and early 80's. Young audiences aren't used to that.
It kinda reminded me of one my old Favorites, Burnt Offerings.
Old 02-18-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched this last night, really good movie. It kinda had a When A Stranger Calls meets Rosemary's Baby vibe and I loved it, a hell of a lot better than the other Ti West film I seen this week (Cabin Fever 2)
Old 02-18-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I would give his first film, The Roost, another shot, since I hated it the first time...

And I still hated it. What a boring, amateurish, piece of crap that is.

He's come a long way in only three films. The difference in quality between The Roost and House of the Devil is astounding.

I understand there was a budget difference, but still.
Old 02-18-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, The Roost was a completely awful film. If you've seen that first it kind of makes HOTD even better because you may be expecting another terrible movie.
Old 02-18-10, 03:59 PM

imagine my utter surprise that my recent rental was directed by the very same director of House of the Devil. and that would be...

Spoiler:
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever

i think i read about it in the DVDTalk Forum but forgot. i haven't watched it yet and don't have high hopes, but it should be interesting to first see a surprise marvel in House and then what i believe will be a schlock-fest.
Old 02-18-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is that a spoiler?
Old 02-18-10, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
I thought I would give his first film, The Roost, another shot, since I hated it the first time...

And I still hated it. What a boring, amateurish, piece of crap that is.

He's come a long way in only three films. The difference in quality between The Roost and House of the Devil is astounding.

I understand there was a budget difference, but still.
You should watch Trigger Man.
Old 02-18-10, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Why is that a spoiler?
i like to build tension and suspense.
Old 02-24-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I absolutely loved the first seventy or so minutes of the film, but the climax was a bit of a letdown. Therein lies the essential problem of this kind of horror film - your imagination does such a superior job of envisioning all kinds of nastiness, that when it comes time for the actual reveal, it's never as good as it was in your own mind. West did a great job of building the suspense though. I wish the score during the final graveyard confrontation wasn't so modern-sounding - a bit of Carpenter-style keyboard cheese would have been far more appropriate. The Cars-esque theme music in the beginning was spot-on, I would have liked something a bit more in that vein. It took me out of the sequence a bit. A question:
Spoiler:
Did the son murder the pizza delivery guy and then drug the pizza? I was trying to figure out the logistics of that scene. Presumably he would have seen the delivery van approaching from the graveyard where he killed the girl's friend. Did he then rush back, kill the guy soundlessly (his gun had no silencer), and quickly sprinkle something on the pizza?
Noonan and Woronov were effectively creepy. Noonan has such a soft , flat voice - it really makes your skin crawl. He was memorable as a pedophile in an X-Files episode. All in all, a very fun viewing experience - it really brought me back to my Junior High days of renting washed-out VHS tapes in oversized clamshell cases!

Last edited by NoirFan; 02-24-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A question:
Spoiler:
Did the son murder the pizza delivery guy and then drug the pizza? I was trying to figure out the logistics of that scene. Presumably he would have seen the delivery van approaching from the graveyard where he killed the girl's friend. Did he then rush back, kill the guy soundlessly (his gun had no silencer), and quickly sprinkle something on the pizza?
Spoiler:
I think the number she was given that was supposedly the pizza place was actually the number for the son. When she talked to the "pizza guy" over the phone, it sounded like him. I assumed he just waited for her to call, then bought the pizza somewhere and drugged it.
Old 02-25-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
imagine my utter surprise that my recent rental was directed by the very same director of House of the Devil. and that would be...

Spoiler:
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever

i think i read about it in the DVDTalk Forum but forgot. i haven't watched it yet and don't have high hopes, but it should be interesting to first see a surprise marvel in House and then what i believe will be a schlock-fest.
It's REALLY fucking awful!
Old 02-25-10, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
It's REALLY fucking awful!
yes it was.
Old 02-25-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Spoiler:
I think the number she was given that was supposedly the pizza place was actually the number for the son. When she talked to the "pizza guy" over the phone, it sounded like him. I assumed he just waited for her to call, then bought the pizza somewhere and drugged it.
Spoiler:
They were really banking on her being in the mood for pizza then! I suppose the son could have just ordered her up the stairs at gunpoint if it came to that.
Old 02-25-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes it was.
To his credit, Ti West disowned Cabin Fever 2 after the studio basically took it away from him in the editing room.
Old 03-01-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this last night and knew nothing about it. I missed this thread somehow. I was just told that it was a horror movie in the style of the 80's horror movie. I've not been a fan of recent horror movies so hearing this intrigued me.

The movie had me at the credit sequence and then it just got better. I loved it. If I had not known who Tom Noonan was and had seen this on TV, I would have thought it was some horror movie from the 80s I hadn't seen yet.

I am however very disappointed that the DVD/VHS combo is now OOP. There's a copy on E-bay going for over $50.
Old 03-19-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one sneaky little bastard of a movie, I tell you. First of all, it's about time we get a horror film made nowadays that burns slowly and doesn't relay its scares on gore or musical stingers. A shame this didn't get a wider release or a more prominent distributor. Also cool seeing Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov show up.

Spoiler:
"Are you the babysitter?" Holy shit, did that part came out of nowhere.
Old 03-19-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
To his credit, Ti West disowned Cabin Fever 2 after the studio basically took it away from him in the editing room.
Well, he still directed all those shitty scenes. And all that atrocious acting.
It would have been a horrible movie anyway.
Old 03-19-10, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saw this movie tonight. The suspense and build up is good, but I don't care much for the ending to the film. It's rushed and too interested in gore and quick shocks - which is surprising considering the film's first hour or so, which was excellent... Honestly, it felt like the director just gave up at the end of the film.
Old 04-15-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattressman
Does anyone know what the song is that plays with the title card that sounds like a Cars instrumental?
It's an original piece that a friend of the filmmaker made for him. His name is Mike Armstrong.

I did some digging last night after watching the film for the first time wondering where I could find that song as the soundtrack on iTunes didn't include it. I was able to contact Mike via email and literally 5 minutes later he sent me the mp3 file for the opening track. He did admit that it is a riff on The Cars 'Moving in Stereo' but thanked me for my interest.

Anyways, if anyone is interested, PM me your email address and I can send it over to you.

Last edited by JayDerek; 04-15-10 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
It's an original piece that a friend of the filmmaker made for him. His name is Mike Armstrong.

I did some digging last night after watching the film for the first time wondering where I could find that song as the soundtrack on iTunes didn't include it. I was able to contact Mike via email and literally 5 minutes later he sent me the mp3 file for the opening track. He did admit that it is a riff on The Cars 'Moving in Stereo' but thanked me for my interest.

Anyways, if anyone is interested, PM me your email address and I can send it over to you.
That's very cool that he would send it to you like that. Thanks again for sharing!
Old 06-20-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Cool movie - definitely reminded me of the flicks I got yelled at for watching when I was a kid....I was NOT expecting what happens in the last half hour at all.

Wouldn't watch it again or anything but I definitely was entertained by it.
Old 12-27-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw this last night for the first time. I have to say that this along with Let the Right One In are 2 of the finest horror movies I have seen in a while. They just don't make them as good as this anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.