Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An Evening With Kevin Smith Live.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

An Evening With Kevin Smith Live.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: An Evening With Kevin Smith Live.

.....I dunno but I appreciate that it was on here cuz otherwise I'd never know.
Old 09-21-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
So...how long are these things? Cuz...60 bucks is a lot. It better be long..starts at 7 here in Dallas...hrm...

BTW I'm on the floor w/ reserved seating Row: V, seat 16.
The chicago one i went to lasted 3 hours.

Originally Posted by dhmac
Why is this live show thread in Movie Talk? Are they filming this or something?
Since the guy makes movies i thought this was the most logical place to put it. Not sure how many people on movie talk visit other.
Old 09-22-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The have filmed these in the past. On iTunes they have the London show from a few years ago. I'm actually in the trailer if you press that button!
The problem with them filming it that it slows the whole thing down as they pass the mic and turn the cameras. The 1st one I went to was great because it was a smaller room and we just shouted stuff out.
I rememeber asking him about the new (back then) Catwoman trailer when we were talking about upcoming films.
Old 09-24-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Enjoyed the first one, was a little bored with the second one. He just started to seem a little corny. It seemed more like bad standup than the first Evening.
Old 10-18-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw him tonight in Seattle. I really enjoyed most of his stuff, but his "Zack and Miri" answer went on for about an hour too long. It must have sucked for anyone waiting at the mic to ask questions.

Definitely felt it was worth the money though. He's got some great stories to share. Quite a longer show than I had expected since it didn't start until after 8.
Old 10-18-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
Saw him tonight in Seattle. I really enjoyed most of his stuff, but his "Zack and Miri" answer went on for about an hour too long. It must have sucked for anyone waiting at the mic to ask questions.

Definitely felt it was worth the money though. He's got some great stories to share. Quite a longer show than I had expected since it didn't start until after 8.
He could have trimmed the Zack and Miri answer down some, but it's also several stories in one, and it was also a pretty revealing answer. The fear of becoming irrelevant was really like personal, I think. That said, at the end, he did start repeating his point a little and belaboring it.

Wish the mike situation was better, and I wish I could have hung out longer and waited to see if he would show up somewhere afterward, because there was that guy who put his stuff on stage and Kevin told him to "meet me outside", but the friends I bought just wanted to leave.

I agree that nothing will likely top the first disc of the first Evening set. Still, it's a real credit to his skill as a public speaker that I watched the second and third Evenings for the first time today before the show, and even now I still only feel 60% sure I don't need to hear Kevin Smith talk for awhile.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 10-18-09 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-18-09, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

from Kevin's twitter:

Seattle! I gave u my heart & u gave me a pen - with which to sign a return contract 4 next year! Thx 4 making me feel like a very funny guy.

I was barely able to go. I had been battling with the flu for a week and somehow willed myself to get better just in time to go. If it had been Friday night, there would have been no way I would have been able to drive 60 miles each way and wouldn't have subjected anyone to myself (don't worry, not contagious now).

I think I'm going to have to watch Zak and Miri again very soon, after his story about it I think I'll have a better appreciation for it. I definately want to hear a couple of his smodcasts now - very curious about the "Hellen Keller" one (I suspect she was a fraud - or at least the people surrounding her were). And, am now officially excited to see A Couple of Dicks. I also had no idea about any of that Wayne Gretzky stuff.

I'll definately be back next year, hopefully with better seats.
Old 10-18-09, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I enjoyed it, and i really enjoyed his Zack and Miri story. Really got personal on that one, and thats what i enjoy about him, just seems like a normal guy. I really hope he decides to fund Red State himself because the way he talked about it had me intrigued. Also found it interesting that Mosier has family in Whidbey.
Old 10-18-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Kevin's twitter this morning:

Seattle! I'm walk-of-shaming it out of our hotel room, leaving you to wake and wonder if we drunkenly fucked (we did). Thx for a great nite!

I miss him already. I'm already making plans to see him again next year and to get better seats. What was the deal with the 2 rows of practically empty ones on the front right side of the orchestra? I tried to move up later during the show but was denied...and they sat empty the entire show. Were that many people stuck in traffic?

I saw that he went to "Dicks" burgers earlier in the day. I bet the jokes were nonstop on that side trip.
Old 11-06-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dallas show on 11/7:

Is the meet and greet not happening? I got an email from ticketmaster that I was getting refunded. IS it my seat that is not gonna get the meet & greet, or is it just not happening at all?
Old 11-06-09, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wait....let me check my email. I'm going to this as well...hrm...

*checking* yeah..I got nothing. Seems like I'm ready to go!!