Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When In Rome 2010 Dir: Mark Steven Johnson, Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel. Rom Com

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When In Rome 2010 Dir: Mark Steven Johnson, Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel. Rom Com

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: When In Rome 2010 Dir: Mark Steven Johnson, Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel. Rom Com

Currently a sterling 18% at RT

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/when_in_rome/

This looks even worse than most lame rom-coms.

Pass.
Old 01-29-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: When In Rome 2010 Dir: Mark Steven Johnson, Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel. Rom Com

At least Kristen Bell has Assassin's Creed to fall back on and Josh Duhamel has Transformers. So both should be fine. Can't say the same for whoever watches this movie...
Old 01-30-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked Kristen Bell in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but I didn't really understand why people liked her...until I watched all three seasons of Veronica Mars back-to-back-to-back in less than a week. Then, I got it. Seeing her star in movies like this make me sad...she deserves better.
Old 01-30-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched Veronica Mars when it first aired and quit rather quickly. I never understood all the love the show (and she) gets.
Old 01-30-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I watched Veronica Mars when it first aired and quit rather quickly. I never understood all the love the show (and she) gets.
Maybe because you quit rather quickly.
Old 01-30-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, how old are you?
Old 01-30-10, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
is it sad that the commericals are saying the big reviews are from Facebook
Chris2341 writes "i saw this because my girlfriend promised me a blowjob"

John316 writes "The movie was less traumatic to endure than giving up my only begotten son"

ParnellatthePonderosa said" between death and this movie i would choose this movie"
Old 01-30-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Just curious, how old are you?
29. Why? Too old to get into the show?
Old 01-30-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Maybe because you quit rather quickly.
I tried a few other times while it was on the air but it never grew on me.
Old 01-30-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once the main mystery plot of VM kicks in to gear a few episodes in, its a blast to watch,and can easily be done in marathon sessions.

Oh and due to the snow, I can't "take one for the team" and be the first one to really give my thoughts on the movie.
Old 01-30-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I remember was watching the first 4 or 5 episodes and not getting into it. I know I tried again when it was getting real popular and still not liking it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-30-10 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While there are a few laughs here and there, this is a pretty poor excuse of a movie, even for a rom-com. Of course, you have to somehow believe that picking coins out of a fountain in Italy will compel those who flipped the coins into the fountain hoping for love into loving the person doing the pilfering, I mean, picking of coins from the fountain.

The script is pretty awful, giving very little for either Kristin Bell (Beth) or Josh Duhamel (Nick) to do to build any credible chemistry, and opting for lame scenes involving Beth fending off the litter of suitors (Jon Heder, Danny DeVito, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard, and a surprise assistant whose appearance did make me smile momentarily).

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
Old 02-01-10, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the trailer was fun, but at feature length - oh god, this got worse and worse as it went along

Originally Posted by Patman
While there are a few laughs here and there, this is a pretty poor excuse of a movie, even for a rom-com. Of course, you have to somehow believe that picking coins out of a fountain in Italy will compel those who flipped the coins into the fountain hoping for love into loving the person doing the pilfering, I mean, picking of coins from the fountain.

The script is pretty awful, giving very little for either Kristin Bell (Beth) or Josh Duhamel (Nick) to do to build any credible chemistry, and opting for lame scenes involving Beth fending off the litter of suitors (Jon Heder, Danny DeVito, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard, and a surprise assistant whose appearance did make me smile momentarily).

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
how very true. The movie just got dumber and dumber as it progressed - it was a cute premise, but the final film was just utterly lame. I did though like the in-joke
Spoiler:
to 'Napolean Dynamite'
- yeah sure it was a tad forced, but I laughed (the only laugh btw)
Old 02-01-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I tried a few other times while it was on the air but it never grew on me.
In short, the show is a season long commitment. Jumping in to watch one here and one there isn't effective.

In length, the show builds on itself. There is a story arc/case that spans the entire season and is very much the core of the show. Each episode generally had a stand alone story, but also covered a bit of the main arc (think X-files or Burn Notice).

The acting is very suspect early on in the first season. Like most shows, it takes a full season for the writers and actors to get comfortable with the material. Once it gets going though it's solid, through and through.

I'm another that didn't get the appeal of K.Bell until I watched V.Mars. I burned through all three seasons in no time and now I'm part of the problem.
Old 02-04-10, 05:33 PM

I enjoyed the movie for what it was....1.5 hours of entertainment. The ensemble cast was random, but funny and I enjoyed Duhamel's lead, quirky role. 2 thumbs up for that.
Old 02-04-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fernsita
I enjoyed the movie for what it was....1.5 hours of entertainment. The ensemble cast was random, but funny and I enjoyed Duhamel's lead, quirky role. 2 thumbs up for that.
If I recall correctly you also loved Old Dogs. Just sayin'.
Old 02-04-10, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
If I recall correctly you also loved Old Dogs. Just sayin'.

When in Romeis flat out terrible. I had a free ticket so I went to see it the other day. Hopefully I don't see anything worse this year. I like Kristin Bell but I don't think she has the screen presence to pull off the transition to movies. And the lead actor has less charisma than a cardboard cutout. It's the kind of romantic comedy that relies on characters bumping into things in order to generate laughs. No chemistry between the leads and the jokes are cringe inducingly bad. I had pretty low expectations for this but the flick failed to meet even those.
Old 02-04-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So only four people of the 60,000+ DVDtalkers saw this? That's pretty pathetic. Or, are only four admitting to have seen it?
Old 02-05-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So only four people of the 60,000+ DVDtalkers saw this? That's pretty pathetic. Or, are only four admitting to have seen it?
If it comes to my local second run theater, I'll see it on a Monday night when it's $1 admission, which is the same amount as I would pay to rent it from Redbox, but I would get to see Kristen Bell on the big screen.
Old 02-05-10, 11:05 AM

Haha, I like all sorts of films. If you are a romantic comedy fanatic like myself, I'd suggest checking it out. That's all...
Old 02-05-10, 11:10 AM
Banned

I watched a clip of the movie on some talk show. I don't remember who the guest was. It's a clip of everyone being stuck in traffic inside the tiny car. Danny Devito is going on and on about how small the car is, calling it a clown car.

In a smart comedy, they would actually never mention how dinky the car is. We would get the humor and not need to have it explained to us.
Old 02-07-10, 06:00 PM

You have to see the entire part of that movie to understand the joke.
Old 06-19-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I rented this off Netflix and watched it this afternoon.

Watched alot of romantic comedies in my lifetime and this was probably one of the dumbest, charmless and lifeless of all of them. I couldn't believe that Disney/Touchstone hired the same guy who directed Dare Devil and Ghost Rider to helm this. I like Josh Duhamel from his days on Las Vegas, but his character in this film came across more as a caricature of other and better romantic comedy lead males. The guys who played the other suitors (Shepard, DeVito, Heder) came across as bad cartoon characters. Kristen Bell came across as just an actor collecting a pay check. She had zero charm and no chemistry at all with Duhamel. The plot itself is just dumb. I think pretty much everything in this film which the writers/director hoped to bring about cheers, laughs and tears failed and was done much better elsewhere.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-20-10 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Horrible from start to finish - insipid, uninspired and so fucking tired I couldn't believe it. I watched this for free and still felt cheated.