Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Downey Jr. in talks to play the vampire Lestat.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 02:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17082
We've been scrambling all week to confirm the following report, especially since it came from a very reliable source and is insanely logical considering the popularity of vampires these days. I guess something good has come from the success of Twilight as Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Universal Pictures is looking to restart Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, which tells the tale of the vampire Lestat Du Lioncort (through his narration), a nobleman-turned-vampire in the late 18th century. No word yet on how they plan on unrolling this franchise, but we did find out who they are talking with to replace Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend. Read on for the skinny.

We have confirmed this afternoon that ROBERT DOWNEY JR. is in close talks to play the vampire Lestat in Universal Pictures' The Vampire Chronicles, a newly rebooted franchise based on Anne Rice's popular novels.

Lestat appears as a major character in both motion picture adaptations of The Vampire Chronicles novels. In Neil Jordan's 1994 film adaptation of Interview with the Vampire, he is portrayed by Tom Cruise. In the 2002 film adaptation of Queen of the Damned, he is played by Stuart Townsend.

The Vampire Chronicles is a series of novels by Anne Rice that revolves around the fictional character Lestat de Lioncourt, a French nobleman made into a vampire in the 18th century.

http://coronacomingattractions.com/n...vampire-lestat
One of the leading horror websites on the net, Bloody Disgusting, is breaking the news that Robert Downey Jr. is in "close talks" to play the role of the vampire Lestat in a reboot of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles in development at Universal Pictures. While BD's source is reliable and the site got secondary confirmation of Downey's interest and the discussions afoot, what is a mystery is what form Universal's movie will take. Will they remake the first book in Rice's series, Interview With the Vampire? Or do they want to start things off by adapting the second book but the one that reveals the origins of the character, The Vampire Lestat?

Tom Cruise played Lestat in Neil Jordan's 1994 film Interview With the Vampire. While that movie was a critical and commercial success for Warner Bros., Cruise wasn't interested in reprising Lestat in a sequel and so the studio recast the role with Stuart Townsend before they lost the screen rights. The result was 2002's poorly received Queen of the Damned, a movie that didn't interest fans of Rice's vampires or horror buffs either.

After reaching the bottom of the rung both with his personal life and film career, Downey is now a white hot commodity in Hollywood because of his comeback career performance as Tony Stark in Iron Man. He just finished shooting Iron Man 2 and will be promoting what could be a new franchise for him playing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Victorian age sleuth, Sherlock Holmes. If Downey does indeed work out a deal to play the rock star bloodsucker of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles there's a good chance indeed that he may have found another role that his fans will delight in seeing him play.

i would see anything RDJ is in and would absolutely be up for this. i also loved "Interview with a Vampire", but not entirely because of Cruise. i thought Pitt was much more believable as the tortured undead pupil of Lestat.

could be interesting to see a resurrection of an adult vampire franchise and hopefully be the anti-Twilight and nothing like the putrid "Queen of the Damned".
Old 08-17-09, 02:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Robert Downey Jr. in talks to play the vampire Lestat.

Too old.
Old 08-17-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone could do better than Cruise did.
Old 08-17-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Remember that pre-Ann Rice era, where vampires were AWESOME?
Old 08-17-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Cruise (and Banderas) was what made that movie watchable.
Old 08-17-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Interview with the Vampire, never saw Queen of the Damned though.

I'm down for this, Downey seems like a fine choice. Cruise does currently own that role though, IMO.
Old 08-17-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. One of the handful of Cruise films I liked.
Old 08-17-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interview was a great film.

Queen of the Damned SUCKED.

(comparing both to the books, they both sucked).

RDJ could do justice to Lestat. I would LOVE to see them make a faithful adaption of the 2nd book in the series: THE VAMPIRE LESTAT

That would be awesome. However if they are planning more drek like QotD, then they should just leave well enough alone.
Old 08-17-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Seems kind of soon for a remake, though I can understand wanting to reboot the franchise since Warners compromised it with that godawful "Queen of the Damned."

RDJ does seem a bit old to play Lestat, though. I could maybe see him playing someone like Marius, though.
Old 08-17-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm normally not a huge fan of Crazy Cruise but he was AWESOME as Lestat in Interview With the Vampire. He just nailed that character. Queen of the Damned was a terrible movie though and Stuart Townsend brought nothing to the role. I don't see Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat either.

While the whole project reeks of jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, some actors I think who would make interesting Lestats are Ewan McGregor, Leonardo DiCaprio, and James Franco. Johnny Depp is a possibility (he still looks very young for his age) as well. Alexander Skarsgard would have been perfect if he wasn't already a vampire on True Blood.
Old 08-18-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I'm normally not a huge fan of Crazy Cruise but he was AWESOME as Lestat in Interview With the Vampire. He just nailed that character. Queen of the Damned was a terrible movie though and Stuart Townsend brought nothing to the role. I don't see Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat either.

While the whole project reeks of jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, some actors I think who would make interesting Lestats are Ewan McGregor, Leonardo DiCaprio, and James Franco. Johnny Depp is a possibility (he still looks very young for his age) as well. Alexander Skarsgard would have been perfect if he wasn't already a vampire on True Blood.
What he said.
Old 08-18-09, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked the film of Interview and thought Tom Cruise was very good.

Downey is kind of old for the part, but he's a virtuoso actor and I'd be happy to see him play it.
Old 08-18-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

As long as they do the book The Vampire Lestat well, don't really care who's playing. Downey could be a bit old but could pull it off.
Old 08-18-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He is too old, might as well give the part to Cruise again.
Old 08-18-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No.
Old 08-18-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone? Really? Shia Labeuf? Ashton Kutcher? Scottie Pippen?
Old 08-18-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

** Famous writer Anne Rice commented about the rumoured news of Robert Downey Jr. as :estat in the upcoming reboot. "I'm delighted to comment. First off, I cannot confirm or deny the rumor. I have not received official word as to the truth of it yet," she said. "But I can say without hesitation that I love Robert Downey Jr. and I think he would make a fabulous Vampire Lestat. He is a major actor, a powerhouse of talent and personality, and he evinces an irrepressible and seductive charm. He would bring great energy and skill to the role. I would love to see this happen. I've loved Robert Downey Jr. ever since I saw him in RESTORATION years ago, and I thought he was magical and powerful in IRON MAN. -- So I hope the rumors are true. - I've posted on my Facebook "fan" page saying pretty much the same thing.

"Some are saying he is too old to play the part," she continues. "This is absolutely not true. He is quite youthful. Besides, Lestat is a man when he is made into a vampire. A twenty year old man in the 18th century is the equivalent of an older man today. Age just shouldn't be an issue here, not with an actor of this scope and charisma. - I'm thrilled at the prospect that this rumor might be true." (thanks to Bloody-Disgusting.com)
Old 08-18-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I think it's a waste of Downey's talents to have him play such a humorless character.
Old 08-19-09, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert Downey is a great actor, but I just don't see him as Lestat. It's partly his age, partly other aspects. I actually thought Stuart Townsend gave a decent Lestat performance, and I liked what Cruise did even though I was skeptical initially.

Since vampires don't age, they need a younger actor, probably 30-ish. And why not get someone actually French who speaks English? Why limit the casting to a Brit or an American (or an Australian)? France has plenty of talent, and I'd rather see someone relatively unknown explode into the role than watch another Big Name take their obligatory swing at an iconic character.
Old 08-19-09, 09:00 AM

Christian Bale as Lestat. Nuff said.

But in all seriousness, it might work.
Old 08-19-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Scottie Pippen as lestat.
Old 08-19-09, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Scottie Pippen as lestat.
You're laughing now, but just wait until that casting sweeps the Movie Producer draft game!
Old 08-19-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just in: Robert Downey Jr. is also in talks to play Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg's long-delayed biopic, to replace Benicio del Toro in the current problematic production of The Wolf Man, to star as Jesus in a remake of Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, to take over the role of Indiana Jones in the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Curse of Chupacabra, to portray Barack Obama in a new feature based on the 2008 election, and, in a big-screen adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic mystery series, to take on the beloved role of Miss Marple.
Old 08-19-09, 01:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Just in: Robert Downey Jr. is also in talks to play Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg's long-delayed biopic, to replace Benicio del Toro in the current problematic production of The Wolf Man, to star as Jesus in a remake of Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, to take over the role of Indiana Jones in the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Curse of Chupacabra, to portray Barack Obama in a new feature based on the 2008 election, and, in a big-screen adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic mystery series, to take on the beloved role of Miss Marple.
i'd see all of these!
Old 08-19-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.