Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Legion (2009) Quaid, Bettany

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Legion (2009) Quaid, Bettany

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Legion (2009) Quaid, Bettany

getting some good reviews...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1216680-legion/
Old 01-22-10, 11:49 AM
Cool New Member

As a Christian I am pretty liberal when it comes to Scifi and horror taking the tenents of my faith and messing them all up. Example: "Supernatural". I love the show but take it with a grain of salt when "Archangel" so and so starts going off on how shitty God is treating them. But I doubt I'll see "Legion" not because of my religious convictions, but because it looks and sounds like a movie that has already been made 10 times.
Old 01-23-10, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw it tonight. It was shit. I felt like I was slapped with a dumbstick as I walked out of the theater. Slap! That'll be $10.25 please.

If that is the best God can do in his effort to wipe out the human race, I am not impressed with his work.
Old 01-23-10, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darqleo

Yes that 18% is stellar.

But on the positive side... it's rocking those 'I Am Legend' CGI effects!
Old 01-23-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was pretty shiity. Went last night just to see if it could be okay or bad and it was bad. All the good stuff was in the trailer. If it was as long as the tralier it would have been great. Otherwise it is a turd.
Old 01-24-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The trailer really made this out to be much better & different than what I seen. lol I don't think it was horrible or anything but it was nothing special at all. It had some decent action & it was entertaining for the most part. Bettany was a total bad ass in this, one of his better performances plus Dennis Quaid & Charles S. Dutton turned in solid performances like always. Kevin Durand was good in his small role but I thought Lucas Black was a real bad choice for this & Tyrese was..... Tyrese.
Old 01-24-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darqleo
i suppose 9 luke warm reviews is "some" - what does that make 30 really shitty ones?
Old 01-27-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It's not terribly bad... at least as far as premise, but it's disappointing in that there could have been a pretty decent movie here.

There's a lot of unanswered questions I had....
Spoiler:
If GOD was so willing to just waste every human being, why bother with sending the angels? A wave of the hand could have done the same.

Where was Satan in all of this? I'm sure he'd be partying up a storm knowing he'd have a shit ton of fresh souls and that God had given up.

What made THAT baby so special?

I thought it gave too many preachy moments for the characters' one on ones. And was disappointed that Michael says bigger and badder things were coming.. and all there was after the ice cream man
Spoiler:
was seeing the boils on the father as he explodes.. and that was it until Gabriel.

Overall, it was a 5 out of 10 for effort. But I will say, after the fight scenes with Michael and Gabriel, I really really want a DC Hawkman movie. That would make for some awesome Thanagarian battles.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-27-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It's not terribly bad... at least as far as premise, but it's disappointing in that there could have been a pretty decent movie here.

There's a lot of unanswered questions I had....
Spoiler:
If GOD was so willing to just waste every human being, why bother with sending the angels? A wave of the hand could have done the same.

Where was Satan in all of this? I'm sure he'd be partying up a storm knowing he'd have a shit ton of fresh souls and that God had given up.

What made THAT baby so special?

I thought it gave too many preachy moments for the characters' one on ones. And was disappointed that Michael says bigger and badder things were coming.. and all there was after the ice cream man
Spoiler:
was seeing the boils on the father as he explodes.. and that was it until Gabriel.

Overall, it was a 5 out of 10 for effort. But I will say, after the fight scenes with Michael and Gabriel, I really really want a DC Hawkman movie. That would make for some awesome Thanagarian battles.
After reading a detailed summary of the movie
Spoiler:
it seems like one of those Divine Test sort of deals. As you said, God could have wiped out mankind with the wave of His hand if He so wished.

For those that want spoilers from beginning to end: http://www.themoviespoiler.com/Spoilers/legion.html
Old 01-27-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
After reading a detailed summary of the movie
Spoiler:
it seems like one of those Divine Test sort of deals. As you said, God could have wiped out mankind with the wave of His hand if He so wished.
Spoiler:
Just to get Michael to act as a martyr? And that it came down to personal moral choice on the part of Gabriel? I mean he's following the will of God! It makes all others that do the same seem like sheep, thus a mockery of religion in general.

The baby thing still doesn't make any sense to me, as much as it was for Jeep's benefit. It's not as if it was the second coming of Christ since it seemed that Charlie was no Virgin Mary. I just didn't care for the Neo reference when it came to Jeep (who still needed to seek out prophets at the end on the care and well being of the child).

So much potential, so poorly written and executed.

I still want the Hawkman movie tho.
Old 01-27-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not saying it's right or well written. It's just the same lazy trap most religion based thrillers use. They go for the Abraham arguing with God not to destroy all in Sodom which thus led to a chance for salvation for Lot and his family angle.

Of course that story ended with Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt and his daughters later getting him drunk so he'd get them pregnant... Creepy book, the Bible. And I'm a Christian.
Old 01-27-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, I hope I didn't offend anyone with that comment regarding Lot and his daughters. It's just one of those parts of the Bible that really weird me out.
Old 01-27-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow - from the way they were marketing this one, I thought there would be more than 5 minutes of action in 110 minutes...but there literally wasn't. So much talking. So little action. Hugely disappointing in that regard but not excruciatingly bad like a Max Payne or something... still, a decent cast and premise just pissed away.
Old 01-28-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So enough action to edge it passed Max Payne but not worth more than a mattine or rental?
Old 01-28-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So enough action to edge it passed Max Payne but not worth more than a mattine or rental?
Just caught this today and came away disappointed, but I didn't think it was Max Payne bad. The end really fell apart even more than I could have expected from a movie about battling possessed angels.

I think it would be a good lazy rental without any expectations. The action was a bit sparse but I didn't find it as lacking as others.
Old 01-30-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After spending half the movie setting up a group of characters that end up stuck inside a roadside diner, the movie seems to skip a reel where you can't really make heads-or-tails of the appearance of Michael and Gabriel, angels from on-high in a time where the apocalypse seems eminent as the unborn child of a pregnant girl about to give birth becomes the target for some crazy creatures that show up out of the blue. The script is just incomprensible once they board up the diner to keep out the freaks that show up looking for the unborn baby.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.
Old 01-31-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know its hard to pass judgement on this film as it seemed like half a movie... Kind of like I walked in 5 mins late and left 10 mins early. May be much better to see if there was anything cut out because there were just way too many wtf moments, which is a shame because this had some potential. Agree not Max Payne bad and may be worth a rental, especially if there are some deleted scenes on the disc.
Old 02-22-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
You know its hard to pass judgement on this film as it seemed like half a movie... Kind of like I walked in 5 mins late and left 10 mins early. May be much better to see if there was anything cut out because there were just way too many wtf moments, which is a shame because this had some potential.
Agreed. The wife and I saw this tonight. I'm a bit disappointed in it, honestly. When I initially saw the trailer, it had so much promise. I thought it would be an over-the-top flick but it really wasn't. Just a whole lot of talk with very little action.
Old 05-11-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched it tonight. Horrendous. What Battlefield Earth was to Scientology, this is to Christianity.
Old 05-12-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A poor man's Terminator.
Old 11-27-10, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damnit, Lemmy. I want details from you. I want this movie to be Lemmyed.
Old 11-27-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Saw it months ago...and LOVED it. A totally fun and entertaining flick for me.
Old 11-27-10, 04:25 PM
Banned

By the way, I hope I didn't offend anyone with that comment regarding Lot and his daughters. It's just one of those parts of the Bible that really weird me out.
Did not offend me.
Remember now Abraham was trying to talk God out of destroying Sodom and asked if he would kill the wicked along with the good. Turns out out Lot was the only good in the city. The wife even after being told not to look back had to. Could this be because she loved the city and it's wicked ways?
When the 2 angels arrive at Sodom the men want to have sex with them and Lot says to the men to take his daughters instead that they are virgins, but leave the angels alone.
Lot's daughters may have been virgins, but he knew they were shall we say the Miley Cyrus of their time.
The people in the Bible act no different than the people today.
Old 11-27-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Good one!

Oh...waitasec...you are being sarcastic...aren't you?

nope. i liked it a lot.
Old 11-28-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I enjoyed it, although I don't quite get why the child was supposed to be so important. It was Quaid's son that made the angel decide mankind was ok, and it was Quaid's son that made God want to let man live.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.