Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite 50's sci-fi film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 50's sci-fi film?
The Day the Earth Stood Still
21.54%
The Thing from Another World
2.31%
When Worlds Collide
0%
Donovan's Brain
0%
Invaders from Mars
1.54%
It Came From Outer Space
0.77%
The War of the Worlds
6.92%
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
4.62%
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
3.85%
Gojira
10.77%
Them!
6.92%
The Quartermass Xperiment
0.77%
Tarantula
0%
This Island Earth
0%
Forbidden Planet
22.31%
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
5.38%
The Incredible Shrinking Man
4.62%
The Blob
2.31%
The Mysterians
0%
20 Million Miles to Earth
1.54%
The Fly
0%
I Married a Monster from Outer Space
0.77%
It! The Terror from Beyond Space
0%
Plan 9 from Outer Space
2.31%
Other - please specify
0.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 50's sci-fi film?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 10:27 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Favorite 50's sci-fi film?

Honestly, there are too many classics in this list. Mind boggling, almost.
Old 04-12-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I just checked to see which one I'd voted for and it was THEM! But if I'd voted after seeing INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS last October, I probably would have voted for that. And there are times when I would have voted for GOJIRA.
Old 04-12-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I think time has been remarkably kind to it, and I prefer it to the many other adaptations. The emasculating studio-imposed ending excepted, the dark paranoia is still pretty powerful, IMO.
Old 04-12-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

Old 04-12-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Honestly, there are too many classics in this list. Mind boggling, almost.
Agreed. That list is full of win, and you could probably add another twenty more from the Fifties that would equally deserve mention.

Which also points up how forgettable the science fiction genre has been in the decades since - or at least, post 1970s. I don't think it would even be possible to fill out a list of at least ten good science fiction films for any individual decade from the 1980s through the 2000s.
Old 04-12-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts

I haven't seen them all. But a lot of them are awesome.

The list is missing one of my favorites: Qatermass 2, written by Nigel Neale. It is as paranoid as the X-Files.
Old 04-12-13, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Agreed. That list is full of win, and you could probably add another twenty more from the Fifties that would equally deserve mention.

Which also points up how forgettable the science fiction genre has been in the decades since - or at least, post 1970s. I don't think it would even be possible to fill out a list of at least ten good science fiction films for any individual decade from the 1980s through the 2000s.
A few from the 80's:

Blade Runner
The Thing
Aliens
Abyss
Vidoedrome
Empire Strikes Back
Terminator
The Fly
Final Countdown
Altered States
Brazil
E.T.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 04-12-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend

Anime sci-fi features: ten exemplary titles each from the 1980s and '90s:

1980s:
Phoenix 2772
Mobile Suit Gundam Movies I, II & III
Adieu Galaxy Express
Arcadia of My Youth
Harmageddon
Macross the Movie: Do You Remember Love?
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Wicked City
Akira

1990s:
Patlabor: The Movie
Gundam F91
Roujin-Z
Patlabor 2
A Wind Named Amnesia
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Ghost in the Shell
Tenchi Muyo in Love
Tenchi Forever
Black Jack The Movie

And let's not forget the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO movies, which started in 1977 and continued into the early '80s.

In the 2000s, we got STEAMBOY and GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE, but I'm drawing a blank on others right now.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-01-13 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw this one. It's a bit of a cheat since it's not 1950s, but actually 1961.

It's bad. Gangster gets caught in the middle of atomic testing (clumsy!) and becomes the man of steel, so he sets out for revenge on the other gangsters that betrayed him. Not much sci-fi here, since he doesn't really do a lot except ward off a few bullets. And double over in pain every so often from the radiation poisoning. It's not fun like other sci-fi movies of the time either, it's actually kind of salacious in some parts. Starring no one you know, and for good reason. I need to watch a giant bug movie now to get this one off my mind.
Old 04-30-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My first time seeing this one, I think I saw some of the 80s remake years ago.
This was the best of the bunch so far. Good suspense and direction during the first half, I think the kid pulled off a good performance. A lot like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Too much repeated footage and a lot of stock footage of the US military gearing up to kick ass. One of the characters mentioned how we were going to use space to keep weapons pointed at the enemy, which was how the space race started, so I guess they wanted some USA RAH RAH in there.
The second half is weaker, with big lumbering Martians taking orders from the Great Gazoo. That was a letdown. Repeated foootage is a lot more obvious at this point.
The ending
Spoiler:
Surprised that they went with a Twilight Zone type of ending. Did the boy dream the attack? Was it a premonition? Is he caught in a time loop? Is he just nucking futs?
Old 05-01-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Just saw this one. It's a bit of a cheat since it's not 1950s, but actually 1961.

It's bad. Gangster gets caught in the middle of atomic testing (clumsy!) and becomes the man of steel, so he sets out for revenge on the other gangsters that betrayed him. Not much sci-fi here, since he doesn't really do a lot except ward off a few bullets. And double over in pain every so often from the radiation poisoning. It's not fun like other sci-fi movies of the time either, it's actually kind of salacious in some parts. Starring no one you know, and for good reason. I need to watch a giant bug movie now to get this one off my mind.
It was made in 1958. From IMDB:
Made in 1958 but not released until 1961 because of the financial failure of producer Benedict Bogeaus' original distributor, RKO. Bogeaus sat on the film for three years until he was able to sell it to Columbia for a flat fee in 1961.
It was the last film by silent film pioneer Allan Dwan who'd been directing since 1911!

And what do you mean "Starring no one you know"??? Debra Paget is my favorite starlet of the 1950s. She does a very sexy "Egyptian" dance in PRINCESS OF THE NILE (1954). Her co-star in MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE, Elaine Stewart, actually starred in a NILE knock-off, also in 1954, THE ADVENTURES OF HAJI BABA. See what you're missing?
Old 05-01-13, 10:14 AM
RIP

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I also always liked The Day of the Triffids.
Old 05-01-13, 12:19 PM
En vacance

The 80s is the 2nd best scifi decdae behind 50s.
Old 05-01-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I also always liked The Day of the Triffids.
That's 1963.
Old 05-01-13, 12:52 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's 1963.
Damn!
Old 05-29-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another good one. An undersea earthquake has uncovered some prehistoric eggs at the bottom of the Salton Sea, and they've hatched ugly giant swimming caterpillars. Some scenes reminded me a lot of Jaws. Gets a little slow in the middle, but picks up at the end. Extra points for having Hans Conried. See if you can keep track of how many times someone says, "Salton", I lost count.
Old 05-30-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
If it's "Favorite" and not "Best," then I've got to go with...

The War Of The Worlds

I love everything about that movie, but one thing in particular stands out - the voice work. Paul Frees, Les Tremayne, Sir Cedric Hardwicke - three fantastic voices all in the same movie. Of course, the movie itself is great - great script, direction, and the acting is really underrated and quite good. It's a classic, without a doubt.

But for me several films are practically tied with that one, including...

Forbidden Planet
Gojira/Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Them
When Worlds Collide
The Creature From the Black Lagoon
Hmmmm...

Four years later I think I would still say the same thing. War Of The Worlds is my favorite, but I think the best from that era was Forbidden Planet. I love all of the movies I listed here.

And one that I wouldn't put quite that high on the list, but is worth watching is

IT! The Terror From Beyond Space
That's a movie that's well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 05-31-13, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Here's another good one. An undersea earthquake has uncovered some prehistoric eggs at the bottom of the Salton Sea, and they've hatched ugly giant swimming caterpillars. Some scenes reminded me a lot of Jaws. Gets a little slow in the middle, but picks up at the end. Extra points for having Hans Conried. See if you can keep track of how many times someone says, "Salton", I lost count.
I watched this film for one of the Sci-Fi challenges on DVD Talk and I was quite impressed with it. It was largely shot on location and the monsters were all mechanically created and manipulated in real time on the set, just like they did with the ants in THEM! When they do it right, it's one of the most effective ways to make a monster movie.
Old 06-08-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Fiend Without a Face has a pretty graphic sequence for it's time, but the overall concept is a bit more creative than the execution. That's a great poster though.
I really liked the stop motion crawling brains with antennae and tendril-like arms. Very creepy. Certainly better than the earlier part of the movie when they were still invisible.
Surprisingly gory for the time, with the Fiends bleeding marinara or dissolving into applesauce. Tasty!
Old 06-09-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Great films, all of them, but I'm going with The Incredible Shrinking Man - how can you go wrong with existentialism and a giant kitty?
Old 06-09-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 06-09-13, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yahoo Sirius

I have that exact tape in my hand right now...great movie.
Old 06-09-13, 07:50 PM
En vacance

The Fiend w/out a Face monster looks just the most evil thing ever. Anything with antennae.