Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: ILM or Weta
ILM
60.00%
Weta
40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

ILM vs Weta

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: ILM vs Weta

Without a doubt, WETA.

Look at the new Star Wars movies, look at Lord of the Rings.
Old 07-10-09, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SW films and LoTR films are one thing..but overrall? ILM still has it topped.
Old 07-10-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

My vote goes to ILM.

WETA's work, imo, doesn't hold up over time as well as I think ILM's work has. I'm still impressed by the Jurassic Park dinosaurs even when held up against today's work.
Old 07-10-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that WETA is currently churning out some of the most consistently impressive work, but ILM had a great run with lots of solid output. Jurrasic Park alone is a milestone achievement.
Old 07-10-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Without a doubt, WETA.

Look at the new Star Wars movies, look at Lord of the Rings.
Both of which whose last film was about 5+ years ago.
Old 07-10-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No love for Digital Domain.

Voted for ILM, as I think their A-team is still the best in the industry. However, WETA is running a close second. Not sure if they get a corresponding amount of work (and, hence, have to spread their talent as thin).
Old 07-10-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
In all fairness, some of the early successes that ILM is getting praised for, such as T2 and Jurassic Park, have less CGI in them than meets the eye. When those two films came out, the hype was for the CGI but most of the special effects is model work and live-action animatronics. The liquid metal Terminator special effects were mostly live-action models and the CGI merely morphed between the extremes. The shot where he pours into the Helicopter was about 3 or 4 different models and the cgi just blended the dissolves between them. Same with the scenes where he gets heavy shotgun fire and has holes blasted into him or has his head blasted nearly off. Jurassic Park mostly had animatronic dinos except for quick shots of them running (usually in the dark lit scenes). The few CGI shots in broad daylight look as phony as any early CGI ever done (such as the Bronto/Apats). Counting up screen time, both of those films had barely a couple minutes of actual CGI compared to today's films where the special effects are almost entirely CGI.

Another point to make is rarely does one effects house do all the work in a film. They farm out a lot to outside companies so they can meet release dates. So anytime you ever watch a film and notice some really good CGI and some really mediocre or even bad CGI, then chances are you are seeing outside vendor's work interspersed with the actual company's work. They put their name on the work, so they deserve the praise or blame, but as a practical matter unless the hired work is atrocious, they really don't have the time or budgets to bring absolutely every shot up to the company standards so it's kind of unfair to damn a company's work because 100% of the CGI wasn't up to snuff.
ok................... So which do you prefer?
Old 07-10-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love taking a romantic sunset cruise with my ILM scrapbook. It's so illuminating. Sometimes, when nobody is around, I start to rub my finger up and down the smooth cover, taking in every little bump and crevice on my fingertips, purring in contentment at the thought of the numerous clippings from Starlog magazine that lie in store for me. Then I take it home and slip it firmly onto the coffee table, sometimes I turn the lights off, strip off my shirt and trousers, and
Old 07-10-09, 06:38 PM

I really can't tell the difference between the two. The Star Wars prequel's CG was not convincing but Star Trek was some of the best I've seen yet. Maybe there's been some recent leaps in technology I'm unaware of?
Old 07-10-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaff
I really can't tell the difference between the two. The Star Wars prequel's CG was not convincing but Star Trek was some of the best I've seen yet. Maybe there's been some recent leaps in technology I'm unaware of?
Old 07-10-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted ILM. I love their work on A.I. and Minority, and the Pirates effects are pretty amazing too.
Old 07-11-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ILM. When their A-team is at work (i.e. Spielberg films), they can't be beat. However, their output over the past few years has not been consistent as more films are utilizing their B and C squads mostly due to money and scheduling.

I wouldn't credit Starship Troopers to ILM as it was one of the first films that was branched to a lot of special effects companies. Tippett and Sony Imageworks did more work on the final product than ILM; but the creature visual effects are still hard to beat even if the film is close to being fifteen years old.
Old 07-11-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't care who's better right now.

As long as they continue to outdo each other, we'll have better and better looking effects.
Old 07-12-09, 08:10 AM

I think it's too hard to really pick one. LOTR sported seamless integration, but some figures didn't look fully formed, and King Kong was the best CG character yet made. But they have a much lighter workload than ILM, which is still the chief animator. When ILM really has the time to work on effects (the Pirates films for example, which look so marvelous I find myself willing to sit through those awful sequels more than once) they can at least rival the very best of Weta if not surpass it. But I agree about the prequels. You'd think having years to do each one would have resulted in a more fluid look.
Old 07-12-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Sweet
Old 07-12-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I wasn't about to go through and look at the resume of both companies to decide how to vote. I didn't need to do that. The OP informed me that Weta was responsible for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and, by default, ILM wins my vote. That's right, Galactus alone dictated this one for me.
Old 07-12-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Davey Jones set the bar.

I voted for WETA though based on some their breathtaking work on the LOTR films and the realization of King Kong himself. Yes some of their stuff is iffy, the same with ILM.

ILM's work on Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' was also stellar. Especially considering the time constraints.
Old 07-13-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
ILM's work on Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' was also stellar. Especially considering the time constraints.
Spielberg will always be given ILM's A-team. A.I. and Minority Report were done with huge time constraints, but War of the Worlds is one of those few films that goes from pre-production to release within less than a year.
Old 07-13-09, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I can't separate ILM and Spielberg. They have a very good working relationship from the beginning.
Old 07-13-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I wasn't about to go through and look at the resume of both companies to decide how to vote. I didn't need to do that. The OP informed me that Weta was responsible for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and, by default, ILM wins my vote. That's right, Galactus alone dictated this one for me.
I thought the cloud effects looked pretty good!
Old 07-13-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

WETA hasn't shown me the diversity in effects work that ILM has.
Old 07-13-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

WETA only worked primarily on the Silver Surfer in that movie. I think they may have done some of the "cloud," but the rest of the digital effects was done by another outfit.

Blaming WETA for the terrible Super Skrull/Doctor Doom fight is like blaming ILM for Twilight's 70s era Spider-Man effects; the only did the diamond skin in that movie.
Old 07-13-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

^ And the Silver Surfer himself looked great. Who did the Galactus cloud? That was actually well done.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-13-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My pick is ILM, but even if it wasn't, I'd vote for it anyway. So much film work is leaving the country for cheaper labor overseas.. any chance I get to support my colleagues here who are the best in the business, I take.
Old 07-27-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Weta did a incredible job. The Gullom character was amazing and all of the creatures were just amazing. My vote still goes to ILM, but it could change quickly depending upon how Avatar looks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.