DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/557190-oscars-doubling-best-picture-nominees-10-a.html)

Gizmo 06-24-09 05:27 PM

Re: Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10

Since Twilight destroyed the MTV Movie Awards I expect it to be in the top 10.

jmu878 06-24-09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9523945)
It's an easy explanation, more money for the machine that is Hollywood. Why not give more promotion (and the label "Best Picture nominee") to more films? It will definitely boost ticket and dvd sales, no question.

Revolutionary Road (hopefully...I thought this was in the top 3)
The Wrestler
...and In Bruges probably still would have gotten the shaft.

I'm not sure how it "not being Danny Boyle's best" is at all relevant to comparing Slumdog and TDK, or whether or not Slumdog deserved to win. Slumdog was up against the films made in 2008, not Danny Boyle's filmography. Using this logic, you can say that Sean Penn didn't deserve to win Best Actor for Milk because he was better in Dead Man Walking. And Martin Scorsese should be banned altogether from the Academy Awards because he'll never make anything that tops Goodfellas.

What do you mean? The Oscars are notorious for snubbing films that deserve to win and giving make up statues later. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Batman 3 walks away with a best pic statue if its anything comparable to TDK.

For the record also, Scorsese should probably have at least four statues right now (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Departed.) Ordinary People & Dances with Wolves...seriously? At least Rocky is respectable but Bull still wipes the floor with it.

I'm just real curious to what nine other movies are gonna fill out the slot. I guess UP is a shoe in, but what the hell else is coming out that can get a nom? Public Enemies? Inglourious Basterds? Maybe Scorsese can grab a second statue from Shutter Island. Who knows.

Red Dog 06-24-09 05:38 PM

How incredibly stupid.

wirefan 06-24-09 05:44 PM

In addition to the obvious money/advertising implications it is also a resume/backslapping maneuver.

Just think:
I produced Best Picture nominees in 5 consecutive years, or starred in them, or was a gopher on the set. It's just more self-congratulatory crap, which I can only hope will backfire and diminish the "prestige" (?) of being a best picture nomination. Just think about 5 years from now: "Transformers 2... that was an Oscar best film nominee in 2010... really? Oh that was when they were nominating everything."

Still, it's a rather curious move because it is unclear how much "best picture nominee" actually generates in terms of ticket or DVD sales. It may also make the late in the year Oscar machine backfire as you will either have movies earlier in the year taking away from the process or just have twice as much politicking compressed into the same time period making the end of the year pump and dump that much harder.

wm lopez 06-24-09 05:47 PM

I think they are doing this because when movie goers see advertizing that it's nominated for an Oscar they will go see it.

Supermallet 06-24-09 05:49 PM

Just because they're now offering 10 slots doesn't mean Transformers 2 will be on it.

mcnabb 06-24-09 05:55 PM

Havent watched the Oscars for about 10 years, as the quality of movies has really dropped this decade. I think once Shakespeare in Love won for the 1998 Best Picture, I realized I was wasting my time watching this show.

Mr. Cinema 06-24-09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 9524090)
Havent watched the Oscars for about 10 years, as the quality of movies has really dropped this decade. I think once Shakespeare in Love won for the 1998 Best Picture, I realized I was wasting my time watching this show.

1998 is almost the same time for me. I still held out hope until 2000 when Traffic won Director, Editing, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor. Then it vanished when that somehow didn't equal a Picture win.

Daytripper 06-24-09 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9523932)
Well I wont be watching if a disney/pixar film gets nominated. Thats all i know. That will fucking disgust me.

Here we fucking go again.

SethDLH 06-24-09 06:32 PM

I don't understand why they just don't nominate films they feel worthy of winning the award each year, no matter how many or few there may be. A set number will always make it so that deserving films get snubbed or underserving films get nominations.

GoldenJCJ 06-24-09 06:37 PM

Can't say I really understand the decision...However, if they open the category to foreign films...

JumpCutz 06-24-09 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9524075)
Just because they're now offering 10 slots doesn't mean Transformers 2 will be on it.

That goes without saying.

Daytripper 06-24-09 07:05 PM

I don't see the big deal here. First, they did this back in the beginning as mentioned. And yes, probably more and better quality films were released. Plus, critics do a Top 10 best of list at the end of each year.

stingermck 06-24-09 07:20 PM

Explaining the shift, Academy Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis says, "After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year.

"The final outcome, of course, will be the same - one Best Picture winner - but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009."

An average of 10 films competed annually for the top prize for the first 16 years of the Oscars and the last classic to win gold after beating out nine other movies was Casablanca in 1943.

Ganis adds, "Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going allow Academy voters to recognise and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize."

wirefan 06-24-09 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9524239)
I don't see the big deal here. First, they did this back in the beginning as mentioned. And yes, probably more and better quality films were released. Plus, critics do a Top 10 best of list at the end of each year.

They also didn't have as many awards category 'back in the beginning' either. Somehow, this getting back to its roots spin rings a bit hollow and I'm a bit stunned that they think anyone will buy it.

And if you look at some of the crap that makes critics Top 10 lists, I'm not sure that's the example they want to follow.

Daytripper 06-24-09 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan (Post 9524297)
They also didn't have as many awards category 'back in the beginning' either. Somehow, this getting back to its roots spin rings a bit hollow and I'm a bit stunned that they think anyone will buy it.

And if you look at some of the crap that makes critics Top 10 lists, I'm not sure that's the example they want to follow.

What do you mean they didn't have as many awards category?

Also, if by "crap" you mean non-commerical films or box-office hits, then that's mostly what the Oscars nominate anyway.

Doctor Gonzo 06-24-09 08:07 PM

the first year, 1927-28, only three films were nominated for best picture. Eight films were nominated in 31-32, ten the next year, TWELVE in 33-34 and 1935, so the academy has always been all over the place.

NitroJMS 06-24-09 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 9524177)
Can't say I really understand the decision...However, if they open the category to foreign films...

They already are eligibile. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon scored a Best Picture nom back in 2001, but it is a rare feat, much like an animated film getting nominated.

DeanoBKN 06-24-09 08:39 PM

After last year's Oscar's telecast I more or less have given up on the Academy. This bonehead decision is just the icing on the cake.

Perhaps they want to make sure every Holocaust or WWII picture gets a Best Picture nominee? ;)

RichC2 06-24-09 08:41 PM

Fine by me as long as Inglourious Basterds is up there :lol:

wirefan 06-24-09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9524328)
What do you mean they didn't have as many awards category?

Of the 24 current awards, 5 didn't exist pre-1947, 8 didn't exist pre-1940... there were a few awards in the 30's that had a few years of run but overall there were fewer award types in the days they are trying to "get back to"

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9524328)
Also, if by "crap" you mean non-commerical films or box-office hits, then that's mostly what the Oscars nominate anyway.

What I was trying to say is that just because critics decide to have top 10 lists, doesn't mean the Oscars should.... most critics also do not separate out awards for foreign films, documentaries or animated films like the Oscars. And there is a bunch of crap that shows up on these lists... the Oscar nominees already have some questionable choices - adding 5 so they potentially avoid slighting one or two films in a given year is ridiculous. So a movie gets left off the nominee list in an odd year...because of that risk they need to double the nominee list EVERY year? How do folks see this as anything but a commercially driven decision

Bottom line you don't need a 10 movie list to get the best picture... if a movie is 7th or 8th on the nominee list, then it probably is not really the best picture to begin with.

Solid Snake 06-24-09 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9524423)
Fine by me as long as Inglourious Basterds is up there :lol:

I was about to the say the same thing. I hope Tarantino gets some love from the Academy if Basterds is as good as I hope it is. I mean...it's a WWII film using 8 Jew soldiers out to kick Nazi ass. It's like Munich + Saving Private Ryan...in Tarantino style.

Drexl 06-24-09 09:56 PM

I was bored, so I checked this out. If I'm not mistaken, only 3 films have won Best Picture without getting a Best Director nomination. The last was Driving Miss Daisy in 1989, and you have to go back to 1932 for the previous one, Grand Hotel. Wings was the other, and they had separate categories for dramatic and comedy directing that first year.

So, at least half of the 10 nominees will be considered very long shots right off the bat. It will be interesting to see if a movie can crack this in the coming years, if they stick with it.

mcnabb 06-24-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9524143)
1998 is almost the same time for me. I still held out hope until 2000 when Traffic won Director, Editing, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor. Then it vanished when that somehow didn't equal a Picture win.

Yeah, the last ten years have been pretty pathetic for Best Oscar Winners:

2000- Gladiator - good, fun movie, but Best Picture?
2001- A Beautiful Mind - good movie, but a payback to Ron Howard for Apollo 13.
2002- Chicago - don't need to explain this one.
2003- Return of the King - winner because of the achievement of trilogy for the past 3 years.
2004- Million Dollar Baby - I liked it, but WAY overrated.
2005- Crash? I think this beat Brokeback Mountain?
2006- The Departed - Another good movie, but more a lifetime achievment award for Marty as he should have won for Goodfellas and Raging Bull.
2007- No Country for Old Men - Solid movie
2008- Slumdog Millionaire - Honestly haven't seen it yet.

Wow, what a terrible decade. Making 10 best movie selections wont make a difference with the crap out today.

Solid Snake 06-24-09 10:06 PM

No Country For Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire