Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10

Originally Posted by pinata242
I can't wait until the year (this?) that they can't justifiably fill 10 slots without opening themselves up to ridicule.
This is what I'm thinking. The newest "_____ Movie" will end up being nominated just to fill a spot.

Originally Posted by John Slider
I don't get what's funny.
Old 06-24-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Hmm I wonder besides TDK what wouldve made up the list of 10 this year.
Doubt most certainly would have...and should have anyways.

The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road would likely be 2 more choices in addition to Wall-E. Even though it had awful acting from the supporting cast, I think Gran Torino could have been in there as well. It was released so late in the game that it had no buzz going into the nominations, even though it cleaned up at the box office.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-24-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
This is what I'm thinking. The newest "_____ Movie" will end up being nominated just to fill a spot.

I don't get what's funny.
He didn't think it was great, so be it. There are a lot that disagree and there are a lot of people that agree. I thought Wall-E was a poor movie but the oscar hype for that flick was deafening.

This really is a pointless change, add one or two don't double the damn thing.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Doubt most certainly would have...and should have anyways.

The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road would likely be 2 more choices in addition to Wall-E.

That's 4.
In the interest of ratings, it probably would have been The Wrestler, Rev Road, Doubt, The Dark Knight and Wall-E.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-09 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Stupid. Why not just nominate EVERY movie for Best Picture... same logic.
Old 06-24-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha yeah it can be like those movies that put the Cannes logo because they were "in competition."
Old 06-24-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
He didn't think it was great, so be it.
I figured that. I just didn't know that bashing The Dark Knight was still the cool thing to do.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't say I like it, but as long as they're keeping the Best Director nominations to 5, you can bet that at least 4 of those films would have been nominated for BP if it had 5 noms. And, the winner will at least be nominated in that category (if not win it).

I think the reasoning behind this is to try to get more people to watch the telecast. It probably won't change how they vote, but if more people tune in thinking a summer blockbuster or animated movie has a shot, it's a win for them.
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Dark Knight IS a great film. It was robbed a nomination, and it could have even deservedly won Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire was a good film, to be sure, but was it even Danny Boyle's best -- let alone better than the Dark Knight? No, it wasn't. And yet it won almost everything this last year. I think Christopher Nolan is one of the best film-makers currently working and his achievement should have been recognized.
Old 06-24-09, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa. I love TDK. I'll argue it needed a best pic nomination. But..better than Slumdog? No. Slumdog was ,to what an American audience would see, a exotic take of the standard guy gets girl story in a foreign world that we don't know. I saw Slumdog and I was like...fuck...TDK got topped by this. It was fresh, vibrant, and exotic for my eyes to see a take on a multiply told many times over tale.
Old 06-24-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
The Dark Knight IS a great film. It was robbed a nomination, and it could have even deservedly won Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire was a good film, to be sure, but was it even Danny Boyle's best -- let alone better than the Dark Knight? No, it wasn't. And yet it won almost everything this last year. I think Christopher Nolan is one of the best film-makers currently working and his achievement should have been recognized.
This is one question we'll never get answered. What did Stephen Daldry and Ron Howard do directing wise that was more difficult than anything Chris Nolan did?
Old 06-24-09, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slumdog was intensely overrated, and as someone said, not even Danny Boyle's best film. If it weren't for Sunshine, I'd say it was his worst film. It wasn't even as good as Frost/Nixon, let alone The Dark Knight or The Wrestler.
Old 06-24-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I like it. I don't care if 5 more movies have a "Nominated for Best Picture" stamp on it, the DVD cover art will still suck. The voting pool is going to be more spread out, anything has a legitimate shot at winning. A lot of people only go see small movies if they are nominated for Best Pic, this would bring more business to movies like Before the Devil Knows You're Dead which got snubbed.
Old 06-24-09, 03:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

is this the NHL playoffs?
Old 06-24-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Stupid. Why not just nominate EVERY movie for Best Picture... same logic.
Exactly. The same people that vote for the nominees vote for the winners.

10 movies is garbage. They should have an asterisk next to it, when 20 years from now people are like "Star Trek remake was nominated for Best Picture?"

This is the worst idea since giving the Oscar to Slumdog Millionaire.
Old 06-24-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just another ploy by oscar to boost sagging ratings - and a too-late fix for a Dark Knight snub.

I see more comedy, a sci-fi flick or maybe a super hero movie or action/adventure getting a bone tossed to it - "welcome to the party!" - and still not having a chance to actually win over more snob fare like slumdog.

They are smart, however - knowing you are more likely to tune in if your favorite movie makes the cut.
Old 06-24-09, 04:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by geicos27
I'm guessing this is due to the outrage of The Dark Knight being screwed last year.
What outrage? Outside of the Internet fanboys, there was none.
Old 06-24-09, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well I wont be watching if a disney/pixar film gets nominated. Thats all i know. That will fucking disgust me.
Old 06-24-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this.
It's an easy explanation, more money for the machine that is Hollywood. Why not give more promotion (and the label "Best Picture nominee") to more films? It will definitely boost ticket and dvd sales, no question.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Hmm I wonder besides TDK what wouldve made up the list of 10 this year.
Revolutionary Road (hopefully...I thought this was in the top 3)
The Wrestler
...and In Bruges probably still would have gotten the shaft.

Originally Posted by GenPion
The Dark Knight IS a great film. It was robbed a nomination, and it could have even deservedly won Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire was a good film, to be sure, but was it even Danny Boyle's best -- let alone better than the Dark Knight?
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Slumdog was intensely overrated, and as someone said, not even Danny Boyle's best film. If it weren't for Sunshine, I'd say it was his worst film. It wasn't even as good as Frost/Nixon, let alone The Dark Knight or The Wrestler.
I'm not sure how it "not being Danny Boyle's best" is at all relevant to comparing Slumdog and TDK, or whether or not Slumdog deserved to win. Slumdog was up against the films made in 2008, not Danny Boyle's filmography. Using this logic, you can say that Sean Penn didn't deserve to win Best Actor for Milk because he was better in Dead Man Walking. And Martin Scorsese should be banned altogether from the Academy Awards because he'll never make anything that tops Goodfellas.

Last edited by dino88; 06-24-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't think they make films good enough for the slot? I mean, personally....I'd always keep it in the animated section...but they've pretty good at their skills.
Old 06-24-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
TELL me about it. THE DARK KNIGHT got some of the worst reviews ever for a mainstream motion picture.
Old 06-24-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Well I wont be watching if a disney/pixar film gets nominated. Thats all i know. That will fucking disgust me.
Sheesh it's been 17 years, give it a rest.
Old 06-24-09, 05:10 PM
Cool New Member

Great, so now instead of nominating 5 films no one has ever seen they double it.
Old 06-24-09, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm not sure how it "not being Danny Boyle's best" is at all relevant to comparing Slumdog and TDK, or whether or not Slumdog deserved to win. Slumdog was up against the films made in 2008, not Danny Boyle's filmography. Using this logic, you can say that Sean Penn didn't deserve to win Best Actor for Milk because he was better in Dead Man Walking. And Martin Scorsese should be banned altogether from the Academy Awards because he'll never make anything that tops Goodfellas.
You're right, Slumdog was up against the other pics of 2008 (and even then it's still baffling that it was nominated, let alone won), but as icing on the cake, it's one of Boyle's worst movies.
Old 06-24-09, 05:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just because you and your teeny-bopper pals didn't catch at the megaplex doesn't mean that "nobody" saw it.
Old 06-24-09, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
This is crap, pure and simple. Just another reason to studios to slap the "Nominated for Best Picture" tag on more mainstream films.
Bingo! We will get the wondering re-releases on DVD/Blu over and over again now. Sigh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.