Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Did he have two wrecking balls?
Maybe but I don't remember. The shot is brief and chaotic. It happens when Sam and Mikaela jump from one rooftop to another. It's in one of the trailers.

The more I think about it, they already had a construction site filled with robots. Why wouldn't they just have those robots merge for Devastator? Why have a bunch of other random construction robots driving around as well? It makes things unnecessarily complicated.
I think we've all thought more about this movie than anyone involved. All they had to do was amp up what worked in the first movie and downplay what didn't. This sequel did the opposite.

Sure we got more robots but at the expense of those that were established in the first which were then sidelined for far less interesting robots.

They got rid of the hacker/analysts and their storyline that never arced but we were then given a roommate with no story to speak of. Anthony Anderson and Rachel Taylor may have added nothing to the plot of the first movie but at least they shared a few funny scenes. I just kept wishing for the roommate to get randomly killed by a Decepticon.

The stuff at Sam's house in the first had some genuinely funny moments but it ground the movie to a complete halt. Instead the sequel bloats the amount of humour but none of it is funny.

Optimus Prime went from being noble and awesome to just plain senile.

God this movie is dumb on so many levels.
So true. And the best example of this is Goverment Douchebag. We're supposed to hate him because he is a douchebag but it doesn't help matters that he's the only sensibe character in the movie. He assumes that since the Cube was destroyed two years ago and that was the only reason the Decepticons came to Earth, it stands to reason they have no other reason to stay other than get back at the Autobots.

True, it turns out they were after their Sun Blowerupanator but no one had come across any evidence in the last two years to even suggest that. It's also funny that Optimus Prime brings up a recording mentioning the Fallen and presents it like a huge threat but then admits to having no clue what the Decepticon was even talking about. That's a great way to sway people.
Old 07-09-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Did he have two wrecking balls?

The more I think about it, they already had a construction site filled with robots. Why wouldn't they just have those robots merge for Devastator? Why have a bunch of other random construction robots driving around as well? It makes things unnecessarily complicated.
This was part of the editing fuck up that has been pointed out. Devistator had already merged but there were still some of the same Constructicons in that small village. This probalby why it seemd like a lot of them.

God this movie is dumb on so many levels.
Yeah, but you TF2 haters keep this thread going and going and going don'cha know.

All you guys have been doing is rehashing the stuff you hate, piping up when a new hater joins in, then agreeing on how much you hated it. Misery loves company I guess.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-09-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just really stings right now, Robo. In a few weeks time you'll see all the hate die down and we'll all be concerned with something else. TF:ROTF will just be a bad memory. But for now, we need to vent our rage.
Old 07-09-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wikipedia explains the multiple Constructicons:

The second Transformers film, Revenge of the Fallen has been confirmed to feature the Constructicons and their combined form. The name "Devastator" was previously used in the first film incorrectly for the Decepticon Brawl, and Bonecrusher was also featured; both characters were killed and have been confirmed to not be returning for the sequel (although Bonecrusher makes a cameo). Unlike previous incarnations of the team, the Constructicon team features a vast amount of members like the Seacons in Masterforce. As a result, Devastator is composed of any seven Constructicon models that are present among the group, rather than having only one set in-fiction composition. [1]

The Constructicons featured in Revenge of the Fallen are:

* Scavenger,[2] the red Terex O&K RH 400 hydraulic mining excavator of the same model as Demolishor.[3] He forms Devastator's torso.[4]
* Long Haul,[5] a green Caterpillar 773B dump truck, which forms the right leg.[4] Long Haul's individual robot mode was designed by freelance artist Josh Nizzi as fan art of the original character Long Haul. The fan art impressed Bay enough to hire him on to the film.[6].
* Rampage,[5] a yellow Caterpillar D9 bulldozer who forms the left leg.[4]
* Scrapper,[2] a yellow Caterpillar 992G scoop loader who forms the right arm.[4].
* Hightower,[5] transforms into a yellow Kobelco CK2500 crawler crane and forms the left arm.[4].
* Mixmaster,[5] who transforms into a black and silver Mack concrete mixer. He forms the head.[4].
* Overload,a red Komatsu HD465-7 articulated dump truck that forms the torso with Scavenger.

The Constructions are destroyed as Devastator in the battle, however, other versions of Long Haul, Scrapper, Mixmaster and Rampage are seen separate from Devestator, presumably to serve as the Decepticon military forces. They are killed by the military, Bumblebee and Jetfire.
Old 07-10-09, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
This was part of the editing fuck up that has been pointed out. Devistator had already merged but there were still some of the same Constructicons in that small village. This probalby why it seemd like a lot of them.

Yeah, but you TF2 haters keep this thread going and going and going don'cha know.

All you guys have been doing is rehashing the stuff you hate, piping up when a new hater joins in, then agreeing on how much you hated it. Misery loves company I guess.

This movie kicked me in the balls for 2 1/2 hours. Now its my turn!
Old 07-10-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh lord...at a local Walmart these two employees had this little animatronic robot type thing. One employee was standing next to it, and another one was hiding somewhere controlling the robot, making it move and doing the voice. They were 100% totally doing a rip off of the "Twins" from T2, complete with what they were saying and how they were talking. This one little 4 year old kid walked by and the "robot" goes "hey kid, hey, yeah you...say hellooooooooo to yo sistah for me!!!"

UGH!!!
Old 07-10-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RD1973

We need a hater commentary on the BD and that should be the opening line.
Old 07-10-09, 01:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're going to kick yourself in the balls for 2 1/2 hours, can you at least tape it so we can laugh at you?
Old 07-10-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eventhough I loved both Transformers movies, I'm most disappointed with the look of the Transformers and their toys. Transformer toys have become mishmoshformers. The majority of the new Transformers toys have vehicle modes that just look like mishmosh (Megatron, Soundwave, Ravage, etc.). Here's the biggest new Transformer toy insult: Not only is the Devastator toy around $100 bucks, but the Transformers that form the whole big baddie don't even individually transform into robots. This is just Hasbro being lazy, greedy, and sacrilegious.

Nothing beats old Devastator - it looked good as a whole AND all the individual transformers transformed:
Old 07-10-09, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp

We need a hater commentary on the BD and that should be the opening line.
I'm not usually like this. Whether a movie is good or bad, I usually give my thoughts on it and move on.

But this movie was aggresively, relentlessly, uncompromisingly, insultingly, in-your-face horrible and it just wouldn't end. And I want everyone to know it!

It was a travesty and I hold Michael Bay personally responsible for the whole fucking mess (the douche actually tried to blame the racist twins on the writers and the voice actors!). To a lesser degree, I also blame Spielberg for not keeping Bay on a tighter leash. He allowed that douche to fill the movie with whatever inane bullshit occured to him.
Old 07-10-09, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Eventhough I loved both Transformers movies, I'm most disappointed with the look of the Transformers and their toys. Transformer toys have become mishmoshformers. The majority of the new Transformers toys have vehicle modes that just look like mishmosh (Megatron, Soundwave, Ravage, etc.). Here's the biggest new Transformer toy insult: Not only is the Devastator toy around $100 bucks, but the Transformers that form the whole big baddie don't even individually transform into robots. This is just Hasbro being lazy, greedy, and sacrilegious.

Nothing beats old Devastator - it looked good as a whole AND all the individual transformers transformed:

Don't even get me started on the look of the Transformers in TF2.
Old 07-10-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not usually like this. Whether a movie is good or bad, I usually give my thoughts on it and move on.

But this movie was aggresively, relentlessly, uncompromisingly, insultingly, in-your-face horrible and it just wouldn't end. And I want everyone to know it!

It was a travesty and I hold Michael Bay personally responsible for the whole fucking mess (the douche actually tried to blame the racist twins on the writers and the voice actors!). To a lesser degree, I also blame Spielberg for not keeping Bay on a tighter leash. He allowed that douche to fill the movie with whatever inane bullshit occured to him.
Don't worry. I'm in the same boat. I'm usually the guy who either tells everyone that it's not worth complaining about or vents for a bit and lets it go himself. This one is so bad that it lingers with me.

And if Bay had a problem with what the writers and voice actors came up with, he could have cut it out of the damn movie or gotten different writers/actors to fix it.

As for Spielberg, I think he was so trusting of Bay since Bay was absolutely right when he fought Spielberg over the "Black Wasp" scene in The Island (Spielberg was against it from the start and it ended up being the best action sequence in the movie) and how well the first Transformers turned out despite its faults. He let go of the leash altogether rather then just giving him a little slack.

What? No wrecking balls?

So basically it's a robot replica? It looks like a good representation of it's movie counterpart. But it does suck the individual parts don't become robots. It explains why the individual Constructicon toys make no mention of collecting them all to merge into Devastator.

Did you ever see a CGI render some guy did with that classic design? I usually believe the old designs don't translate 100% to live action but this one did and it was badass.

Here it is:
Spoiler:
Old 07-10-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you ever see a CGI render some guy did with that classic design? I usually believe the old designs don't translate 100% to live action but this one did and it was badass.

Here it is:
Spoiler:
WHY!!!!!??? Why couldn't Michael Bay just stick to something like that!

If Bay ever uses Unicron as a villain in Transformers 3, you know Unicron is going to look like this:

a jaggedy asteroid, basically.

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-10-09 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm guessing because it doesn't look like what would result if metal vomit mated with a Big Daddy.
Old 07-11-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I had never sold him and all my others.
Old 07-11-09, 09:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To this day...I wish I owned Devastator....*tear*
Old 07-11-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here. I had cousins who had him so I got to play with him plenty and all. But it wasn't the same.
Old 07-11-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

That CGI render of Devastator is awesome. And 7 million times better than what he looked like in the movie.
Old 07-11-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
To this day...I wish I owned Devastator....*tear*
Same here. I had cousins who had him so I got to play with him plenty and all. But it wasn't the same.
As someone who was already in their 20's when the transformers came out I have no basis for comparison on what the robots should look like. I'd never seen or heard of any of the characters. I will say the first movie was good as an introduction and back-story for someone like me. I didn't care what they looked like, just show me some action and some more Megan Fox's glistening cleavage.
Old 07-11-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
As someone who was already in their 20's when the transformers came out I have no basis for comparison on what the robots should look like. I'd never seen or heard of any of the characters. I will say the first movie was good as an introduction and back-story for someone like me. I didn't care what they looked like, just show me some action and some more Megan Fox's glistening cleavage.
I don't think the robots need to look exactly like their 80's counterparts. I'm all for reinterpretation. But a lot of the new designs look like a talking scrap heap.

To me Meagan Fox is a bonus rather than an actual selling point. (Unless it's a 2 hour DVD of her walking around in a bikini and/or naked. )
Old 07-11-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Bay ever uses Unicron as a villain in Transformers 3, you know Unicron is going to look like this:

a jaggedy asteroid, basically.
I think that looks would look like crap in a movie. Yeah it looks like the cartoon, but it looks pretty lame in a movie. It doesnt look like it would be able to transform. I dont see how it would work, if they had to transform.
Old 07-11-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maingon, you can clearly see all the vehicle pieces that compose him. What's hard to believe that that classic Devastator was transformed from a bunch of construction equipement?
Old 07-11-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw the movie today. I liked it. Most of the jokes/humor worked for me, even Devastator's balls and Capt'n Jetfire. The only things I found annoying were the "twins" and Sam's mom stoned on campus.

Who played the Decepticon chick that tried to "seduce" Sam?
Old 07-11-09, 09:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

also saw this this morning (sorry DVD Josh) and I wasn't in the least bit impressed - ugh, for a loud aggressive movie, I fell asleep 3/4's of the way through - talk about a film in need of a competent director AND editor - ugh....Bay's integration of the IMAX shot footage was so inept, the beginning fight should have been shot that way not the woods scene, which was fun, but to wait that long for the IMAX footage was too far into the film for maximum impact.
Old 07-11-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Finally saw the movie today. I liked it. Most of the jokes/humor worked for me, even Devastator's balls and Capt'n Jetfire. The only things I found annoying were the "twins" and Sam's mom stoned on campus.

Who played the Decepticon chick that tried to "seduce" Sam?
Aussie beauty Isabel Lucas, who is much hotter than Megan Fox just based on the fact she has two normal thumbs

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.