Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by redskull
Also, Megan Fox is the world's best first aid practitioner. After the group teleports into the desert, Sam's hand is burned or otherwise injured. Not only does Mikaela just happen to be carrying a roll of gauze, she wraps up Sam's hand so professionally that it even looks like he's got several splints on his fingers under the cloth. Amazing!

Hey, I'd let her give me a handjob too. She obviosuly comes prepared.
Old 06-28-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Yes Mrs. Bay we already know you like your son's movies.
hahaha

fine, now I will plug Steve Jablonsky, the movie's composer

listening to the soundtrack now. Sounds good so far. The first movie soundtrack is one of my favorites. Zimmer and his proteges are the best.
Old 06-28-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I did not enjoy the first film in the theater at all but I warmed a bit to it on disc. I actually liked this one more in the theater. Sure I could do without Skids and Mudflap, Decepticon balls and that junk, but I liked more of what was happening between the Autobots and Decepticons in this one. Plus there were many nice throwbacks to the original series that I enjoyed. I gave it 3/5 because of the aforementioned stuff, plus it was still way too long, and Turturro's character is totally superfluous IMO.
Old 06-28-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm re-evaluating my decision to skip this in the theater. My problems with the first one stemmed from what I expected it to be. I know what to expect now-- a bunch of annoying caricatures of people-- and I'm zen with that.

Still, I'm interested primarily because of Devastator, so my question is: How much of a part does he have, beyond the moment in the trailer when he's sucking sand into his mouth? I'm hoping he has a lot of screen time because an all-out battle with him would probably be worth the ticket price.

--THX
Old 06-28-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

So just got back and my thoughts

-Went in expecting the same stuff i saw from the first and got what i expected. The first was an average movie and so was this one, an action movie that will be mostly forgotten in the future.
-It defiantly was a little to much as far as the sexual humor and language. The first was borderline, but if i had kids i don't think i would of wanted them to see it. Also, the movie and the cartoon were based off of toys, so yes this is aimed at children, please don't kid yourself.
-Skids and Mudflaps i think went further than Jar Jar Binks
-Once again, another action movie suffers from the "Lord of the Rings" syndrome. Someone needs to teach these guys how to edit a movie. Was easily 30 minutes to long.
Old 06-28-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Still, I'm interested primarily because of Devastator, so my question is: How much of a part does he have, beyond the moment in the trailer when he's sucking sand into his mouth? I'm hoping he has a lot of screen time because an all-out battle with him would probably be worth the ticket price.

--THX
Tack maybe 5-7 minutes of total screen time beyond what you've seen in the trailer. He goes down pretty quick.

I have to point out a terrible editing moment in the movie. I'm an editor myself, and it just jumped out at me.

There was a shot of the group in Bumblebee driving through the desert. Then a shot of them in town, and Leo (the roommate) has a scarf on his head. Then it cuts to them back in the car driving, and it's the exact same shot as earlier. Leo...no scarf. Then it immediately cuts to a shot of the group outside of the car where Leo had his scarf again. It just jumped out at me, and there was no reason to do it. In fact, the two scenes that obviously belonged together made logical sense, so they basically picked up the conversation where it left off despite an entirely different scene in between.

That's just sloppy crap that shouldn't happen in any decent movie, let along one with a budget like this.

Last edited by Draven; 06-28-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I saw it tonight with a full house and I liked it. I was expecting it to be a total shitfest and it wasn't. So once again I've been misled by DVDTALK reviews. Anyway, the time flew by for me and and I had fun. And oh my dear gawd, if you guys can't follow the robot fighting I don't know what to say. What more did you guys want to see?

I had to laugh the "the twins" because the think the "racist stereotype" is probably bothering Non-Blacks(Whites specifically) more than Blacks. I made a point of watching the Blacks near me because I knew about the characters and I wanted to see how they were going to react; and you know what? They were laughing their asses off. Were they[the twins] over the top and silly characters? Yeah. Could they have dialed them down a notch or two? Yeah. But again, until Jesse Jackson chimes in, I don't think most Blacks will give a shit about how those robots are portrayed. Besides, I've met guys like that so it's not like the kinda of behavior is from Fantasyland.

Pros:

1. New robots
2. Interesting TF/Prime(s)/Fallen history
3. Close up face shots of Megan Fox
4. The way the TF's have integrated into society.

Cons:

1. Not enough Arcee(s)
2. Not enough lines from the new TF's in general.
3. Crude Humor...Only because it's putting fuel on the "Hate this film" fire. It actually didn't bother me at all.
4. Bumblebee's voice still screwed up. Come on guys. He was talking at the end of the last film.
5. Bumblebee living in Sam's garage and apparently not living as his car. Huh?
Pretty much word for word what I would say... I would just add that I think my biggest issue with the movie was lack of autobots. I mean Prime and BB cant be the only one to kick ass.
Old 06-28-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Tack maybe 5-7 minutes of total screen time beyond what you've seen in the trailer. He goes down pretty quick.
That's it? Possibly the most amazing villain in the movie, and he has, at best, seven minutes? Wow....

With all this talk of the movie culminating in a massive, 25-minute battle (or is it longer?), I was thinking he might be an indestructible giant against whom all the Autobots and the military would be fighting.

--THX
Old 06-28-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I saw it in Imax and thought the effects and battles were stunning and would recommend it without hesitation, but the movie was dumber than a sack of hammers. It doesn't bother me that much though, I felt like a ten year old kid again.

Without reading the whole thread, the dumbest thing that struck me is towards the end when Sam is racing insde Bumblee to get to Optimus. Next thing you know, him and the girlfriend are running up a sand dune going "Almost there...2 more miles!" Um...hello? Why did you get out of Bumblebee and proceed on foot through the war zone?!
Old 06-28-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Oh, and the back door out of the Smithsonian leads into an airplane graveyard with mountains in the distance?!
Old 06-28-09, 09:03 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I saw it in Imax and thought the effects and battles were stunning and would recommend it without hesitation, but the movie was dumber than a sack of hammers. It doesn't bother me that much though, I felt like a ten year old kid again.

Without reading the whole thread, the dumbest thing that struck me is towards the end when Sam is racing insde Bumblee to get to Optimus. Next thing you know, him and the girlfriend are running up a sand dune going "Almost there...2 more miles!" Um...hello? Why did you get out of Bumblebee and proceed on foot through the war zone?!

To draw off the Decepticons. There is a bit in the movie where they discuss this and BB is sent off in another direction to lure them away from Sam. And John Turtorro goes off to find a way to contact reinforcements. This was covered in the dialog.

Doesn't help with the other 9000 plot issues.
Old 06-28-09, 09:05 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's it? Possibly the most amazing villain in the movie, and he has, at best, seven minutes? Wow....

With all this talk of the movie culminating in a massive, 25-minute battle (or is it longer?), I was thinking he might be an indestructible giant against whom all the Autobots and the military would be fighting.

--THX

Spoiler:
Devastator was actually taken out by an US Navy RAIL GUN not an Autobot, still wasn't there long though.
Old 06-28-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redskull
Thank you! I can't believe no one else is talking about this. If the Decepticons can disguise themselves as perfect replicas as people, then why bother with turning into vehicles?

The inclusion of the Fembot opened up a huge can of worms, IMO.
Not really IMO. The Pretenders are small and weak physically (relatively speaking) and can be taken down far more easily than a regular-sized Decepticon. They would serve best as infiltration/intelligence agents (as Alice does in the movie) instead of front-line combatants.

I was bothered more by how they totally messed up the geography between Egypt and Jordan, as if the Pyramids of Giza and Petra were next door to each other or something.
Old 06-28-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

--THX
There is a big "battle" at the end of the movie, but it's mostly the army and a few Autobots taking potshots at random unnamed Decepticons as they sloooooowly advance on their position. That's the only reason it takes as long as it does. Because they are moving so slowly.
Old 06-28-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I was bothered more by how they totally messed up the geography between Egypt and Jordan, as if the Pyramids of Giza and Petra were next door to each other or something.
The first one has the same issue with the Hoover Dam seemingly located in a suburban desert near Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Oh, and the back door out of the Smithsonian leads into an airplane graveyard with mountains in the distance?!
They seem to have went to the other Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at Dulles International. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_...ar-Hazy_Center

That one has the Blackbird, but the outside graveyard was probably this 309th_Aerospace_Maintenance_and_Regeneration_Group
Old 06-29-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yep, those trailers shots are finished shots, as far as I can tell.
What a shame. You'd think they would've fixed that. Unless that's just as far as they could get with it before the release date.
Old 06-29-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
There is a big "battle" at the end of the movie, but it's mostly the army and a few Autobots taking potshots at random unnamed Decepticons as they sloooooowly advance on their position. That's the only reason it takes as long as it does. Because they are moving so slowly.
I found that battle scene extremely boring and Devastator was completely wasted.
The opening scene and the forest one were both much better action scenes.
Old 06-29-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back, i didn't expect much and just thought it was bad all over. It didn't bother me that it was dumb, I was expecting that, I just thought it was boring.

I'm sick of everyone's argument being that if you didn't like this it's because you don't like escapism or mindless fun. It's one thing to be mindless it's another to be have no fucking imagination.

For a dumb summer blockbuster it was boring.

I expected the characters to be stupid, I expected the story to be stupid, I even fucking expected ugly ass characters whose face's all look like metal vaginas, but this WAS FUCKING BORING. The fight scenes were boring.

What happened to James Cameron, and Spielberg and those guys who made B-Movie's that had some fucking imagination behind it. This feels like it was made by a poser for posers. Like some insecure teenager who thinks he's a badass because he smokes and curses. Hot Chicks, Check, Hot Cars, Check, Explosions, Check, Tiny Dick, Check.
Old 06-29-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

--THX

Yeah, he wasn't around for long. And this brings up a critique made on the critic show "Reel Talk" that I happen to agree with...it was hard to tell which TF's, good or bad, were killed.

I mean yes, Devistator was nailed, but
Spoiler:
we see him break apart into his individual robots. So where they killed? Personally I don't believe they were killed. Nope, I don't think the Constructicons were actually killed at all.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-29-09 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What a shame. You'd think they would've fixed that. Unless that's just as far as they could get with it before the release date.
What's to fix? He looked really good. I think he fit the style of the movie Transformers. But I guess if one has issues with the general design of the movie Robots, then I can see why Devistator may be disappointing.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-29-09 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Pretty much word for word what I would say... I would just add that I think my biggest issue with the movie was lack of autobots. I mean Prime and BB cant be the only one to kick ass.

Agreed.
I was really hoping to hear more from Arcee(the motorcycles) and the new Corvette Autobot.
Old 06-29-09, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
What's to fix? He looked really good. I think he fit the style of the movie Transformers. But I guess if one has issues with the general design of the movie Robots, then I can see why Devistator may be disappointing.
I had no problem with his design. But the render looked unfinished. The shading and the textures were way off in the trailer. In the trailer, Devastator looks as bad as Bonecrusher briefly looked just before Prime killed him (after the "cool, mom" moment) in the first movie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-29-09 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All your questions answered!

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?
The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?

Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

Why is the U.S. military helping them?
Supposedly to help keep the Transformers a secret from the public. Although since the climax of the last film was a massive firefight involving 50-foot robots and took place over five miles of downtown Los Angeles and the beginning of this film wrecks several miles of Shanghai, China, they seem to be incredibly shitty at their job.
More and funnier FAQs in the linked article!
Old 06-29-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-29-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Thank you for the link. Actually explains a lot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.