DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What "side" movie would you like to see? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/556883-what-side-movie-would-you-like-see.html)

SmackDaddy 06-18-09 08:41 AM

What "side" movie would you like to see?

Ever watched a movie that had some interesting character(s) that has a a few scenes early in a movie, then he/she either goes of to do something or the main character moves on and then they appear later on in the movie.

Ever think...what have they been up to? I always wished they would film their adventures and have them as short features on the dvd/video releases.

Pulp Fiction comes closest to actually doing this within a film (Go also does it). You join all these stories in progress, then the movie goes back and shows you what they were doing before they got there.

So, what characters off screen adventures would you like to have seen?

Giles 06-18-09 09:01 AM

Re: What "side" movie would you like to see?

Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels.

MrSmearkase 06-18-09 09:42 AM

It's funny, because the wife and I were watching Big last night, and I said that Tom Hanks's mother in the story could be the focus of a total other, dramatic movie.

Think about it... She's just vacuuming away, and all of a sudden a strange man enters her house, saying that he's her son, and he's wearing his underwear. After being run out of the house, she gets a call from Hanks weeks later saying her son is okay, but she can't see him yet. Finally, after being gone for months, her son walks back into the house wearing a suit 3 sizes too large.

The woman must've gone crazy over those months, right?

Ash Ketchum 06-18-09 09:54 AM

I just watched GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL the other night (for the umpteenth time) and at one point in the Dodge City section, Bat Masterson (Kenneth Tobey) had to leave town to go chase Indians and he takes all of Wyatt Earp's deputies but one, leaving Wyatt (Burt Lancaster) and Charlie Bassett (Earl Holliman) woefully undermanned when Shanghai Pierce (Ted de Corsia) and his cowboys come roaring into town to cause trouble. Bat never shows up again in the movie.

I would love to have seen Bat Masterson's adventures. In real life, he was a combatant at the Battle of Adobe Walls in Texas in 1874, in which a small number of men held off an attacking force of about 700 Indian warriors (Comanche, Cheyenne, Kiowa) until reinforcements arrived. Here's a link to the story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...of_Adobe_Walls
That battle would have made a great movie. I don't know why no one ever did it. There were a few movies about Bat Masterson (e.g., TRAIL STREET, MASTERSON OF TEXAS, GUNFIGHT AT DODGE CITY) and a popular late '50s TV series, "Bat Masterson," starring Gene Barry, that I used to see as a kid, but I don't believe any movie was ever made about the Battle of Adobe Walls.

PopcornTreeCt 06-18-09 10:22 AM

Quint in Jaws

islandclaws 06-18-09 12:11 PM

The Norweigan camp's story from The Thing.

MrSmearkase 06-18-09 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9511312)
The Norweigan camp's story from The Thing.

I think this is the idea for the prequel, the status of which I don't remember.

Groucho 06-18-09 12:25 PM

Hamlet's two buddies, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Giantrobo 06-18-09 12:36 PM

Off the top:

1. The story behind Grand Moff Tarkin and the officers around him
2. The Minutemen (Watchmen)

inri222 06-18-09 12:40 PM

The big black guy in the cowboy hat & jockstrap that slaps the shit out of Al Pacino in Cruising.

RagingBull80 06-18-09 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9510987)
Quint in Jaws

Good call.

Floyd from True Romance.

Groucho 06-18-09 12:44 PM

Dr. Jekyll's maid.

MBoyd 06-18-09 01:15 PM

I'd love to see a Jeffery Wright Felix Leiter film.

devilshalo 06-18-09 01:23 PM

Biggs Darklighter.

riley_dude 06-18-09 01:26 PM

Heather Mooney in Romy and Michelle's High School reunion.

Mondo Kane 06-18-09 01:40 PM

The Gimp

hasslein 06-18-09 01:40 PM

Landon (astronaut that was captured and given a lobotomy) in Planet of the Apes.

Fist of Doom 06-18-09 02:12 PM

The Life Aquatic with Alistair Hennessey

chris_sc77 06-18-09 05:34 PM

Son of Seabiscuit

milo bloom 06-18-09 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9511394)
Off the top:

1. The story behind Grand Moff Tarkin and the officers around him

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 9511563)
Biggs Darklighter.

I love to see how people are still intrigued by the slightest things in the Star Wars movies, despite all the flack people give Lucas for his writing.

And to show I mean that in a friendly way: I would truly and honestly love to see a Discovery Channel-style documentary on the scouting and construction of Echo Base on Hoth.

Apone 06-18-09 08:23 PM

Jim Hopper in Predator.

Living Deadpan 06-18-09 08:46 PM

I'd like to see the movie where the characters of Peter Stormare & Steve Buscemi from Fargo spend 90 minutes driving around looking for a pancakes house. ("pancakes" typo deliberate)

"I got shot in the fucking face, and you want more fucking pancakes?"
"I'm fucking hungry now you know!"
"You see this?! I got fucking shot! I got shot in the fucking face! I'm taking the fucking pancake."
"We split that."
"How the hell do you split a pancake, you fucking dummy? With a fucking chainsaw?"

Rockmjd23 06-18-09 08:58 PM

Piggy: The Story of Jek Porkins

Rubix 06-19-09 04:31 AM

i'd love to see how the big fat skinhead guy from american history x lives his life. that guy rules... minus that whole kill all blacks and jews thing.

wouldn't mind following fairuza balk's character around either. hot!!!

bluetoast 06-19-09 11:12 AM

The events of Rush Hour, as told through the perspectives of Agents Whitney and Russ. Here they are trying to do their job of resolving a kidnapping, and every once in a while, Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker interrupt their progress.