Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Natalie Portman slammed by her Black Swan dance double

Originally Posted by Groucho
Only 80%? That French dude who knocked Portman up is a lying liar who lies!
It's probably not even his baby! At least, no more than 80% his ...
Old 03-29-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
News Flash: Jackie Chan does not do all his own stunts. And hasn't for over 25 years.

Anyone here remember FLASHDANCE? A dancer named Marine Jahan did all the dance shots in Jennifer Beals' dance numbers. Everyone knew about it. No one complained. Ms. Jahan got plenty of publicity. At least that's how I remember it.

Here's what Wikipedia says in its entry on Jahan, implying there was a lot more "controversy" than I remember:

"Marine Jahan (born January 1, 1959, Versailles, France) is a French actress most widely known for having doubled for Jennifer Beals in the 1983 movie Flashdance.[1] At the time of its release, Jahan's role in the movie was controversial for several reasons. Beals was an unknown actress when Flashdance came out, and throughout the movie there were a lot of close up shots of what was implied to be Beals' body. However Marine Jahan's role was not listed on the movie's opening or ending credits, and because the movie was a huge hit by the time the truth had come out, some felt deceived to find out it was neither Beals' body nor her dancing.[2] The producers of the film stated it was never a secret that they had used a stunt double, and that Jahan's name not appearing in the film was due to Paramount Pictures shortening the closing credits.[3] Marine Jahan's other major film appearance was as a dancer in "Torchie's" bar in the 1984 movie Streets of Fire.

Jahan also played the role of Madame St. Cyr in the 1997 Broadway production of The Scarlet Pimpernel. She also made a guest appearance on the short-lived television series, The Wizard in 1986. She played the part of a dancer who is paralyzed after being shot by a stalker."

News Flash #2: I pointed this out pages ago. Therefore, I get 80% of the credit for being first and original. You get maybe 20% for being second and quoting Wikipedia.
Old 03-29-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mila Kunis spoke out on this:

Black Swan co-star Mila Kunis is speaking out in support of her friend and cast mate Natalie Portman amid accusations that the bulk of the dancing in Portman’s Oscar-winning role was actually performed by her dancing double, American Ballet Theatre soloist Sarah Lane. “Natalie danced her a– off,” says Kunis. “I think it’s unfortunate that this is coming out and taking attention away from [the praise] Natalie deserved and got.”
Kunis also says Portman has been honest about how much of the demanding footwork she was — and wasn’t — able to do. “She’ll tell you [that], no, she was not on pointe when she did a fouetté [turn]. No one’s going to deny that. But she did do every ounce of every one of her dances,” she says. “[Lane] wasn’t used for everything. It was more like a safety net. If Nat wasn’t able to do something, you’d have a safety net. The same thing that I had — I had a double as a safety net. We all did. No one ever denied it.”
Last week, Lane told EW that she performed 95 percent of Portman’s full-body dance shots. Portman has been defended vocally by fiancé and Black Swan choreographer Benjamin Millepied and director Darren Aronofsky, who insists Portman did 80 percent of the dancing in the film.
Old 03-29-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Its seems like Sarah Lane doesn't really want to work again.
Old 03-29-11, 09:14 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Its seems like Sarah Lane doesn't really want to work again.
Exactly. Now she's got Portman, Kunis, Millepied and Aranofsky speaking out against her comments. Ouch.

She sounds like someone whose head got a little too big for her tutu.
Old 03-29-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Lane was just frustrated, perhaps exaggerated a bit and now her words are in the press all over. She must have hit a nerve though if all these people are defending Portman.
Old 03-29-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a longer reply but my browser crashed. Two main points:

1. Regarding Lane not getting work. She isn't a Hollywood stunt double, she's a performance artist with a career outside of Hollywood, and a pretty successful one at that. There is a reason the studio could only get her for a couple of weeks.

2. I noticed some posters earlier saying Lane started this mess, but she didn't. Fox started it with their PR whitewash. An editor of Dance Magazine noticed what they were doing and posted about it on her blog, including the re-editing of the VFX video I posted earlier. Then Portman's beau gave his defense, outright saying Natalie did almost all the dancing, which was what Lane responded to.
Old 03-29-11, 12:26 PM

Movies are an illusion. Whether someone takes 50 takes to get something right or CGI, mirrors, wires or a double is used to achieve the goal, it's all about creating the illusion that tells the story. This shaming of actors/actresses because they can't do it all is silly. I fail to see the big deal here.
Old 03-29-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa
News Flash #2: I pointed this out pages ago. Therefore, I get 80% of the credit for being first and original. You get maybe 20% for being second and quoting Wikipedia.
Whoa! I lose points for not noticing your post (sorry), but you didn't even mention her name (Marine Jahan) in your post. After all these years, you're still trying to suppress that poor girl's career. So you should settle for 60%, okay?
Old 03-29-11, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Are you suggesting that Natalie Portman and Christian Bale blew a majority of the nearly 6,000 voting Academy members?

If so, they absolutely deserve a trophy.
I took it as he thought they got skinny by way of bulimia not that they were blowing their way to the top.
Old 03-29-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza
I took it as he thought they got skinny by way of bulimia not that they were blowing their way to the top.
Same here. Both Bale and Portman lost a lot of weight for their performances and besides, a weak gag reflex would be a really bad thing for somebody who is giving a blow job.
Old 03-29-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickee
Reading all the articles involved, it appears like they aren't actually disagreeing on what Natalie actually did, just the percentages involved....The studio says it was 90% Natalie and Lane says it was 5% Natalie.
The percentages probably aren't even that different, since Lane said that 5% of the full body shots were Natalie unaltered. As you point out, there weren't a whole lot of full body shots anyway.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/2...k-swan-double/
“Of the full body shots, I would say 5 percent are Natalie,” says Sarah Lane... “The shots that are just her face with arms, those shots are definitely Natalie,” she says. “But that doesn’t show the actual dancing.”
Old 03-30-11, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Ten Signs Your Stunt Double Is a Fame Junky

I find it very ironic that the movie portrays ballerinas as a cut throat, throw one another under the bus stereotype...and then this happens.
Old 03-30-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kevin Bacon didn't do all his dancing in Footloose either.
Old 03-30-11, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Kevin Bacon didn't do all his dancing in Footloose either.
He's a white guy afterall. He must have had a double.
Old 03-30-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Yeah and Richard Pryor was Eddie Murphy's double.

Old 03-30-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Same here. Both Bale and Portman lost a lot of weight for their performances and besides, a weak gag reflex would be a really bad thing for somebody who is giving a blow job.
But great for the person on the receiving end.
Old 03-30-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Yeah and Richard Pryor was Eddie Murphy's double.

Why the heck would you need a double for that scene anyway?

I doubt Charlie would have needed a double for that scene...
Old 03-30-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Why the heck would you need a double for that scene anyway?

I doubt Charlie would have needed a double for that scene...
The stunt double for Eddie Murphy in that shot was probably not for Eddie Murphy's safety, but for the other stunt man's safety. You want to make sure the throw is executed correctly so that the fall goes as planned.
Old 03-30-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And with that, I'm actually going to see this for the first time in half an hour.
So what did you make of it? I wonder if your viewing was effected by the info in this thread clouding your preconceptions. Hope not, but I suspect this is what happens to me.
Old 03-30-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread really has nothing to do with the film.
Old 03-30-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Isn't this thread a moot point?
Old 03-30-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
So what did you make of it? I wonder if your viewing was effected by the info in this thread clouding your preconceptions. Hope not, but I suspect this is what happens to me.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see it. I went in, saw the first few minutes, but my friends couldn't get in. Crowded night at the drafthouse. So I left to join them...though I think it is still playing there, so maybe next week.

But at the beginning when there were insert shots of her feet, I thought about this thread.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-30-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman in supernatural thriller

Can anybody else believe that this grossed $300 mil worldwide? I loved the movie, it was my favorite film of 2010, but I never thought it would get anywhere close to this.