Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies where a resurrected villain is scared of modern technology

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any movies out there where villain is either resurrected, or travels through time to the present day, and is shown scared of cars, televisions, artificial lights, etc?

I was thinking back to vampire or mummy movies and was always curious why someone who has been dead for hundreds (or thousands) of years is never leery of modern tech.

The same could also be asked of "modern" bad guys who wind up in the future. They somehow seem right at home with advanced technology that wasn't around in their time.
Old 04-17-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Movies where a resurrected villain is scared of modern technology

I can't think of any movies where a bad guy was afraid of technology. In Demolition Man, Simon Phoenix loves all the new technology and exploits it. In Encino Man, Link is wary of technology, but he's not the bad guy. These are completely useless suggestions.
Old 04-17-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These pretzels are making me thirsty?
Old 04-17-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Hocus Pocus. The witches are revived and are initially wary of, if not terrified of, modern technology.
Old 04-17-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does Hollywood hate villains who travel into the future and are afraid of modern technology so much?

= J
Old 04-17-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

They weren't the villains, but were certainly bad guys during their time; Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had Genghis Kahn and Napoleon that were afraid of cars and whatnot.
Old 04-17-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
In Demolition Man, Simon Phoenix loves all the new technology and exploits it.
I thought it was stated in the movie that Simon had training in future weapons/technology while he was frozen.

I was thinking that there aren't many scenes of bad guys being leery of cars (and such) because it would make them seem less menacing. Like his/her ability to take over the world is less believable because a TV set scares them.
Old 04-17-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I thought it was stated in the movie that Simon had training in future weapons/technology while he was frozen.

I was thinking that there aren't many scenes of bad guys being leery of cars (and such) because it would make them seem less menacing. Like his/her ability to take over the world is less believable because a TV set scares them.
You appear to have missed my disclaimer :

Originally Posted by me
These are completely useless suggestions.
Yeah, I think you are right about it making them less menacing. I remember that Star Trek: TNG episode where Moriarty escaped from the holodeck, and he seemed to adapt pretty quickly; that made his character more menacing because while he was formidable in his time, he became frightening when he got his hands on phasers and shit.

It feels like a more common scenario related to what you are suggesting is found in a comedy or light sci-fi movie. Didn't Kate & Leopold and Enchanted have several, similar scenes where a displaced character either misunderstood or was startled by technology?
Old 04-17-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

What about Dr. Evil in the the Austin Powers flicks. He seems weary and taken aback by all the new technology at first. I think... it's been awhile since I've seen those movies.
Old 04-17-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what about the dude with the glass eye in last action hero? would that kinda count? he's not used to things being REAL but he's not exactly freaked out by the technology.
Old 04-17-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

In reverse, Army of Darkness comes to mind
Old 04-17-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread reminded me of John Lone's Ghengis Khan getting resurrected into a metropolis city in The Shadow...

Villains that time travel/get resurrected to the future are very open-minded and adaptable to technology. They play it cool and just don't freak out as much like the good guys.
Old 04-17-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
what about the dude with the glass eye in last action hero? would that kinda count? he's not used to things being REAL but he's not exactly freaked out by the technology.
I always took that as him being crafty, but discovering that things (movie cliches) he took as being true were now not.

At first I thought that a villain not being scared might be a movie cliche, but it probably has more to do with the writing and characters. A good guy shown being scared/confused lends to some character development, as a villain being shown probably isn't. Of course, not showing a bad guy being scared/leery makes them seem more one-dimensionally "evil".
Old 04-18-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages, and two million in punitive damages. Thank you.
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
Old 04-18-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The three seashells scare me.
Old 04-19-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In Time After Time, David Warner as Jack the Ripper is transported to late 70s San Francisco. I guess that doesn't really count, because he's never shown as being afraid of technology, but curious, and later enthralled at the modern lack of morals.