Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 02:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

Originally Posted by Dane
Not quite.

IFC has bought both the UNRATED (The Protestant version) and the RATED version (The Catholic version). So know one knows which version will be the theatrical version.

Italy has bought "The Protestant version" Whereas Germany has bought "The Catholic version"

Difference between the two versions - according to Zentropa - is one or two minutes.

when does IFC plan on releasing this to the theatres and On Demand?
Old 06-18-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antichrist, the new movie from Lars Von Trier, was perhaps the most talked-about movie at Cannes this year. It continues to make headlines as it slowly winds towards theatres outside the Croisette and Scandanavian countries. And now, evidently, it is going to spawn a video game. A post on the video game message board NeoGAF led to some wild Googling, which turns up a Politiken.dk article (Google translation, which may contain movie spoilers) announcing the game’s development.
Old 08-07-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Saw this one again last night. Almost a completely different experience after reading Eberts analysis if it. There's a lot of clever symbolism and ideas in it. Great movie.

And it hits Blu-ray in the UK in november.
Old 08-27-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I just watched the movie. I found it to be interesting but very nasty at points. First time in many many years where i have physically squirmed when watching certain scenes. A movie i will certain be giving a lot of thought to in coming days...but not one i will want to revisit any time soon.
Old 09-03-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My review:

Spoiler:
(Un)Holy Fuck!!!
Old 09-03-09, 12:51 PM

A few things made me squirm, but not as "hardcore" as I had been expecting. Still a great movie though.
Old 09-03-09, 01:54 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Where did you all see it? It doesn't open in USA until October.
Old 09-03-09, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I saw it in Geneva on vacation the other month. Two or three people walked out. Good times!
Old 09-03-09, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i umm.. downloaded it. tsk tsk.

and what a phenomenally mesmerizing art film this was!

there's a lengthy article about it in the latest issue of Film Comment - positioning Lars von Trier as a director attempting to retain the same elements of unrestrained artful storytelling influenced by the approach and recent deaths of Antonioni, Bergman, and Tarkovsky. It kind of implies von Trier carrying the torch of these late greats. neat article.
Old 09-04-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Outside of the US it's been shown in many countries already
Old 09-10-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
A few things made me squirm, but not as "hardcore" as I had been expecting. Still a great movie though.
Just watched it and I feel the same exact way.
Old 09-10-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I just watched it and feel the same way as everyone else so far. Two pretty big cringe moments but i think people are flying way off the handle. I have a feeling the sexual scenes are what are putting critics off. I will say though that this has the dubious honor off being only the second movie ive said "f this ill watch it during the day." Something about a GOOD use of sound(and sometimes none at all) and haunting imagery creeps me out more than a traditional scare. Oh and the first movie to make me say that was The Shining
Old 09-10-09, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69
I have a feeling the sexual scenes are what are putting critics off.
I feel the same way. I think people were more put off
Spoiler:
seeing a clit, than seeing a clit being cut off.
Old 09-10-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Details on the 2 gruesome scenes:

Spoiler:
So far, no review has gone into gruesome details, though, from what we gather, here's how it goes down, more or less: After knocking him unconscious, Gainsbourg bores a hole in Dafoe's leg with a hand drill and bolts him to a grindstone to keep him from escaping. Then, she smashes his scrotum with some sort of blunt object (the moment of impact happens slightly below the frame). We don't actually see his testicles become disengaged from this body, though it's apparently implied. Next, she brings him to a climax with her hands and he ejaculates blood (yes, it's shown). But that's not all! Later, in an extreme closeup — lensed by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle! — Gainsbourg cuts off her own clitoris with a pair of scissors.
Jesus Christ.

Old 09-10-09, 09:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers
Jesus Christ.

no... 'Anti' Christ
Old 09-10-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers
Jesus Christ.

Whoa.

I'm not a prude by any means, but are scenes like that REALLY necessary?
Old 09-10-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Whoa.

Its someones vision. They were necessary for him to tell the story the way he wanted to. Thats it nothing to it.
Old 09-10-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i managed to see the movie as i have a friend who is a movie reviewer and he was provided with s screener dvd and we managed to watch that together. It was very interesting as another friend joined us who is a psychologist and we had a very long discussion about the movie afterwards.

In response to those that wonder if what is shown is necessary, well the movie really has issues with the idea of religions, spirituality, sexuality and the idea that women are almost to be considered un-natural....even evil. The film as any fan of Von triers will see has large aspects of misogny and even though it is not easy to watch the scenes of violence are certainly things that go beyond the shocking and have meaning behind them. The symbolism in the movie is what i found to be incredibly interesting. For example at one point when they go to Eden the female character mentions that the noise on the roof is the acorns falling. She also mentions that an Oak tree only needs to have one acorn grow in a hundred years in order to reproduce. I found the noise of the acorns and the fact that they never stop is fascinating. It clearly is there to remind her continually that the falling acorn is nature representing the falling of her child and constantly reminding (even punishing) her of what happened. After watching it a second time i now really appreciate this movie and don't think it deserves the criticism it has been given.
Old 09-10-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Its someones vision. They were necessary for him to tell the story the way he wanted to. Thats it nothing to it.
Yeah I guess that's true, but still...yikes.
Old 09-11-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Whoa.

I gotta agree.

I'm not one for censorship, but depending on the situation, some lines really SHOULD be drawn.

Every time I read about
Spoiler:
Charlotte smashing Willem's balls and jerking him off afterwards
, I feel incredibly sick.
Old 09-11-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ No they shouldn't. Unless it's downright illegal of course
Old 09-11-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ No they shouldn't. Unless it's downright illegal of course
I'm guessing he means the filmmakers themselves should draw their own line. I didn't get from that post that he's in support of censorship.

I'm not either. I understand that it was his movie and he's free to do whatever he wants and if I don't want to watch it I don't have to. I just wonder if showing those scenes in graphic detail really made the movie better. The point could still be made by showing those scenes off camera.

Then again, that's what he wanted to do, so it's all good. I, personally, don't want to see it though.
Old 09-14-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Solid film. I'm not a huge Von Trier fan but he's typically pushing buttons and hamhandedly exploring his usual themes in good form with this one. Might be my second favorite film by him. Nice to see he's back to making actual films with his solid mastery of visuals and scoring instead of just sparingly DV filming staged plays.

As for the explicit stuff, it didn't really rattle me that much and is so quick and obvious, the bits could be removed without harming the film in any way. You get the point without those two or thee graphic shots, but I can see why he chose to include them.
Old 09-14-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jesus christ this movie was fucked up. I shouldn't have watched it at 3 in the morning. I could not sleep after watching this movie.

For once, someone made a good horror movie.
Old 09-26-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this last night. I didn't like it. Very slow-paced.. I got a lot of the imagery von Trier was going for, so I understand that, but I think all of this gore and stuff that's hyped up is just for shock. Not only that, but nothing remotely gory happens until the end of the film.

This movie was nothing spectacular. If anything I think it's getting a lot of buzz over nothing since those "shock scenes" are just reminiscent of the shock scenes in movies like Misery and Fatal Attraction. That's it.

Spoiler:
That clit cutting scene was fucking vile - but absolutely not necessary. The audience seeing it adds absolutely nothing. Same with the scene where she jerks off Defoe and he ejaculates blood. Fucked up imagery, but it adds nothing to the story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.