Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (v2.0)

Old 05-18-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (v2.0)

Once again so we're all clear...

There are no movie plans:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-1687099.html

Originally Posted by Joss Whedon
“I think it’s not going to happen, a reunion movie is extremely far fetched at this point given where everybody is. I think its time to stop the rumours.”
Can't get more final than that.
Old 05-26-09, 01:44 AM

From The Hollywood Reporter:
'Buffy' in for feature relaunch by Borys Kit
Players meeting with writers for new take on the franchise

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him. Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

They slay us:

Who should play Buffy in the "Vampire Slayer" relaunch?

Megan Fox (Love at first bite)
Kristen Stewart (Knows her vamps)
Jessica Stroup (High school horror)
Amanda Seyfried (She has the pipes)
Teresa Palmer (Ready for the leap?)
Other

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5861d83ae30855

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-26-09 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-26-09, 02:03 AM

Technically, that pile of horse manure, um, news about this Kuzui-made movie should get its own thread, since it's not a Whedon-based film. It ain't called "Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer 2.0" for nothing.

That husband and wife team had absolutely no involvement with either television series, other than collecting royalty checks for being responsible for directing/producing the 1992 film. They had Executive Producer credits for both series as a result and it was clearly in name only.

There is no Buffy without Joss Whedon's involvement.
Old 05-26-09, 02:34 AM

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Whedon heard about this.
And I'd be real curious to know what sort of phone calls the perspective writers started to get after taking meetings with the Kuzuis...
Somebody is going to ask Whedon about this at ComicCon. And children, for the first time in history, you will heard the grinding of teeth over a microphone.
Old 05-26-09, 05:13 AM

There may be a way for Joss to spin this all in his favor. Perhaps he can finally get 20th Century Fox off it's ass to finance a proper continuation (if only to mark their territory). That way, the Kazui's can drop this nonsense and get paid without fucking up the brand. If they want to start fresh but still use the "Slayer" mythology, why not tap Whedon to adapt "Fray" into a feature?

Tom Lenk (Andrew) on Twitter:
wow just reading this...I am shocked, speechless...I mean are they kidding???! That is crazytown!

maybe next they'll try other good ideas like the Beatles reunion tour...

"I don't care, just get me the two that are alive, and we'll fill in the empty spaces with Elvis Costello and someone else british..."

"...no one will notice."

http://twitter.com/tomlenk/status/1921390576
http://twitter.com/tomlenk/status/1921408451
http://twitter.com/tomlenk/status/1921412577
http://twitter.com/tomlenk/status/1921416543
Bryan Lynch (Angel: After The Fall) on Twitter:
They're doing a BUFFY movie without Whedon, or the show characters? The adventures of Buffy and her friends Millow, Miles, and Not-Xander.

http://twitter.com/BrianLynch/status/1921622327
Devin Faraci @ CHUD:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19...AKE/Page1.html

Drew McWeeny @ HitFix:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...r-stir-fans-up

Entertainment Weekly:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...ffy-movie.html

FYI: Dolly Parton co-owns Sandollar Productions which holds the Buffy rights.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-26-09 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-26-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This. Will. Bomb.
Old 05-26-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ia! Kuzui fhtagn!
Old 05-26-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm speechless...

I have been secretly hoping for years now to see Buffy back in any incarnation. And today when I read the headline for a split-second I thought I had gotten my wish until I read the subline: "Without whedon" and yeah...

I'm not going to lie. I'm going to see this. Opening day. But... wow... I feel violated I can only imagine what is going through the heads of Joss Whedon, Gail Berman, and Sarah Michelle Gellar...
Old 05-26-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I don't get it is, a smaller group of fans could got Serenity made, but a lager base of Buffy fans will now get the shaft. Unbelievable.
Old 05-26-09, 11:59 AM

Tim Minear's one-word comment on Whedonesque:

"Unthinkable"
Old 05-26-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
What I don't get it is, a smaller group of fans could got Serenity made, but a lager base of Buffy fans will now get the shaft. Unbelievable.
Sounds like it's a rights issue. A similar thing is happening with Stargate SG-1. In that case, the show cannot release something into theaters, and Emmerich/Devlin apparently want to release new movies which take off from the original film, and ignore the series. (granted, I don't think an SG-1 movie would be successful at all, so they are probably better off sticking to straight to DVD)
Old 05-26-09, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Seriously. With this much uproar you'd think Vertigo would be giving Whedon a call...
Old 05-26-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sigh
Old 05-26-09, 12:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

The whole thing sounds like the Bond mess with Thunderball. They're going to have the rights to use Buffy elements present in the movie, but won't have rights to the material exclusive to the show. So they are going to have to dance very carefully to avoid 'sampling' from the show, which may even make a "tempting to producers now that Twilight is so huge" vampire romance storyline off-limits since the Buffy/Angel storyline was on the show - but not the movie.
Old 05-26-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what exactly is the rights issue involved with Buffy/Angel? I always assumed Fox had controlling rights to the franchise, or do the Kuzuis supercede theirs?
Old 05-27-09, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS View Post
So what exactly is the rights issue involved with Buffy/Angel? I always assumed Fox had controlling rights to the franchise, or do the Kuzuis supercede theirs?
Until this news, I never thought it was like how Lucas owns "Star Wars" but releases it through Fox (and now Warner for Clone Wars). This makes it confusing, that's for sure. At the same time, Fox could still distribute this, even thought it's being produced by this "Vertigo" company.

ANGEL might be a little different, though. Because it came out of the Buffy label the Kuzuis made money off of it through the same royalties but beyond that there's no aspect of the series that had anything to do with the original 1992 movie.

Joss Whedon's lone comment on this so far, courtesy Entertainment Weekly:

"I hope it's cool"
Old 05-27-09, 01:24 AM

I don't know which idea sounds dumber. This or slamming my nuts in a drawer.
Old 05-27-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NitroJMS View Post
The Kuzuis retain rights relating to the film, presumably including a stake (pardon the pun) in any spin-off. However, since all the articles indicate they can't use Xander, Willow, or Angel, they probably don't have any control over the rights to the series (other than getting checks for doing nothing).

So the Kuzuis can make any kind of Buffy film they want, as long as they only use characters established in the movie; Fox/Whedon can make any kind of Buffy related movie or TV show, so long as they get the Kuzuis to sign off. Whether the Kuzuis could make a new Buffy TV series without Fox's permission, I don't know.
Old 05-27-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The Kuzuis retain rights relating to the film, presumably including a stake (pardon the pun) in any spin-off. However, since all the articles indicate they can't use Xander, Willow, or Angel, they probably don't have any control over the rights to the series (other than getting checks for doing nothing).
I don't think any of the articles actually stated that they can't use the TV characters, just that they aren't going to.

Note that I'm not saying that the Kuzuis have any rights to the TV characters one way or the other. Just pointing out that there's nothing official that states what the Kuzuis' rights regarding the film and TV series actually are.
Old 05-27-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They realize without Whedon the film is going to tank right?

The only people who are fans of the franchise are those who were fans of the show.

Nobody goes around saying, "Hey, I really enjoyed that Kristy Swanson movie with Pee-Wee Herman playing a vampire." Because that person doesn't want to come off looking retarded.

Did anyone even enjoy watching the movie? Hell, Donald Sutherland didn't even enjoy making the movie.
Old 05-27-09, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
They realize without Whedon the film is going to tank right?

The only people who are fans of the franchise are those who were fans of the show.

Nobody goes around saying, "Hey, I really enjoyed that Kristy Swanson movie with Pee-Wee Herman playing a vampire." Because that person doesn't want to come off looking retarded.

Did anyone even enjoy watching the movie? Hell, Donald Sutherland didn't even enjoy making the movie.

I know I'm not the only person who actually liked the original movie. Everytime I mention it people usually offer comments such as "ick," "horrible," and "boring" but once in awhile someone will say "yeah I kinda liked that". But at the same token the movie was its own thing. The TV show was something completely else.

I loved the show, it turned me onto TV in general and now 12 years later its what I do for a living. I think that Whedon created an amazing and fantastic universe. And for years I held out hope that a movie would come alone, even if we had to wait 10/15 years for it. But just because this isn't the movie that I'm assuming everyone here wanted, doesn't necessarily mean its going to be a bad movie.

It sucks that instead of getting the reunion tour that we wanted were getting a 'reimaging' complete with new crew: but I'm at least going to take Whedon's stance with "I hope its cool"...
Old 05-30-09, 10:17 PM

Giving Head

From Lorrie Lynch @ The Who's News Blog:
Anthony Head on a possible 'Buffy' movie

With his appearances on Doctor Who and Little Britain, Head says he’s been lucky enough to have four or five iconic English shows under his belt — “What I always find fascinating is I am all things to all men” — but in America, where he has a home in Los Angeles, he’ll always be famous for playing Sarah Michelle Gellar’s sage mentor on Buffy. “Every time I think, ‘Well, everybody must have forgotten it by now,’ there’s a whole new audience. Young kids coming up to me and saying, ‘I love Buffy!’ ” And being so close to the series, which lasted for seven seasons (1997-2003), he understands why there’s been so much fan outrage this week when it was announced that Fran Rubel Kuzui, the director of the original 1992 Buffy movie starring Kristy Swanson, and her husband Kaz were working on a new film without the involvement of series creator Joss Whedon (who also wrote the original movie’s first script).

Doing a Buffy movie without Whedon? “I wouldn’t want to see it, no,” Head admits. “The Kuzuis didn’t do a great job on the movie the first time around. It was Joss’ script at the age of 19, but they changed a lot of it. They said, ‘Look, we know best and we know how to make this movie,’ and it became quite schlocky and high camp.” Head recalls the time when he went to audition for the Buffy series because he loved Whedon’s pilot script so much, and his agent advised him to watch the movie to get the tone of the show before his screen test. “So I did and I went, ‘Oh, that’s not it at all.’ I went in and saw Joss and said, ‘I watched the movie last night!’ And he went, ‘Oh. Did ya?’ I just put it out of my mind. The bottom line is if a movie was ever to be made, it should be made with Joss Whedon, whether it’s a retrospective or not. But it would be madness to do it without him. [The Kazuis] have the rights to because they have the rights to the original movie, but it should be interesting to see. It may be a bit like watching a car wreck.”

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_new...ffy-movie.html
Old 05-30-09, 10:32 PM

I just went even gayer for Tony Head.
Old 05-31-09, 12:28 AM

Tony Head said it best. Hell yes.
Old 05-31-09, 10:55 PM

From XanFan32 @ Whedonesque:
Just a quick mention: Joss spoke at Wesleyan University last night. I was there... and he spoke about the "reboot," more than I had ever seen him comment. Of course, no photography/videotaping was allowed, so I will paraphrase. He said he really enjoyed the Star Trek reboot, that it was done with a respect for the original. He also said that when he first made the Buffy movie, he asked for the TV rights, which were given to him with no issues: they weren't seen as important. But the Kuzuis did retain all movie rights. Which is why we are where we are now. He said, without too much bitterness, that he was probably the only person in Hollywood who *couldn't* made a Buffy movie right now without getting sued.

He also suggested that Fox might try and get a piece of the pie: a la Watchmen. He wasn't sure how the rights would all come together.

He spoke about it with only his usual level of self-deprecation and humor. He sounds like he is still grateful to the Kuzuis for making his little script in the first place, no matter how the first movie turned out. (He also made a number of Donald Sutherland references. Apparently? Paul Rubens is awesome. That Sutherland guy? Not so much).

While I'm not sure I'd see a Buffy movie without Joss, he seems fairly resigned to it and that it's out of his control.

Oh, and as for the rest of the talk? He is *so* nice. Signed everything everyone put in front of him and complained not even once!

http://whedonesque.com/comments/20527#322431

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.