Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Disney Hand Drawn Animated film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Disney Hand Drawn Animated film
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4.60%
Pinocchio
18.39%
Dumbo
3.45%
Fantasia
19.54%
Bambi
2.30%
The Lion King
18.39%
The Jungle Book
4.60%
Cinderella
2.30%
Beauty and the Beast
18.39%
Other (Say what it is)
8.05%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Best Disney Hand Drawn Animated film

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Best Disney Hand Drawn Animated film

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Of that list, I'd rank 'em as follows:

1. Hunchback of Notre Dame -- this is CLASSIC Disney, with breathtaking animation, a majestic score, a great story, and memorable songs. What keeps the film from being a five-star masterpiece is that the filmmakers refused to trust the source material or the situations they derived from them, and inserted some absolutely GOD-AWFUL comic relief. Those gargoyles are terrible; not funny, not interesting, not insightful, and incredibly annoying to the point of not only being a distraction, but a detriment. There are other flaws, but they are minor in comparison. I still love this movie and hold it up as superior animated entertainment. The "Hellfire", "Bells of Notre Dame", and "Topsy-Turvey Day" sequences are some of the best bits Disney has ever done.

2. Mulan -- a beautiful, moving, and often hilarious movie. The songs are OK-to-REALLY GOOD, the character animation and backgrounds are lush and impressive, and a lot of the humor is natural and integrated into the story, rather than being forced and uncomfortable. Eddie Murphy is 1000X better and funnier here than he ever was in the Shrek films.

3. Emperor's New Groove -- this movie is fucking HI-LARIOUS. Disney's riff on 1940s/1950s Warner Brothers shorts. Awesomeness.

4. Atlantis -- a highly underrated sci-fi/action/pulp charmer. A classic? No, but a really good movie nonetheless. If this were a live action big-budget action flick, it would be hailed as a visionary masterpiece. As a Disney animated feature, it gets held to a different standard. Too bad. It works.

5. Lilo & Stitch -- I'm just not quite as blown away by this one as most people are. Nonetheless, I still like it quite a bit. It has a quirk and vibe all its own, an original vision unlike much of what has been put out in animation, before or since.

6. Hercules -- this one probably contains more "fun" than a lot of Disney features of the decade, but doesn't add up to much in the end. I love the songs, the "Greek chorus", the Gerald Scarfe character designs, and James Woods's wonderful take on Hades. Not much else going on, but it's not without its charms. Good movie. Nothing great.

7. Pocahontas -- phenomenal animation, great score, uninspired songs, and a preachy, Politically-Correct storyline that is so careful to be "respectful" that it chokes the narrative flat. I like watching it now and then, because there is much to appreciate in it, but it's not a favorite by any stretch.

8. Tarzan -- Did NOT like this one. Yeah, great animation, no question about it. Everything else fell flat. Rosie O'Donnell's hip-talking ape buddy? The "Smash The Camp" sequence? Blerg. The opening sequence is, admittedly, quite awesome. They should have ended the movie right afterwards.

9. Treasure Planet -- Great animation. Unengaging story. Horrible songs. Overlong, overstuffed, and mostly quite dull, actually... which is odd, giving how much is happening and how opulent the visuals are.

Haven't seen Brother Bear or Home On The Range. I don't think I'm missing much...
Interesting. Outside of Hunchback (only saw it once, at the theater so it's been ages) I'd agree with most of what you posted. Minor quibbles would be: Mulan's tunes were okay, but very forgettable. I actually prefer the songs in Pocahontas. Hercules, on the whole, was largely forgettable save for the muses and James Woods.

The only one I can't get on board with is Tarzan. The animation is amazing. Tarzan himself has some of the best character work in all of Disney's history. Collins score and soundtrack is criminally underrated. The voice talent was on par with Pixar, IMO, each served their role perfectly. I didn't have a problem with Rosie, but I can understand how others could. I love Stomp, so the 'Trashing the camp' sequence was a nice riff off it for me. However it loses points for having N*Sync doing it for the credit roll.

I can't recall a single redeeming thing about Brother Bear. Home on the Range was decent and gets props for casting Rosanne & Jennifer Tilly as the leads, however Cuba Gooding Jr. in this movie is annoying to me in the way Rosie O'Donnell was to you in Tarzan. The songs and animation were decent as well. It's just a ringing endorsement for mediocrity.
Old 03-30-09, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"Steady As The Beating Drum" and "Savages" were kinda OK, but the rest were just... odd. "Once Around The Riverbend" was particularly oversung, overly busy, and just overall really grating. But as always, YMMV...

There were, but the film wasn't a musical. The guy from (IIRC) The Goo Goo Dolls wrote a bunch of pop songs that were featured in the film but not sung by any characters or integrated into the storyline. They were pretty damn bad, too.
but I loved 'The Colours of the Wind'

as for Treasure Planets songs, I guess the 'songs' were memorable for that reason, (i.e, they weren't sung by any of the actual characters). On a sidenote, Don Bluth's Titan A.E had a great ancilary score with Electrasy's 'Cosmic Castaway' being the standout song.
Old 03-30-09, 02:41 PM

while this comment has nothing to do with the animation aspect of Hunchback, the song 'Someday' which was the first song, before it was replaced by God Helps the Outcasts is an excellent soaring song that shouldn't IMO been replaced. The laserdisc special edition as a supplement retains the audio session recording where Demi Moore sings 'Someday' with accompanied pencil animation. I can't remember if it's included on the SE DVD edition.
Old 03-30-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
but I loved 'The Colours of the Wind'

as for Treasure Planets songs, I guess the 'songs' were memorable for that reason, (i.e, they weren't sung by any of the actual characters). On a sidenote, Don Bluth's Titan A.E had a great ancilary score with Electrasy's 'Cosmic Castaway' being the standout song.
Ya know, Titan AE wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than Treasure Planet. Even though I haven't watched the film probably since 2000 or so, I still remember that "Cosmic Castaway" tune, much moreso than anything from Treasure Planet. I guess that says something.

Feature-length, action-oriented animated sci-fi is a hard sell, I'd imagine. Atlantis, Titan AE, and Treasure Planet all under-performed. If you combine their grosses, I don't think they even outgross what "Lilo & Stitch" did, although I could be wrong. WALL-E may be the exception that proves the rule, since it really isn't "action" oriented.

Apropos of nothing, but you know what I'd like to see Pixar do? An animated film that apes the conventions of 1930s/40s Technicolor storybook films, like Flynn's "Adventures of Robin Hood", Lancaster's "The Crimson Pirate", or "Ivanhoe", or whatever. Everytime I watch a "Shrek" movie -- which is rare, because other than the first, I'm not a fan -- they feature such fantastic fantasy animation and imagination, with castles, knights, wizards, archers, kings, princesses, monsters, all the trappings... then they piss it away on silly, smarmy, self-aware pop-culture jokes. So much potential, too.
Old 03-30-09, 03:03 PM

Ya know, Titan AE wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than Treasure Planet. Even though I haven't watched the film probably since 2000 or so, I still remember that "Cosmic Castaway" tune, much moreso than anything from Treasure Planet. I guess that says something.

Feature-length, action-oriented animated sci-fi is a hard sell, I'd imagine. Atlantis, Titan AE, and Treasure Planet all under-performed. If you combine their grosses, I don't think they even outgross what "Lilo & Stitch" did, although I could be wrong. WALL-E may be the exception that proves the rule, since it really isn't "action" oriented.

Apropos of nothing, but you know what I'd like to see Pixar do? An animated film that apes the conventions of 1930s/40s Technicolor storybook films, like Flynn's "Adventures of Robin Hood", Lancaster's "The Crimson Pirate", or "Ivanhoe", or whatever. Everytime I watch a "Shrek" movie -- which is rare, because other than the first, I'm not a fan -- they feature such fantastic fantasy animation and imagination, with castles, knights, wizards, archers, kings, princesses, monsters, all the trappings... then they piss it away on silly, smarmy, self-aware pop-culture jokes. So much potential, too.
I remember being the only one in the theatre for Treasure Planet on it's opening weekend - I knew right away, it wouldn't have any legs or significant box office intake. I would have loved to seen Titan A.E on the big screen, that film widescreen splendor and staggering CGI action scenes scream out for the largest screen possible.

I know many didn't see Hoodwinked because the CGI animation looked ugly, but what the film did do to excellent effect was that it had a great story, very funny characters and a wild sense of humour. I think the reviewer for Entertainment Weekly and I were the only one's who were outright impressed with this film - never guess a film by it's animation style on face value.
Old 03-30-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

3. Emperor's New Groove -- this movie is fucking HI-LARIOUS. Disney's riff on 1940s/1950s Warner Brothers shorts. Awesomeness.
It kills me that this movie (along with Iron Giant) didn't do well in the theaters. VERY funny movie... especially for adults. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it.
Old 03-30-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<embed width="320" height="240" src="http://www.spike.com/efp" quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="flvbaseclip=2817005" allowfullscreen="true"> </embed>