Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wicker Man Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Wicker Man Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
The Wicker Man Trilogy

I didn't see a thread about this so I figured I'd post this here. I found the folloowing in Wikipedia:

The Wicker Man trilogy is a series of three horror films (two of which are upcoming) by British author and director Robin Hardy. Hardy announced plans for the trilogy in a 2007 interview with The Guardian newspaper, though the first film in the trilogy, The Wicker Man, was originally made 35 years before, in 1973.

The films are not directly linked to one another, but form a thematic trilogy, akin to the Three Colours film trilogy of Krzysztof Kieślowski. All three films deal with the theme of paganism in the modern world, and the first two films feature many of the same actors, such as Christopher Lee, albeit in different roles.

The 2006 American remake of The Wicker Man, is not considered to be a part of the trilogy, and Hardy has dissasociated himself from it.
The Wicker Man
The Wicker Man was made in 1973 by Robin Hardy and Anthony Shaffer.

The story synopsis follows a Scottish police officer, Sargeant Neil Howie, visiting the isolated island of Summerisle, in the search for a missing girl. The inhabitants of Summerisle all follow a reconstucted form of Celtic paganism, which shocks and appalls the devoutly Christian Sargeant.

The Wicker Man is generally very highly regarded by critics. Film magazine Cinefantastique described it as "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies", and in 2004 the magazine Total Film named The Wicker Man the sixth greatest British film of all time. It also won the 1978 Saturn Award for Best Horror Film. A scene from this film was #45 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

Cowboys for Christ
Cowboys for Christ was initially written as a novel in 2006 by Robin Hardy. As of 2008, it is under production for making into a film.

Cowboys for Christ follows two young Americans, Beth and Steve, who leave Texas to spread Christianity in Tressock, Scotland. They are welcomed by Sir Lachlan Morrison and his wife, Delia Morrison; unbeknown to Beth and Steve, they are in grave danger from a Celtic pagan community in the village.

] The Twilight of the Gods
The Twilight of the Gods, the only of the three films that has not yet appeared in either literary or theatrical form, is based upon Norse paganism and is to be set in Iceland. The name of the film is based upon Richard Wagner's opera based upon Germanic mythology, Twilight of the Gods. Hardy has said of the plot, "I'm very keen on it, actually."
Cast of Cowboys for Christ
Christopher Lee as Sir Lachlan Morrison
Joan Collins as Delia Morrison
Graham McTavish as Beam
Morgan James as Beth Boothby
Paul Wesley as Steve Thompson
Susie Amy as Lolly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man_Trilogy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_for_Christ <-- MAJOR SPOILERS
Old 03-09-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Wicker Man Trilogy

Sadly, it seems that due to budget constraints, the sequel is on indefinite hold.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-09-09 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The basic plot of Cowboys for Christ sounds fairly similar to The Wicker Man to me. Still, I'll see the other films if they've got the same sense of atmosphere as the original.
Old 03-09-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe if they made this in 1975 it would be cool. Making it in 2009... well, you just know how it's going to turn out.
Old 03-09-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e6i2WRreARo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e6i2WRreARo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 03-09-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e6i2WRreARo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e6i2WRreARo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Was that a comedy? ::
Old 03-09-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the deal with all the plots being about Christians imperiled by evil pagans?
Old 03-09-09, 10:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Had no idea there was a trilogy, but after experiencing The Wicker Man remake -- not sure I want to go down that road again.
Old 03-09-09, 02:35 PM
Banned by request

The Wicker Man remake has nothing to do with it, though. This is from the guy who wrote the original movie.
Old 03-09-09, 03:57 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Wicker Man remake has nothing to do with it, though. This is from the guy who wrote the original movie.
Right, but similar to KillerCannibal's remark -- I'm not confident the result will fare all that well in 2009.
Old 03-09-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst part of the remake is that it ruins the original. I love the original, though...great movie.
Old 03-09-09, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Right, but similar to KillerCannibal's remark -- I'm not confident the result will fare all that well in 2009.
If the remake were done by the same guy trying to make the sequels, I'd agree with you.
Old 03-09-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Was that a comedy? ::
I still don't know. Sometimes I think that the director (can't think of his name at the moment) was just fucking with us.

I understand that the [possible] new movie is from the original's director. I just love that video. If you liked that, look for the directors cut with "NOOO NOOO NOT MY LEGS NOOO".

I actually recommend watching it. It's going to be a silly favorite in the future.
Old 03-09-09, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

Amazingly, Neil LaBute (In The Company Of Men, Nurse Betty, The Shape of Things) directed the remake of the Wicker Man. If any director would fuck with his audience, to the degree of making a comedy in the guise of a serious horror film, it would be LaBute. I hope that's what he was going for.
Old 03-09-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Wow! There was absolutely no MTV Movie Awards or SNL sketch required to spoof that one, huh?