Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle for Terra (2009) - Luke Wilson, Brian Cox, James Garner, Evan Rachel Wood

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Battle for Terra (2009) - Luke Wilson, Brian Cox, James Garner, Evan Rachel Wood

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0858486/

So I went to an unnamed 3D Disney feature last night with my daughters and I saw a trailer for this movie that I haven't heard of before. I'm actually surprised to not find any talk here about it already.

Spoiler:
Mala (Evan Rachel Wood) is a precocious girl living on the beautiful planet Terra, a place where peace and tolerance are celebrated. Unbeknownst to Mala and her fellow Terrians, the last inhabitants of Earth have exhausted the resources of their planet and those of three others, and are now searching for a new home. This Earthforce has discovered that the use of a Terraformer will make Terra habitable for humans but poisonous for Terrians. When the Earthlings embark on a hostile invasion of Terra, Mala's father, Roven (Dennis Quaid), is kidnapped. Hoping to save her father, Mala captures and hides a crashed human pilot named Jim (Luke Wilson). While Mala nurses Jim back to health, the two forge a friendship and a plan that could save both the human race and the planet of Terra. Soon, however, they realize that peace will not be secured unless they can combat both the Terraformer and dark political forces that will stop at nothing in their drive to achieve power for power's sake.

While Terra's message that peace is a question of free will and choice is a potent one, the exuberance of Mala and her young friends carries the film. Director Aristomenis Tsirbas paints a landscape of pastoral pleasure, and our admiration for Terra's idyllic vistas is only heightened when they are invaded.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...-terra/trailer
Old 03-04-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Battle for Terra (2009) - Luke Wilson, Brian Cox, James Garner, Evan Rachel Wood

I saw a trailer a couple weeks ago and kept asking myself how are they making a sequal to Delgo? and how will they find a open 3-d screen to show this movie in the summer?
Old 03-04-09, 03:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Battle for Terra (2009) - Luke Wilson, Brian Cox, James Garner, Evan Rachel Wood

they 3D-ified it? cause I saw this last Fall at the Virginia Film Festival, in 2D - it's surprisingly violent and entertaining, I didn't see Delgo, but it seems a bit unfair in assuming it's that bad.

apparently at my screening of that unnamed Disney 3D film there wasn't a trailer for this with it.
Old 03-04-09, 03:14 PM

here's the poster:

Old 03-04-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks OK, but I thought the aliens were like insect sized for the first half of the trailer.
Old 03-04-09, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got excited when I saw the title and cast but then I see its animated. SO, not interested.
Old 03-05-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Wonder if James Garner did his sceens before or after his stroke?
Old 03-05-09, 09:10 AM

I would assume the film was shot and completed in early to mid 2007, since it had it's premier at Toronto '07

when did Garner have his stroke.
Old 03-05-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Looks OK, but I thought the aliens were like insect sized for the first half of the trailer.
You mean they're not?

I saw the trailer for this before Street Fighter the other day. It looks boring.
Old 03-05-09, 11:54 AM

it's not boring, it's pretty action packed and ultimately has a message.
Old 03-05-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
it's not boring, it's pretty action packed and ultimately has a message.
Yeah, this seemed clear from the trailer. But that shouldn't get in someone's way of
Old 04-30-09, 09:11 PM

So where is this being shown in 3D? I cannot find a 3D showing within a 100 miles.
Old 05-01-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lots of theaters are holding on to MONSTERS VS ALIENS. However, TERRA is playing in 3-D in several venues in my area also.
Old 05-02-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

So is it any good? It looks like a great premise. An alien invasion in reverse.
Old 05-03-09, 11:07 AM

there's only theatre in the entire DC/VA/MD playing Terra in 3D because they couldn't originally get MvA - the Cinema De Lux
Old 05-03-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I saw the trailer for this and my immediate assumption, before they reached the actual title, was that this was a trailer for James Cameron's AVATAR and I wondered how what is supposed to be the most expensive movie ever made could look so cheesy. But then they revealed the the title, BATTLE FOR TERRA, and I was relieved.

I wouldn't mind seeing a live-action Earth-vs.-Terra sci-fi film in 3-D, but not this one.
Old 05-03-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The trailer does not do this movie any favors, that's for sure. I saw it before Wolverine yesterday and it looked pretty bad.