Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Part 2 (2010?) - new, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Next 'Friday the 13th' in the works
By Steven Zeitchik

Jason's coming back.

The villain who's defied death more often than Evil Knievel is making another appearance on the big screen. Sources saying that New Line and Platinum Dunes are moving forward on a new “Friday the 13th" and that Damian Shannon and Mark Swift, who wrote the recently released reboot, beginning work on a script for a new picture.

There's a catch, though.

Unlike the sophomore efforts of other franchises, the new “Friday” is expected to be not a sequel so much as a follow-up, those familiar with the project say. Jason Voorhees will be the villain, of course, but the new picture is expected to use elements of the original franchise more as a jumping-off point than as a template.

The reason? The reboot drew from the first four pictures in the “Friday” series, and producers are said not to be keen on the plot elements of the half-dozen movies that followed.
And Marcus Nispel, who directed the latest film, is a possible but unlikely candidate to helm the “Friday” follow-up; the director is believed to be fielding offers for movies across other genres.

The wild cards are stars Jared Padalecki and Amanda Righetti; though both survive in the latest film and are considered rising young stars, they also are on hit TV shows (“Supernatural” and “The Mentalist,” respectively) and their schedules could be too packed.

Insiders caution that there is no green light and Platinum Dunes and New Line are actively working together on another franchise reboot, “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” which is set to start shooting in two months.

Still, the “Friday” property is a desirable one, and in a best-case scenario the next film could be ready as early as the second half of 2010.

The first reboot, which brought a group of attractive young victims nack to get slashed at Camp Crystal Lake, was one of the surprise hits of the winter, earning $70 million worldwide. New Line and Paramount split domestic and international rights on the recent release and likely would do so again on a new picture.

In addition to the new “Friday,” the CAA-repped Shannon and Swift are in development on a number of other projects, including “Inland Saints” for Paramount and “Jerry the Giant Killer” for Columbia.
Old 02-27-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part 2 (2010?) - new, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Sort of confusing article. So this next movie doesn't continue from the recent movie? Is it another reboot or just a F13 movie that doesnt' use any previous movie as 'history'?

Sure F13 (2009) borrowed from original movies. Doesn't mean pt2 has to take ideas from the other movies.
Old 02-27-09, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, it appears the writer of the article didn't actually watch the movie. Otherwise he wouldn't be talking about those stars working the new movie into their schedules.
Old 02-27-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need new screenwriters for this sequel....
Old 02-27-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So it's not a sequel because it's not another remake but it does follow after the events of the first remake? *head explodes*

That article makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 02-27-09, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

I think their point was they aren't going to use the other Friday sequels as inspiration for where this new series will be headed.
Old 02-27-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I got that. But that doesn't stop it from being a sequel. It'll be a sequel to the remake but wont be a remake itself. Still a sequel.
Old 02-27-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE get rid of Shannon, Swift and Nispel. All three of them have siphoned the fun out of watching a Friday the 13th movie, making it into a drab gorebath.
Old 02-27-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spoiler for the one in theaters now:
Spoiler:
The wild cards are stars Jared Padalecki and Amanda Righetti; though both survive in the latest film
It was my impression that neither survived. The last shot of the movie is Jason bursting up through the pier and grabbing the girl after they disposed of his "dead" body in the lake. Of course, this means next to nothing in a horror flick.

After this one made a lot more than expected, there was obviously going to be a sequel, or a follow-up.
Old 02-27-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
They'll probably follow F13th tradition and have them offed during the openning of the second film.
Old 02-27-09, 09:54 AM
Banned

I hope they move it out of crystal lake and make it fun like Jason goes to Manhatten. Or give t some continuity like a new "tommy" or something.
The remake was just completely joyless, predictable and a waste of my time.
Old 02-27-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd see a sequel, I just hope the kills are abit more over the top than the remake.
Old 02-27-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Count me in as another that would love to see a new Tommy Jarvis story arc for the sequel. I don't know who I'd want to see write/direct this one, but I'm ok with Nispel being out, and I don't care if Shannon & Swift remain because there are MUCH worse writers that could end up handling this.
Old 02-27-09, 02:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far the sequels to the remakes (2006's Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and 2007's Hills Have Eyes 2) have been a big step down from their predecessors. It just felt to me that neither film tried very hard.

I think its interesting that the article says:
The reboot drew from the first four pictures in the “Friday” series
I can definitely see 1-3 in there, but not a lot of Part 4 other than the 'brother of victim comes to Crystal Lake for answers' subplot, and even that was heavily altered. Not that I have a problem with them veering in a new direction for the sequel, I'm actually in favor of it.
Old 02-27-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'd see a sequel, I just hope the kills are abit more over the top than the remake.
or ya'know, actual kills with blood!

How many memorable deaths were there in the reboot? One? And IMO, it was more memorable for the tits..
Old 02-27-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I can definitely see 1-3 in there, but not a lot of Part 4 other than the 'brother of victim comes to Crystal Lake for answers' subplot, and even that was heavily altered. Not that I have a problem with them veering in a new direction for the sequel, I'm actually in favor of it.
Also the idea of the kids going to a house out in the country (near Crystal Lake) to party is from part 4.

There might be more but can't think of them.
Old 02-27-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I hope they move it out of crystal lake and make it fun like Jason goes to Manhatten. Or give t some continuity like a new "tommy" or something.
But Jason was in Manhattan for like a whole 15 minutes in that movie. I'd like to see them do Crystal Lake but during the winter where the Lake is frozen over.
Old 02-27-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
So far the sequels to the remakes (2006's Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and 2007's Hills Have Eyes 2) have been a big step down from their predecessors. It just felt to me that neither film tried very hard.
Agreed. Both flicks were pretty damn bad. Really disappointing. Regardless, I'd give a Friday sequel a chance.
Old 02-27-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'd like to see them do Crystal Lake but during the winter where the Lake is frozen over.
Bingo!

I've always wanted to see Jason standing in the cold with steam from his breath coming through the holes of his mask. Also would be a good excuse for Jason to lift a victim straight up into a large icicle and having them slide slowly down it. (this idea (c)2009 by me)
Old 02-27-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would be sad if Jared is that hard up for Movie work that he has to do another Friday the 13th movie during his Supernatural off time.
How about a Jason vs Michael Myers movie?
Old 02-27-09, 09:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

they need to do a rip off scene from the first Friday the 13th Part 2 with a couple get stabbed through with a spear in all it's gory detail, something the R-rated cut of the 1981 film was denied.
Old 02-27-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sequel needs to work off of more than nostalgia, which is sort of what the most recent film did. I liked the new FT13th, and I'm glad to see a sequel, but it's true, sequels to remakes have sucked (TCM 2, Hills Have Eyes 2), and this one is going to need to really up the ante if they want to make this an actual franchise. I may not have loved the Halloween remake, but at least Zombie is directing the sequel!
Old 02-28-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Spoiler for the one in theaters now:
Spoiler:

It was my impression that neither survived. The last shot of the movie is Jason bursting up through the pier and grabbing the girl after they disposed of his "dead" body in the lake. Of course, this means next to nothing in a horror flick.

After this one made a lot more than expected, there was obviously going to be a sequel, or a follow-up.

Spoiler:

Maybe it is a dream sequence? The original bit in the original film was a dream, and this is a sort of homage to it, albeit it leaves you hanging by cutting to the credits. Thus the scene could be read as 'real' or a 'dream' currently.
Old 03-01-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I may not have loved the Halloween remake, but at least Zombie is directing the sequel!
Aren't you contradicting yourself?
Old 03-01-09, 02:11 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'm sure the first thing they want to do, now that they've established that this iteration of Jason is a huge moneymaker, is to change from the formula they just set up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.