Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eclipse (6/30/2010 - Twilight book 3)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-22-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Summit announces third 'Twilight'
'Eclipse' to be released June 30, 2010
By DAVE MCNARY

'Twilight' has earned $363 million worldwide at the box office.

Fresh from the stunning success of "Twilight," Summit Entertainment has officially greenlit "Eclipse" as the third pic in the series with a release date of June 30, 2010.

Summit's expected to make the official announcement this weekend. "Twilight" has generated $189 million domestically and another $174 million overseas.

Summit's expected to begin production shortly on "New Moon," the second film. Chris Weitz replaced "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke on "New Moon" with they key thesps reprising their roles -- Robert Pattinson as Edward, Kristen Stewart as Bella and Taylor Lautner as Jacob.

Summit hasn't yet selected a director for "Eclipse," in which Bella is forced to choose between Edward and Jacob.

The vampire thriller represents a ready-made franchise for Summit with four books in Stephenie Meyer's series, which have sold more than 17 million copies worldwide.

In "New Moon," the Jacob character becomes a central figure in the plot as Bella is drawn into the world of the werewolves, the ancestral enemies of vampires.
Old 02-22-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Eclipse (6/30/2010 - Twilight book 3)

The second movie bombed so horribly! I dont know why the third would be greenlit
Old 02-24-09, 12:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The Twilight Saga - Eclipse - June 10, 2010

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...-june-30-2010/

I've confirmed there's no director hired yet. And the two productions won't be back-to-back. But that hasn't stopped Summit Entertainment from newly scheduling its Twilight threequel for release on June 30, 2010, not long after its Twilight sequel New Moon set for November 20th this year now being helmed by Chris Weitz. Summit also officially changed the name of its vampire movie franchise based on Stephenie Meyer's bestselling series of novels to The Twilight Saga. Here's how Summit descibes the plot of the threequel Eclipse:

"As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death."

Regarding The Twilight Saga, my sources tell me that director Catherine Hardwick's claim in her diary that she didn't want to helm New Moon isn't accurate because Summit decided not to hire her for New Moon. And I've also learned that Summit only had a deal with Stephenie Meyer for the first book, Twilight. So the start-up film studio had to make individual deals for the other books in Meyer's series, including the new 4th novel Breaking Dawn -- and the author got top-dollar, trust me. To date, Summit's low-cost blockbuster Twilight has earned $363 million in worldwide grosses -- almost evenly divided between domestic and international -- since its release on November 21st, 2008.
Old 02-24-09, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Re: The Twilight Saga - Eclipse - June 10, 2010

I'm pretty excited about this. I understand why they are doing this (to avoid Potter on 2010 and likely Narnia 3). Here's hoping Breaking Dawn arrives as well.
Old 02-24-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My fiance will be estatic over this.
Old 02-24-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-book-3-a.html
Old 02-24-09, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Wow, totally didn't see that other thread.
Old 02-24-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are trying to get this out before the all the young girls get too old.
Most people I knew who saw it and were fans of the books hated the movie so you have to figure the audience will probably much smaller because they won't be duped again.
Old 02-24-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Most people I knew who saw it and were fans of the books hated the movie so you have to figure the audience will probably much smaller because they won't be duped again.
What was your sample size?
Old 02-24-09, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, you are referring to the "Narnia" effect....
I think all these films will all do around the same amount kinda like the Harry Potter series....
Old 02-24-09, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I think all these films will all do around the same amount kinda like the Harry Potter series....
The Twilight films will no way cost anywhere near what the Narnia's did.

Twilights budget was $35 Million. Narnia was $180 Million. Twilight has made almost $190 million here in the states while Narnia did $290.

New Moon is likely to have a budget of about $55 (number I've heard - and likely the same for the next film as well). Prince Caspian's was $200 Million. Caspian made $140 Million in the states.

IF Summit is not happy with New Moon/Eclipse and plans on dropping the franchise I guarantee you another studio will jump right in and produce Breaking Dawn. You must not go to Hot Topic or any other stores...Twilight stuff is nuts right. Its been the #1 DVD on Amazon since it went up. Every store has some sort of exclusive.
Old 02-24-09, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The Twilight films will no way cost anywhere near what the Narnia's did.

Twilights budget was $35 Million. Narnia was $180 Million. Twilight has made almost $190 million here in the states while Narnia did $290.

New Moon is likely to have a budget of about $55 (number I've heard - and likely the same for the next film as well). Prince Caspian's was $200 Million. Caspian made $140 Million in the states.

IF Summit is not happy with New Moon/Eclipse and plans on dropping the franchise I guarantee you another studio will jump right in and produce Breaking Dawn. You must not go to Hot Topic or any other stores...Twilight stuff is nuts right. Its been the #1 DVD on Amazon since it went up. Every store has some sort of exclusive.

(Not directed at you, chris)
Old 02-24-09, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Look at Amazon for the books. Guess whats in the top 10? #2 Breaking Dawn, #4 Eclipse, #8 New Moon and #10 Twilight. Kindle numbers are even better for the series. Its not dying down anytime soon. I think Eclipse will top Twilight's numbers (by 10-15%) when all is said and done.
Old 03-11-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bayona may see an Eclipse
By Steven Zeitchik

Could Summit be going genre with its third "Twilight" pic?

Sources indicate that horror wunderkind -- and Guillermo Del Toro protege -- Juan Antonio Bayona has emerged as one of the finalists to direct "Eclipse," the third movie in Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" franchise.

The studio declined to comment; a rep said producers were looking at a number of candidates.

Bayona's name has come up in recent months, though generally in a group of other directors -- an eclectic list that's ranged from Paul Weitz to Drew Barrymore to James Mangold; earlier today, in fact, a report on the Twilighters fansite reported it would be Paul Weitz.

Many of the other names have been batted down. Bayona's name, on the other hand, has surfaced more in recent days as the man who could land the job, in what would mark a bold departure for the franchise.

If he does come aboard, the studio would have brought on a female coming-of-age girl director in Catherine Hardwicke for the first "Twilight" picture, a mainstream Hollywood comedy director in Chris Weitz for sequel "New Moon" and a genre maven for the third picture.

The shift would make sense on a number of levels -- "Eclipse," while continuing the romances and love triangles of previous books, does contain a mystery of unsolved murders that protags Bella and Edward seek to solve. (Notably, Bayona's debut "The Orphanage" also contained a plotline centering on children who had been killed under mysterious circumstances.) It also features battles between werewolves and vampires that could call for a practiced genre hand.

Bayona, for those who don't follow foreign horror directors, is a hot property -- the 33-year-old Spaniard who goes mainy by his last name has been championed by "Pan's Labyrinth" and "The Hobbit" director del Toro, who has produced and/or godfathered his work. Bayona received rave reviews for his Spanish-language "Orphanage,' the Picturehouse-released Gothic tale about childhood and loss that was rife with spooks. He's currently signed on to direct the dystopian thriller "Hater" for Universal.

That project was to mark his English-language debut. If he and Summit can make a deal work, he may have some vampires to contend with first.
Old 03-11-09, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hrm...this caught my eye with the now inclusion of Bayona...but why this project? I don't think I'll see it regardless unless it gets damn good reviews...
Old 03-12-09, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
hrm...this caught my eye with the now inclusion of Bayona...but why this project? I don't think I'll see it regardless unless it gets damn good reviews...
And now its official:
I can confirm that Summit Entertainment is telling Hollywood privately that Juan Antonio Bayona will direct Eclipse. It's a very out-of-the-box choice for the 3rd movie in the "Twilight Saga" series of Stephenie Meyer vampire novels being hurried to the big screen by the start-up studio. (I guess it doesn't matter that other sources tell me Bayona hasn't yet met Stephenie, huh?) Known as a horror wunderkjind and Guillermo Del Toro protege, the age 33 Bayona screened his Spanish language Gothic mystery El Orfanato (The Orphanage) to a 10-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. Eclipse is his English language debut. Chris Weitz has already replaced Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke on the sequel New Moon due in November. Eclipse is set for release June 30, 2010, and features battles between werewolves and vampires. Now the question is whether the Twilight fans and Stephenie Meyer will say "Olé".
Old 03-12-09, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is one hell of a jump from Hardwicke and Weitz. I don't know why they got Weitz. Did they even see The Golden Compass?
Old 03-12-09, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, actually. Of course, I didn't talk to anyone under the age of 16 about it, so I'm sure that audience enjoyed it. However, I know someone who thought the movie looked awful, went and saw it, didn't like it, but is still going to buy the dvd. So apparently some of the fans don't care how bad the movie is.
Old 03-13-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That is one hell of a jump from Hardwicke and Weitz. I don't know why they got Weitz. Did they even see The Golden Compass?
Weitz, unlike Hardwicke, actually has some talent.

I didn't see Twilight, but as history has told us time and time again, you NEVER release a sequel so close to the original or previous predecessor.

Twilight didn't get fond reviews from critics and fans alike. Maybe that's why they're taking Weitz and rushing him to do the sequel? To show fans that they have a good film inside of them? If Summit is unable to deliver a second film that is good, Eclipse is going to highly underperform.

See: Back to the Future Part II -> III, Matrix Reloaded -> Matrix Revolutions, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 -> 3. None are failures, but none captured the box office magic the prior films had.
Old 04-23-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

David Slade is the newest master vampire.

The "30 Days of Night" director will take a slightly less gory approach to the blood-sucking brood when he helms "Eclipse," the third installment of Stephenie Meyer's best-selling "Twilight" franchise. Summit Entertainment has just signed Slade to the project, which it plans to release June 30, 2010.

Melissa Rosenberg, who penned the adaptations of "Twilight" and its sequel, "New Moon," will also script "Eclipse."

The third book follows heroine Bella Swan as she nears graduation while trying to navigate the dangers of the ongoing vampire-werewolf struggle. Mysterious killings turn up around Seattle, a malicious vampire looks for revenge and Bella's romantic life with Edward becomes complicated.

"I am thrilled that David Slade will be directing 'Eclipse,' " said Meyer. "He's a visionary filmmaker who has so much to offer this franchise. From the beginning, we've been blessed with wonderful directorial talent for the 'Twilight' saga, and I'm so happy that 'Eclipse' will be carrying on with that tradition."

Summit president of production Erik Feig added: "Stephenie Meyer's 'Eclipse' is a muscular, rich, vivid book, and we at Summit looked long and hard for a director who could do it justice. We believe we have found that talent in David Slade, a director who has been able to create complex, visually arresting worlds."

Released in late 2008 with Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson starring and Catherine Hardwicke directing, "Twilight" has grossed more than $350 million worldwide. The second installment, "New Moon," is in production now with director Chris Weitz. It is set for release Nov. 20.

Slade, who is repped by WMA and Anonymous Content, directed the edgy thriller "Hard Candy" in 2005. The British music video director has also been attached to the Neil Gaiman adaptation "Neverwhere" for the Jim Henson Prods., and has been called in to meet on big-budget studio movies like "Wolverine" over the last 18 months.

Rosenberg is repped by UTA and 3 Arts.
Old 07-29-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Howard to replace Lefevre in 'Twilight'
Scheduling conflicts led to casting change
By Steven Zeitchik
July 28, 2009, 09:57 PM ET

"Eclipse" is pulling a switcheroo.

The third installment in Summit's "Twilight" franchise will see Rachelle Lefevre, who was to play the role of villain Victoria in the pic, replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard when shooting begins in Vancouver on Aug. 17.

Lefevre played the role in the first pic, "Twilight," and in the upcoming "New Moon."

The studio attributed the move to scheduling conflicts. The actress was recently cast in the indie drama "Barney's Version" opposite Dustin Hoffman, which also has an Aug. 17 start date, only several thousand kilometers east, in Quebec.

Spoiler:
Victoria attempts to kill heroine Bella (Kristen Stewart) as she avenges the death of her mate James.
Dallas Howard has starred in "Terminator Salvation" and Spider-Man 3" among more niche fare.
Old 07-29-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Howard to replace Lefevre in 'Twilight'
Scheduling conflicts led to casting change
By Steven Zeitchik
July 28, 2009, 09:57 PM ET

"Eclipse" is pulling a switcheroo.

The third installment in Summit's "Twilight" franchise will see Rachelle Lefevre, who was to play the role of villain Victoria in the pic, replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard when shooting begins in Vancouver on Aug. 17.

Lefevre played the role in the first pic, "Twilight," and in the upcoming "New Moon."

The studio attributed the move to scheduling conflicts. The actress was recently cast in the indie drama "Barney's Version" opposite Dustin Hoffman, which also has an Aug. 17 start date, only several thousand kilometers east, in Quebec.

Spoiler:
Victoria attempts to kill heroine Bella (Kristen Stewart) as she avenges the death of her mate James.
Dallas Howard has starred in "Terminator Salvation" and Spider-Man 3" among more niche fare.
IDK, something seems off about that. I know Maria Bello flew from Toronto to Portland (to Eugene) filming Assault on Precinct 13 and an indie flick (The Sisters) and back again a few times. Seems to me something could've been worked out...
Old 07-30-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Blood is starting to boil over in the Twilight zone.

Earlier today, the deposed Rachelle Lefevre revealed that she was "stunned" and "greatly saddened" by Summit Entertaniment's decision to recast Bryce Dallas Howard in the role of villainous Victoria in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.

And now Summit has fired back, saying the Canadian actress failed to inform the studio until July 20 that she was planning to be in Europe shooting an indie film when the Twilight gang was convening for rehearsals.

"We at Summit Entertainment are disappointed by Rachelle Lefevre's recent comments which attempt to make her career choices the fault of the Studio," reads a statement released by Summit to Access Hollywood late Wednesday.

"Her decision to discuss her version of the scheduling challenges publicly has forced the Studio to set the record straight and correct the facts."

Forget fangs. Those are claws we see.

"It was not until July 20th that Summit was first informed of Ms. Lefevre's commitment to Barney's Version, a commitment we have since been advised she accepted in early June," the statement continued. "Summit had acted in good faith that she would be available to fulfill her obligations both in terms of rehearsals and shooting availability for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. We feel that her choice to withhold her scheduling conflict information from us can be viewed as a lack of cooperative spirit which affected the entire production."

Lefevre, who appears in the second installment of the franchise, New Moon, said today that she only needed 10 days off to work on Barney's Version.

"Never did I fathom I would lose the role over a 10-day overlap," she said.

Believe us, neither did Twilight fans, who, despite Howard's decent thespian pedigree (not to mention her pale visage and fiery red hair) are up in arms over the casting switcheroo. And, sure enough, there's an online petition to get Lefevre reinstated.

But Summit maintains that Lefevre left 'em high and dry in their hour of need. Or was going to, anyway.

"Ms. Lefevre took a role in the other film that places her in Europe during the required rehearsal time, and at least ten days of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse's principal photography. This period is essential for both rehearsal time with the cast, and for filming at key locations that are only available during the initial part of production," Summit said.

"The fact remains that Ms. Lefevre's commitment to the other project—which she chose to withhold from Summit until the last possible moment—makes her unfortunately unavailable to perform the role of Victoria in [Eclipse]."

Meanwhile, a source told E! News that Summit could save a few (or more) bucks by recasting Lefevre's role, rather than giving her a promised pay raise for the third film.

The plot thickens. So far, Howard has remained mum on her upcoming role, perhaps figuring it's best to keep a low profile until this undead madness dies off, and then just show up for work in Vancouver looking pretty.

··· THEY SAID WHAT? Get today's most commented stories now at www.eonline.com
Old 07-30-09, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Gees. I loved her in "Life on a Stick"...but I'm alright with the recast.
Old 07-30-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
What was your sample size?

You mean, the average weight of the people he asked?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.