Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disinterest problem

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disinterest problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disinterest problem

Lately, whenever I watch any type of movie, unless I sike myself up about the movie beforehand, I get disinterested easily. Even if I kind of enjoy the movie, there's still this passing, barely there feeling. Like I'm just passing the time, instead of really trying to get into it. I don't know why I'm like this. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-13-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Disinterest problem

How old are you? Age has a lot to do with attention span and the ability to focus.
Old 01-13-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your tastes may be changing. Perhaps it's time to find new kinds of films, or if that fails, different ways of spending your time.
Old 01-13-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by finkpish
how old are you? Age has a lot to do with attention span and the ability to focus.
Old 01-13-09, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Lately, whenever I watch any type of movie, unless I sike myself up about the movie beforehand, I get disinterested easily.
Try "psyching" yourself up instead.
Old 01-13-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be all of those Hollywood remakes. I don't blame you .......
Old 01-13-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Your tastes may be changing. Perhaps it's time to find new kinds of films, or if that fails, different ways of spending your time.
this.
Old 01-13-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

What are the names of some of these movies that you are disinterested in? A lot of movies, especially the blockbuster-please-the-generic-audience-member type, are the same old, same old--a sketchy plot, underdeveloped characters, and some glitzy special effects.

Are movies your main interest?
Old 01-13-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

+1

It could also be just an ADD type of thing. In the world now, we are used to 30 seconds youtube clips for enjoyment.. Devoting 90+ mins to a movie can be tricky.

Also, I've found that this happens sometimes when I watch older movies that I enjoyed from my childhood. i remember having such a fondness for them and then I watch them and either the plot was just stupid or they just don't hold up after 20 years
Old 01-13-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I got a similar issue with RedTube... after about a minute or so all of the sudden the movie gets really boring. No idea why...
Old 01-13-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 01-13-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Movie watching as a habit ... just move on for a while, try something creative perhaps? Or read a book? Exercise? (Like I should talk ...)
Old 01-13-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

this.

A third from me - I recently had this problem although I am open to many different genres, I found myself not wanting to watch anything as of late - almost even skipped out on the Dark Knight.

For me, I think I've just raised the bar to high and there's no going back but the good thing is that I don't expect perfection - to certain extents, you'll never find a film that you agree with one hundred percent.

But with that said, you may just not be into films that much anymore
Old 01-14-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone for the comments
Old 01-14-09, 11:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

After you see enough films (especially mainstream Hollywood stuff), nothing surprises or excites you any more. It's very rare to see a novel storyline, characterization, plot twist, special effect, etc. in these types of films.
Old 01-14-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, movie watching is something I have to be in the mood for. If I'm not in the mood but I find myself watching a movie anyway I will get bored quickly and turn it off. It doesn't matter what the movie is, if I'm not in a movie watching mood I won't get into it.

Maybe you're forcing yourself to watch movies when you really want to be doing something else?
Old 01-14-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
After you see enough films (especially mainstream Hollywood stuff), nothing surprises or excites you any more. It's very rare to see a novel storyline, characterization, plot twist, special effect, etc. in these types of films.
This.

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Movie watching as a habit ... just move on for a while, try something creative perhaps? Or read a book? Exercise?
And this.

It is possible to see too many films and and some point to get jaded. I sometimes go thru streaks where my reaction to just about every film is "meh...", even good films. I just take a break and/or rewatch some favorites including some "guilty pleasures".
Old 01-14-09, 01:31 PM

I'm in a similiar position as the OP. My brain has been nearly fried over the past few years with YouTube, reality shows (hello, American Idol and Dancing With the Stars!), the same 50 songs playing on popular radio--lots of things contribute to this. I'm trying to make a self-aware effort to not get caught up with disposable entertainment so much. The here today, gone tomorrow stuff isn't worth my time. As Yakuza said, our interests changes as we grow older and more in-tune with quality pursuits. Maybe start out with listening to NPR for 30 minutes a day while driving to work (if you drive). It helps me slow down my mind and lets me think about things that are actually important.
Old 01-14-09, 01:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You are ...

dying.
Old 01-14-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

The town I grew up in finally got a theater in 1995, just as I entered my junior year of high school. Frequently, my friends and I would go catch the last matinee showing of the day (the cut-off was 6:00 PM) on Friday night, loiter around town for a while and then go rent three VHS tapes for a trilogy that would keep us up all night. Sometimes they were themed to go along with whatever we saw in the theater (for instance, we would rent three films all starring an actor that was in what we saw in the theater).

Regardless, when I graduated and was working full time, I found myself almost entirely uninterested in movies. It seemed that spare time was precious, and I came to resent being asked to sit in a darkened theater, quietly, for two hours--especially over the summer. I had seen so many movies that they lost their luster, and I had other things I'd rather do. When I became a young adult of drinking age, I discovered that many of my friends (including my wife and brother) would prefer to watch a movie while drunk. For me, this was the quickest buzz kill (I much prefer music, because it changes quickly and you can keep talking without people getting angry).

Eventually, though, I got to a point where movies became interesting to me again. Maybe this has to do with having gotten away from them for a while, maybe it's because I watch very little TV anymore, maybe it's because of global warming. Whatever the reason, I understand what the OP is going through because I've gone through it myself. Best of luck to him and anyone else experiencing this malaise.
Old 01-14-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by iamiam
You are ...

dying.
Who isn't?
Old 01-14-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds to me like you may need a break from movie watching for a while - or try a new genre that you've never seen before to shake yourself up. I've gone through these lulls myself, but they passed over time.
Old 01-14-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

And certainly don't get stuck in a rut, as others have said. I'm so sickin' frick of horror films ... yet I just ... can't ... stop ....