Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disrespected films that don't deserve so much hate?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disrespected films that don't deserve so much hate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Moleman1138
Adding:
-Indy 4
First time I saw it I hated it, but it grew on me. I even like nuke the fridge.
I thought the nuke the fridge was a much better sequence than the ravenous ants.
Old 12-26-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rewatched TPM a little while ago and thought that it's aged terribly. Yeah, Duel of the Fates is still great, having Liam Neeson was great, but the pace is very slow, the pod race is a bore, the rest of the cast looks confused on screen, and the main plot is not at all engaging.

I also think the SFX look extremely dated now. Of the three, for some reason this movie's SFX are very poorly done.
Old 12-27-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonic
The Chronicles of Riddick
Yep, I love this one. I think a lot of the hate stems from how different it is from Pitch Black, but I don't care.

I enjoy Fantastic Four as well, for what it is.
Old 12-27-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Freddy Got Fingered
The Spirit
3000 Miles to Graceland
Cool World
Cruel Intentions (all 3 movies)
The Mangler
Norbit
Old 12-27-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
I rewatched TPM a little while ago and thought that it's aged terribly. Yeah, Duel of the Fates is still great, having Liam Neeson was great, but the pace is very slow, the pod race is a bore, the rest of the cast looks confused on screen, and the main plot is not at all engaging.

I also think the SFX look extremely dated now. Of the three, for some reason this movie's SFX are very poorly done.
The effects might look bad due to the large levels of edge enhancement on the DVD.
Old 12-27-08, 02:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indy 4, all the way.

I STILL don't get any of the hate. What a fantastic, fun movie.
Old 12-27-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts
Surviving Christmas- having just watched this on tv, everyone seems to hate it but I found it to be very funny.
Old 12-27-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
The effects might look bad due to the large levels of edge enhancement on the DVD.
I thought that was the Force around everything

Actually, I watched it on Spike or one of those kinds of channels when they had one of those Star Wars marathons on.

Thing is, the second one looks really, really good, and it's only a couple of years later.
Old 12-27-08, 04:07 PM

bad boys 2. it's bays only good film
Old 12-27-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
There are some films that have gotten so much hate, but as bad as they may be, they certainly don't deserve so much hate or negative attention. If anything, these films are basically just "fair films" that have gotten massive amounts of hatred due to bloated production costs, high expectations, or the fame around their directors. (I still don't understand why people's expectations think an expensive movie is going to be better than a cheaper film).

- Gangs of New York
- Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions
- Quantom of Solace
- Waterworld
- Dick Tracy
- Hook
- Heaven's Gate
- Blair Witch Project
- Superman Returns
- Star Wars prequels
- The Golden Compass
- Eragon

There is no way that I can put Pearl Harbor or 10,000,000 BC on that list!...and I wonder where Battlefield Earth stands now (I thought it wasn't that bad when I saw it once in the theater).

Can anyone think of any more of these types of films?

To be honest I do not think that the Star Wars prequels get ENOUGH critisizm. They are totally horrible movies with ludicrous storylines that are not even faithful to themselves. Even in he third one, the turning of Anakin was ludicrous, the characters actions completely unbelievable and the movie just sucked. I love the original ones, but the prequels were INCREDIBLY BAD.
Old 12-27-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
To be honest I do not think that the Star Wars prequels get ENOUGH critisizm. They are totally horrible movies with ludicrous storylines that are not even faithful to themselves. Even in he third one, the turning of Anakin was ludicrous, the characters actions completely unbelievable and the movie just sucked. I love the original ones, but the prequels were INCREDIBLY BAD.
I agree with you, but from as movies for kids, they aren't that bad. But for adults, these films are just awful...

Here's another film that isn't that bad:

I thought the movie was absolutely boring when I saw it in the theaters, but I just watched it today (bought it used for 3 dollars), and strangely, it's not bad at all. It's a pretty good movie representation of the cartoon that I love. If it totally followed the cartoon exactly, it would just be too weird. I think I like action movies pre-Bourne 2 and 3/Quantum of Solace now - I give extra points for any action films that aren't as quick cut/awfully edited as those films. So maybe without the existance of those awfully directed/edited films, I can find a new appreciation for action films between the years of Matrix and Bournes/Quantum...
Old 12-27-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Having just seen it again, Last Man Standing is one such film; it's an emotional downer, but it's got some great camera work.
Old 12-28-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll throw AI into the ring.
Old 12-28-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah, Aeon Flux. Rented it when it came out cause I worked at Blockbuster and found it enjoyable. I know it was cut from the director's vision, maybe if her upcoming movie Jennifer's Body is a hit maybe they'll release a "Director's Cut" DVD.

But then again, is that worth hoping a horrible-sounding Diablo Cody written Megan Fox starring turd is a hit?
Old 12-28-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Fantastic Four-If you're willing to give it a 2nd look, please seek out the Extended Edition.
Old 12-28-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I agree with you, but from as movies for kids, they aren't that bad. But for adults, these films are just awful...
I hate when people make this argument -- just because something is intended for kids doesn't mean it has to be mind-numbingly bad. The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island and The Little Lame Prince are children's books, but they're also among the great books of Western literature. There's no reason the Star Wars prequels couldn't've been as good as The Iron Giant or Watership Down -- but Lucas had such contempt for his audience that he thought Jar Jar and a kid with no talent yelling "Yippie" in the most unconvincing fashion possible, would be good enough.
Old 12-28-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Spirit is quickly climbing this list. It's no classic, but it doesn't deserve a fraction of the venom that's being flung at it. It's self-indulgent, a mangling of the source material, and all over the map, but it is far from a crime against humanity, which is what I keep seeing people exaggerate it to. The third Mummy sequel runs rings (of awfulness) around The Spirit with one hand tied behind its back.
Old 12-28-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I hate when people make this argument -- just because something is intended for kids doesn't mean it has to be mind-numbingly bad. The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island and The Little Lame Prince are children's books, but they're also among the great books of Western literature. There's no reason the Star Wars prequels couldn't've been as good as The Iron Giant or Watership Down -- but Lucas had such contempt for his audience that he thought Jar Jar and a kid with no talent yelling "Yippie" in the most unconvincing fashion possible, would be good enough.
It's true - there is no reason to ever make crappy movies, but it's amazing how kids can appreciate crappy movies more than adults...I just don't understand why people think Revenge of the Sith is the better one (Attack of the Clones is the best flowing prequel). Just because ROS is labeled as "dark", people love it...Watch the Star Wars cartoons, which are so much better than those prequels, all because Lucas isn't directing..

I made the mistake of watching Watership Down when I was a kid - I had nightmares from it...I wouldn't show that to a kid...
Old 12-28-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

'Ice Castles'.

This is a moving masterpiece with excellent acting all around, a plot that is 'real' and not predictable, and a hell of theme song.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 12-28-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Terry Gilliam's Tideland

Excellent film
Old 12-28-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Agreed. TPM has aged terribly. I can't even watch it beginning-to-end anymore. I still like Episode II. It's the only decent entry in the prequel trilogy. But since I hate ROTS so much for its unrealized potential and the horrible handling of Anakin's turn, the 2nd prequel has been rendered meaningless. Hell, Lucas never even bothered resolving Obi-Wan's storyline in that movie with the erasing of Kamino from the Jedi archives(and don't tell me it was addressed in a book; that's a weak excuse).

As for my list of films that deserve more respect:

Terminator 3 - decent sequel with a killer truck chase and a ballsy ending
Licence To Kill - the general public seems to dismiss this movie as crap
Dick Tracy - other than Madonna's terrible performance, this is a great flick
Batman Forever - decent entry that could've been much better had it not been butchered in the editing room
Meet Joe Black - way too long, but I still love this movie
Eyes Wide Shut - I don't know why people rag on it so much; it's vintage Kubrick
The Thin Red Line - a love it or hate it movie that I personally love
Old 12-28-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Eyes Wide Shut - I don't know why people rag on it so much; it's vintage Kubrick
The Thin Red Line - a love it or hate it movie that I personally love
Old 12-28-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On a more serious note.

'Sorcerer' was a good movie. I appreciate it more with repeat viewings. It was panned as a failure by critics and the audience at the time.

I understand the reaction to the 'audacity', I guess, of taking Clouzot's masterpiece down 'off the shelf'. But it's a good movie that stands on it's own. I don't think Friedkin was trying to match 'Wages', just make more of an homage to a film that had inspired and affected him as a film maker.
Old 12-28-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

David Cronenberg's Crash
Old 12-28-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
David Cronenberg's Crash
I thought people liked that movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.