Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney bails on next "Narnia" movie!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney bails on next "Narnia" movie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw prince Caspian last night. It wasnt horrible but wasnt memorable at all. Its werd watching a $200 million movie and seeing the best 2 actors in it are both midgets.
Also does Prince Caspian have the longest end credit sequence in film history? The end Credits ran over 1 minutes long! And it even had opening credits! Thats pretty amazing considering most films that have opening credits usually only have end credit sequences lasting not more than 6 or 7 minutes.
Old 12-30-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I saw prince Caspian last night. It wasnt horrible but wasnt memorable at all. Its werd watching a $200 million movie and seeing the best 2 actors in it are both midgets.
Also does Prince Caspian have the longest end credit sequence in film history? The end Credits ran over 1 minutes long! And it even had opening credits! Thats pretty amazing considering most films that have opening credits usually only have end credit sequences lasting not more than 6 or 7 minutes.
Over 1 minutes Long!!!!!
Old 12-30-08, 07:37 PM
Banned

Excuse me I meant 12 minutes long...
Old 12-30-08, 07:40 PM

The LOTR extended cuts must have longer ones, because they thank everyone in the fan club.

I'm not surprised by this move. The Narnia films were by no means bad, but they cost 200 million clams and were instantly forgettable. I read the books and I can't even remember what happens because of the movies.
Old 12-30-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Excuse me I meant 12 minutes long...
The theatrical cut of Superhero Movie has 16 minutes of end credits (much of that goes to outtakes/deleted scenes). Minus the very, very long opening credits, the whole thing barely runs over an hour.
Old 12-31-08, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
interesting decision on Disney's part since, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is much better than Prince Caspian IMO.
Old 01-08-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Disney bails on next "Narnia" movie!

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
I'm not surprised by this move. The Narnia films were by no means bad, but they cost 200 million clams and were instantly forgettable. I read the books and I can't even remember what happens because of the movies.
It seems like an eternity since I read the books. In fact, I've been meaning to pick up the set, again, as the set I once had got badly water damaged while in storage.

However, I remember the books so vividly, and I can say that the movies just haven't done the books justice.
Old 01-08-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
I'm not surprised by this move. The Narnia films were by no means bad, but they cost 200 million clams and were instantly forgettable.
They may have cost $200 million to make, but the first one grossed about $745 million worldwide, and Prince Caspian made about $420 million worldwide. And that's not including home video and merchandising. Seems like it would be worth making another one to me.
Old 01-08-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

^ I agree. Make the third one, release it in the winter and if that fails, then part ways with the franchise.
Old 01-08-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
The key players of the second installment, "Prince Caspian" -- Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell -- were to return for the third film.
Eh...?
Old 01-08-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That confused me too, pinata242. I've never read the books but the second movie made it seem as if the two older children weren't coming back for a third. Unless it just meant they wouldn't return to Narnia but would appear in the England scenes.
Old 01-08-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Probably a typo. Susan isn't in Dawn Treader and Popplewell isn't listed on IMDB as being in the [defunct] movie either.
Old 01-08-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure neither Peter nor Susan were even in DT, but they might have been mentioned in the England scenes. That being said, there's no reason why a movie version wouldn't try to incorporate them for the "benefit" of the audience.

But it was clear in the movie PC that they were not welcome in Narnia again
Old 01-08-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Peter & Susan are definitely NOT in "Dawn Treader"...

... but EVERYONE shows up in "The Last Battle"...

... except for Susan....

Old 01-08-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Peter & Susan are definitely NOT in "Dawn Treader"...

... but EVERYONE shows up in "The Last Battle"...

... except for Susan....

Why is Susan MIA?

Do we ever see adult Lucy ever again? Rachael Henley (Georgie Henley's sister) is very pretty.
Old 01-09-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Why is Susan MIA?

Do we ever see adult Lucy ever again? Rachael Henley (Georgie Henley's sister) is very pretty.
Spoilers for The Last Battle...

Spoiler:
Everybody dies. The kids, the Narnians, every character or creature who was ever in Narnia dies... except for Susan. It is mentioned that she is more into "boys" and "lipstick" and has long since stopped being a "Friend of Narnia", i.e. she has lost her faith... which she is gonna need, because a train accident not only kills her sister and two brothers, but both her parents as well, and they all get whisked off to Narnia first and then to Heaven with Aslan, who finally transforms into Christ on the last page.

Old 01-09-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Why is Susan MIA?
She starts to wear lipstick, which means she turns into a godless slut not worthy to enter Narnia.

If you think that's bad, you've never read Lewis's That Hideous Strength in which evil Satan worshiping atheist scientists try to take over the world.
Old 01-29-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One month after Disney decided to pull the plug on co-financing the third movie in Walden Media's "Chronicles of Narnia" series, Walden has found a new partner in 20th Century Fox.

Fox and Walden are still working out budget and script issues, but the hope is to shoot the film at the end of summer for a holiday 2010 release through the Fox Walden label.

Fox seems to be an ideal fit for the "Narnia" books given that it's been looking for a family-friendly ever since "Eragon" failed to catch on with audiences and died after one installment.

The film will likely be budgeted at $140 million, which is considerably less than the $215 million or so spent on last year's "Prince Caspian." Still, "Caspian," which is considered the least commercially appealing of the seven CS Lewis "Narnia" novels, ranked No. 10 in global box office performance last year. "Dawn Treader" is considered to be a more family film-friendly book, and the goal is to get back to the magical aspects present in the first "Narnia" pic but mostly absent from "Prince Caspian."

Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley are reprising their roles as Caspian, Edmund and Lucy, respectively. New to the production is Will Poulter (Son of Rambo), who will portray Eustace Clarence Scrubb. Pic is being directed by Michael Apted.
Looks like FOX picked it up.
Old 01-29-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh. Probably the WORST studio that could have picked it up. I was hoping for Universal.
Old 01-29-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Great news... and Caspian ranked 10th in the world last year? That's amazing. Interesting that Fox has already moved VotDT back to Christmas.

Originally Posted by Damed
Ugh. Probably the WORST studio that could have picked it up. I was hoping for Universal.
Beggars can't be choosers.
Old 01-29-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Damed

Fox has a relationship with Walden Media - it actualy makes sense.

Remember, Walden is making the movie - Fox is just bankrolling and marketing it. The movie SHOULD essentially have the same "look" as the previous films.
Old 01-29-09, 11:31 AM
Banned

So we can still expect these movies to run nearly 2 and a half hours instead of Fox's mandatory 90 minute run time?
Old 01-29-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds good to me, glad things are back on track. Imo Narnia needs to change things up, different tone, style, etc.. kinda like Harry Potter did after the first two.

Last edited by Artman; 01-29-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So we can still expect these movies to run nearly 2 and a half hours instead of Fox's mandatory 90 minute run time?
At least we don't have to worry about them cutting it to get a PG-13 rating.
Old 01-29-09, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Fox has a relationship with Walden Media - it actualy makes sense.

Remember, Walden is making the movie - Fox is just bankrolling and marketing it. The movie SHOULD essentially have the same "look" as the previous films.

I agree that Walden Media going with Fox was a no-brainer, but I do think that Fox's control over the purse-strings could have a major impact on the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.