DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Will Smith: I Just Don't Get Him (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/545989-will-smith-i-just-dont-get-him.html)

Double_Oh_7 12-18-08 08:33 AM

Will Smith: I Just Don't Get Him

There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.

Ronnie Dobbs 12-18-08 08:35 AM

I'd say the same about Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, and Reece Witherspoon. Actually most celebs nowadays.

Giantrobo 12-18-08 09:04 AM

I don't care for him all that much, but I'll admit that I've generally liked almost all the films I've seen of his. I also get why many like this man the way they do.

He comes across as a "nice guy" who's not a troublemaker, he's scandal and controversy free, and he seems like a decent role model. His acting is "pretty good" even if it's the same character in almost every damn role; but mind you, this works in his favor since many like what he does and how he does it.

BullGooseLoony 12-18-08 09:22 AM

I have to admit, I think he's come a very long way as an actor. I never really watched "Fresh Prince" and thought he was pretty much doing the same schtick in the Bad Boys and Men in Black films, as well as ID4 and Wild Wild West, but he's always been charming.

I think the real changes for me came with Hitch, where he actually held his own as a romanctic leading man, equally balancing humor and vulnerbility. His next two performances, in The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend, just flat out blew me away. His performance as a struggling father was just heartbreaking, and even though this is going to sound lame, when he cried at the end, I did too.

I Am Legend was also very, very intense. I'm not an acting aficianado by any means, but I think his scene in the video store, when he's finally saying "hi" is powerful on so many levels. And even though his next movie, Hancock was a disappointment, he managed to pull off being an asshole really well.

What it really comes down to is that the guy knows how to pick a part. He knows how to find strongly developed characters in good screenplays, so even though he isn't the best actor in the world, his improving skills combine with a good role to deliver something really important.

As it would happen, I have ZERO interest in this new movie, but I'm sure Smith will deliver.

fumanstan 12-18-08 09:33 AM

I think we had a thread about this a year ago. :p

I don't see what's obnoxious about him. Like Giantrobo said, he just comes across as a really nice down to earth guy without any quirks or controversies around him (Scientology rumors not withstanding).

I've loved watching him since Fresh Prince... I think he's a really funny guy.

Giles 12-18-08 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9141065)
I have to admit, I think he's come a very long way as an actor. I never really watched "Fresh Prince" and thought he was pretty much doing the same schtick in the Bad Boys and Men in Black films, as well as ID4 and Wild Wild West, but he's always been charming.

I think the real changes for me came with Hitch, where he actually held his own as a romanctic leading man, equally balancing humor and vulnerbility. His next two performances, in The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend, just flat out blew me away. His performance as a struggling father was just heartbreaking, and even though this is going to sound lame, when he cried at the end, I did too.

I Am Legend was also very, very intense. I'm not an acting aficianado by any means, but I think his scene in the video store, when he's finally saying "hi" is powerful on so many levels. And even though his next movie, Hancock was a disappointment, he managed to pull off being an asshole really well.

What it really comes down to is that the guy knows how to pick a part. He knows how to find strongly developed characters in good screenplays, so even though he isn't the best actor in the world, his improving skills combine with a good role to deliver something really important.

As it would happen, I have ZERO interest in this new movie, but I'm sure Smith will deliver.

let alone his first movie 'Six Degrees of Seperation' which cemented the fact that he COULD act, and not just do comedy from his tv work.

Geofferson 12-18-08 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9141026)
He comes across as a "nice guy" who's not a troublemaker, he's scandal and controversy free, and he seems like a decent role model. His acting is "pretty good" even if it's the same character in almost every damn role; but mind you, this works in his favor since many like what he does and how he does it.

Agreed -- I briefly met him last weekend (he was in town to promote Seven Pounds). His "nice guy" persona carried-over into real life. Was pleasantly surprised.

DVD Josh 12-18-08 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9140961)
There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.

Obnoxious? This thread is way more obnoxious than Smith will ever be. Dull maybe. Obnoxious? You must have him confused with someone else. I'm not even a fan of the guy either.

al_bundy 12-18-08 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9141065)

back in the fresh prince days he did a movie called The Six Degrees of Separation which was based on a Broadway play. His first real acting role. He played a gay homeless man who snuck into people's homes to sleep by pretending to be their kids' harvard classmate

Seantn 12-18-08 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9141213)
Obnoxious? This thread is way more obnoxious than Smith will ever be. Dull maybe. Obnoxious? You must have him confused with someone else. I'm not even a fan of the guy either.

1. He's not in the tabloids for doing stupid things
2. He seems like a nice guy.
3. He appears to have a stable family life
4. He's in successful movies.

How dare he!!!

DeFan 12-18-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9141108)
let alone his first movie 'Six Degrees of Seperation' which cemented the fact that he COULD act, and not just do comedy from his tv work.

I was surprised at how good he was in this. I enjoy his "likable wise-guy" film persona too.

Hokeyboy 12-18-08 11:47 AM

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/8207/0/Envy.ashx

The Infidel 12-18-08 12:03 PM

Try this thread about the same thing. Maybe you can find the answer you're looking for there.

Will Smith - I can't stand this egomaniac, am I alone?

Brack 12-18-08 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9141392)

How dare he!!!

:lol:

If Smith can stay away from sequels and rip-offs of his own movies, I don't see him making too many bad choices.

riley_dude 12-18-08 12:24 PM

I dont get his appeal either. Same with Adam Sandler or Jack Black.

Jaymole 12-18-08 12:34 PM

Not a big fan of him, mainly beacuse the image cemented in my mind is his wise-cracking irritating turns in movies such as Independence Day. Since I have no interest in most of the mainstream movies he makes, it's not a big problem for me.

dhmac 12-18-08 12:38 PM

Aww, hell no, I don't get his appeal!

Shannon Nutt 12-18-08 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9141213)

Yeah, I think the OP has confused Will Smith with Eddie Murphy. ;)

Yeti4623 12-18-08 12:49 PM

I wish he would do more R-rated movies. Tom Cruise may be a mega superstar, too, but he does a lot of R-rated movies.

Tommy_Harn 12-18-08 01:02 PM

I get the feeling he is pretty arrogant. I remember he did a music video where a flat-bed drove through Philadelphia, and the song was about how great he is and how much money he makes. That seemed like a douche move.

Of course, releasing horrible, myopic, self-centered music is what being a rapper is all about . . . and that's where he got his start. He's put forth a couple of solid performances on screen, but nothing too special. With that said, as many have mentioned, we could rattle off dozens of celebrities far more obnoxious than Will Smith.

devilshalo 12-18-08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9141392)
5. He gets his kid to be the new Karate Kid.

How dare he!!!

Bluelitespecial 12-18-08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti4623 (Post 9141617)
I wish he would do more R-rated movies. Tom Cruise may be a mega superstar, too, but he does a lot of R-rated movies.

I would love to see Bad Boys 3.

UAIOE 12-18-08 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 9141585)
Aww, hell no, I don't get his appeal!

I came in here to say this! :lol:

LickTheABCs 12-18-08 01:51 PM

Bad Boys II is EPIC.

He gets my respect for that, and that alone.

Giantrobo 12-18-08 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 9141491)
Try this thread about the same thing. Maybe you can find the answer you're looking for there.

Will Smith - I can't stand this egomaniac, am I alone?

< Consistent answers in both threads. :up: