Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Will Smith: I Just Don't Get Him

Old 12-18-08, 08:33 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,017
Will Smith: I Just Don't Get Him

There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.
Double_Oh_7 is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 08:35 AM
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
I'd say the same about Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, and Reece Witherspoon. Actually most celebs nowadays.
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 09:04 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,618
I don't care for him all that much, but I'll admit that I've generally liked almost all the films I've seen of his. I also get why many like this man the way they do.

He comes across as a "nice guy" who's not a troublemaker, he's scandal and controversy free, and he seems like a decent role model. His acting is "pretty good" even if it's the same character in almost every damn role; but mind you, this works in his favor since many like what he does and how he does it.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 09:22 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,466
I have to admit, I think he's come a very long way as an actor. I never really watched "Fresh Prince" and thought he was pretty much doing the same schtick in the Bad Boys and Men in Black films, as well as ID4 and Wild Wild West, but he's always been charming.

I think the real changes for me came with Hitch, where he actually held his own as a romanctic leading man, equally balancing humor and vulnerbility. His next two performances, in The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend, just flat out blew me away. His performance as a struggling father was just heartbreaking, and even though this is going to sound lame, when he cried at the end, I did too.

I Am Legend was also very, very intense. I'm not an acting aficianado by any means, but I think his scene in the video store, when he's finally saying "hi" is powerful on so many levels. And even though his next movie, Hancock was a disappointment, he managed to pull off being an asshole really well.

What it really comes down to is that the guy knows how to pick a part. He knows how to find strongly developed characters in good screenplays, so even though he isn't the best actor in the world, his improving skills combine with a good role to deliver something really important.

As it would happen, I have ZERO interest in this new movie, but I'm sure Smith will deliver.
BullGooseLoony is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 09:33 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
I think we had a thread about this a year ago.

I don't see what's obnoxious about him. Like Giantrobo said, he just comes across as a really nice down to earth guy without any quirks or controversies around him (Scientology rumors not withstanding).

I've loved watching him since Fresh Prince... I think he's a really funny guy.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 09:36 AM
  #6  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,477
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
I have to admit, I think he's come a very long way as an actor. I never really watched "Fresh Prince" and thought he was pretty much doing the same schtick in the Bad Boys and Men in Black films, as well as ID4 and Wild Wild West, but he's always been charming.

I think the real changes for me came with Hitch, where he actually held his own as a romanctic leading man, equally balancing humor and vulnerbility. His next two performances, in The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend, just flat out blew me away. His performance as a struggling father was just heartbreaking, and even though this is going to sound lame, when he cried at the end, I did too.

I Am Legend was also very, very intense. I'm not an acting aficianado by any means, but I think his scene in the video store, when he's finally saying "hi" is powerful on so many levels. And even though his next movie, Hancock was a disappointment, he managed to pull off being an asshole really well.

What it really comes down to is that the guy knows how to pick a part. He knows how to find strongly developed characters in good screenplays, so even though he isn't the best actor in the world, his improving skills combine with a good role to deliver something really important.

As it would happen, I have ZERO interest in this new movie, but I'm sure Smith will deliver.
let alone his first movie 'Six Degrees of Seperation' which cemented the fact that he COULD act, and not just do comedy from his tv work.
Giles is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 09:59 AM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,098
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
He comes across as a "nice guy" who's not a troublemaker, he's scandal and controversy free, and he seems like a decent role model. His acting is "pretty good" even if it's the same character in almost every damn role; but mind you, this works in his favor since many like what he does and how he does it.
Agreed -- I briefly met him last weekend (he was in town to promote Seven Pounds). His "nice guy" persona carried-over into real life. Was pleasantly surprised.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 10:18 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.
Obnoxious? This thread is way more obnoxious than Smith will ever be. Dull maybe. Obnoxious? You must have him confused with someone else. I'm not even a fan of the guy either.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 11:00 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
I have to admit, I think he's come a very long way as an actor. I never really watched "Fresh Prince" and thought he was pretty much doing the same schtick in the Bad Boys and Men in Black films, as well as ID4 and Wild Wild West, but he's always been charming.

I think the real changes for me came with Hitch, where he actually held his own as a romanctic leading man, equally balancing humor and vulnerbility. His next two performances, in The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend, just flat out blew me away. His performance as a struggling father was just heartbreaking, and even though this is going to sound lame, when he cried at the end, I did too.

I Am Legend was also very, very intense. I'm not an acting aficianado by any means, but I think his scene in the video store, when he's finally saying "hi" is powerful on so many levels. And even though his next movie, Hancock was a disappointment, he managed to pull off being an asshole really well.

What it really comes down to is that the guy knows how to pick a part. He knows how to find strongly developed characters in good screenplays, so even though he isn't the best actor in the world, his improving skills combine with a good role to deliver something really important.

As it would happen, I have ZERO interest in this new movie, but I'm sure Smith will deliver.
back in the fresh prince days he did a movie called The Six Degrees of Separation which was based on a Broadway play. His first real acting role. He played a gay homeless man who snuck into people's homes to sleep by pretending to be their kids' harvard classmate
al_bundy is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 11:26 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Obnoxious? This thread is way more obnoxious than Smith will ever be. Dull maybe. Obnoxious? You must have him confused with someone else. I'm not even a fan of the guy either.
1. He's not in the tabloids for doing stupid things
2. He seems like a nice guy.
3. He appears to have a stable family life
4. He's in successful movies.

How dare he!!!
Seantn is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 11:28 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 275
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
let alone his first movie 'Six Degrees of Seperation' which cemented the fact that he COULD act, and not just do comedy from his tv work.
I was surprised at how good he was in this. I enjoy his "likable wise-guy" film persona too.
DeFan is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 11:47 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,850
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:03 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,359
Try this thread about the same thing. Maybe you can find the answer you're looking for there.

Will Smith - I can't stand this egomaniac, am I alone?
The Infidel is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:07 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 9,504
Originally Posted by Seantn View Post
1. He's not in the tabloids for doing stupid things
2. He seems like a nice guy.
3. He appears to have a stable family life
4. He's in successful movies.

How dare he!!!



If Smith can stay away from sequels and rip-offs of his own movies, I don't see him making too many bad choices.
Brack is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:24 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,420
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
There is really only one celebrity whose appeal baffles me and that is Will Smith. I don't know... is it just me? Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him.

I dont get his appeal either. Same with Adam Sandler or Jack Black.
riley_dude is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:34 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,142
Not a big fan of him, mainly beacuse the image cemented in my mind is his wise-cracking irritating turns in movies such as Independence Day. Since I have no interest in most of the mainstream movies he makes, it's not a big problem for me.
Jaymole is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:38 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 6,916
Aww, hell no, I don't get his appeal!

.
dhmac is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:44 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,965
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Obnoxious? This thread is way more obnoxious than Smith will ever be. Dull maybe. Obnoxious? You must have him confused with someone else. I'm not even a fan of the guy either.

Yeah, I think the OP has confused Will Smith with Eddie Murphy.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 12:49 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,077
I wish he would do more R-rated movies. Tom Cruise may be a mega superstar, too, but he does a lot of R-rated movies.
Yeti4623 is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 01:02 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,196
I get the feeling he is pretty arrogant. I remember he did a music video where a flat-bed drove through Philadelphia, and the song was about how great he is and how much money he makes. That seemed like a douche move.

Of course, releasing horrible, myopic, self-centered music is what being a rapper is all about . . . and that's where he got his start. He's put forth a couple of solid performances on screen, but nothing too special. With that said, as many have mentioned, we could rattle off dozens of celebrities far more obnoxious than Will Smith.
Tommy_Harn is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 01:40 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,059
Originally Posted by Seantn View Post
1. He's not in the tabloids for doing stupid things
2. He seems like a nice guy.
3. He appears to have a stable family life
4. He's in successful movies.
5. He gets his kid to be the new Karate Kid.

How dare he!!!
devilshalo is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 01:41 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,258
Originally Posted by Yeti4623 View Post
I wish he would do more R-rated movies. Tom Cruise may be a mega superstar, too, but he does a lot of R-rated movies.
I would love to see Bad Boys 3.
Bluelitespecial is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 01:45 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Aww, hell no, I don't get his appeal!

.

I came in here to say this!
UAIOE is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 01:51 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Bad Boys II is EPIC.

He gets my respect for that, and that alone.
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 02:03 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,618
Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Try this thread about the same thing. Maybe you can find the answer you're looking for there.

Will Smith - I can't stand this egomaniac, am I alone?


< Consistent answers in both threads.
Giantrobo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.