Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yes Man (Carrey, 2008) Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rate!
0%
12.50%
31.25%
0%
6.25%
6.25%
I'm going to wait for DVD.
6.25%
I'm never going to watch this movie.
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a preview screening of it and just typed up a full review: http://thefilmstage.blogspot.com/200...an-review.html

Although Jim Carrey’s new comedy, Yes Man, seems like a cookie cutter redux of his 1997 hit Liar Liar, there is more personality than expected in this formulaic, but enjoyable movie.
6 out of 10
Old 12-19-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jim Carrey is back in "Yes Man" where his down-on-his-luck character Carl gets a jolt of optimism and is empowered to literally say "Yes" to any and all offers or requests. Of course, funny hijinks ensue, but the plot meanders quite a bit, and the pitfalls and advantages of being a "Yes Man" are illustrated with short segments loosely tied together by a chance meeting between Carl and a free spirited lass, Alison, and their unlikely but blossoming romance.

I liked the chemistry between Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel, though the supporting cast is pretty average, with little to do but be plot devices for Carl's "Yes Man" adventures. There are some good laughs, just not big ones (well, maybe there is at least one, but it's better that you see it, than for me to ruin it, I suppose). So, overall a thoroughly average comedy, but it makes for a breezy matinee viewing if you're bored over the holidays.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 12-21-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts
Boy, this movie is obviously getting a ton of responses! Mods, can we have a part 2?

...Seriously, though, Carrey is looking really old to me lately. All them funny faces are making him wrinkly.
Old 12-22-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was much better than I was lead to believe it'd be. Carrey is on here and the supporting cast is great, especially Rhys 'Ginger Balls' Darby and John Michael Higgins. Yeah the plot is fairly standard but the movie had some great laughs and was a lot of fun. It degenerates into the usual last 20 minutes of misunderstandings/sap/lessons learned but it is still highly entertaining and pretty damn funny. 3.5/5
Old 12-22-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It wasn't Jim's funniest, but I thought it was still a really fun and had a great time watching it. The script may not be the most amazing new and fresh thing in the world, but the cast totally dedicates themselves to it and it made all the difference. I will get the DVD.
Old 12-22-08, 12:20 PM

Ugh. Had hope for this one, but it was all for naught.

I made up my own review for this one - it's done in MSPaint, but a picture is worth a thousand words, y'know?

It's here:

http://swritersleague.blogspot.com/2...w-yes-man.html

Last edited by RATRUNICK; 12-22-08 at 12:21 PM. Reason: URL error