Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

H2, aka Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

H2, aka Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: H2, aka Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

I just want to put this out there so people can stew on it: Rob Zombie remade Halloween, and like every remake there are going to be haters like a lot of the people that have been posting on this thread. But I just want to let you haters in on a little secret: Rob Zombie did not touch the original Halloween. He didn't pull a George Lucas and mess with the original. He took the story from the original and put his own spin on it. There is nothing wrong with that. They do revivals on Broadway all the time and no one complains, so why can't Rob Zombie do his own version of Halloween? How many times has Dracula been remade? Hundreds of times and no one complains. If you don't like the movie or the idea of the movie THEN DON'T SEE IT. It's very simple. I think that the remake of Halloween is a very good movie and a very good remake. If you just look at all the remakes they do then you might see my point. I will be there on opening day for this movie because I happen to be a fan of RZ. If he went back and messed with the original movie then I would be PO'd, but he didn't. God made us in his own image. Are you mad at him for that too.
Old 06-27-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Excellent point. People always get all up in arms when someone remakes a classic. But the remake does not REPLACE the original, it is still there for you to watch anytime you feel like it.
Old 06-27-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While I can't disagree with anyone dubbed "godzilla rules", I do have to say that, while you make a good point, I'm a fan of the Halloween series so I HAVE to see each new entry. Much like F13th, there really wasn't anywhere for the series to go other than being remade. I think it's more that old school fans, like myself, want more of the films we love the way we loved them. It's impossible to expect new entries to live up to what we hold most dear, but when I see Zombie take things in such a drastic new direction it's slightly disappointing. That being said, H2 certainly looks like it will easily be the most bizarre Halloween film to date. Watching it will be an experience, I'm sure.
Old 06-27-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
blah, blah, blah
While you certainly make points that anyone can agree with you can't expect everyone to love the fact that they (shittily) remade what is probably the greatest horror movie of all time (it's debatable)..

IN FACT, Zombie himself said this in '02.

Originally Posted by Rob Zombie
“I feel it’s the worst thing any filmmaker can do. I actually got a call from my agent and they asked me if I wanted to be involved in a remake of CHAINSAW. I said no fucking way! Those movies are perfect — you’re only going to make yourself look like an asshole by remaking them. Go remake something that’s a piece of shit and make it good. Like with my movie I have elements of CHAINSAW in it because I love that movie so much, but I wouldn’t dare want to “remake” it. It’s like a band trying to be another band.”
So, even he knows he's a money-grubbing asshole.
Old 06-27-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That new trailer is a lot better than the ones before it.
Old 06-28-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
but when I see Zombie take things in such a drastic new direction it's slightly disappointing
Why remake a movie if you aren't going to bring a distinctive new spin to the same concept?
Old 06-28-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Seriously, I didn't want to see a frame by frame remake of the original. That's just dumb. The fact that Zombie did something different was fine by me. I liked his 'vision' of Halloween, although I still think the original is far far superior. It didn't ruin the experience for me.

That's not to say that Zombie's Halloween didn't have issues... it certainly did. But it was definitely an entertaining entry and still one of the best entries to the franchise in a long long time.
Old 06-28-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Why remake a movie if you aren't going to bring a distinctive new spin to the same concept?
I fully agree with you. My argument is, "why remake the movie at all?" I think that the vast majority of people believe that Carpenter's Halloween is the definitive version of the film. Same with Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Nightmare on Elm Street, The Birds...pretty much anything Platinum Dunes has in their production pipeline. They are as close to perfect as films get. Why remake them? You might have a different take on the material, but it's certainly not going to be better. In fact, what you're doing is exploiting the built-in audience that already loves the characters for a big opening weekend.

Why not remake something that you can top? Or something that you can expound on? A good candidate was My Bloody Valentine. Due to some well done 3D, the remake was enjoyable enough, if quickly forgettable, but it was a film that could have topped the original, which was good by 80's slasher standards, but certainly not an untoppable piece of filmmaking art.

I tend to agree with the pre-take the money and run Zombie...you just look like an asshole if you try to remake something that is universally considered a classic. The only place to go is down.
Old 06-28-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

And this is definitely what I give Zombie credit for - he did exactly that. Of course he shot some of the elements the same (i.e. Michael's stalking in the neighborhood, the grave site, the babysitting scenes) but those were all, in my opinion, necessary scenes - he still catered to the orginial but went his own way with it and maybe that's why I liked it.

Looking back now, while I can still enjoy the film, I like many others am sick of the trailer trash angle he places in his films - yeah he got away with it yet again in Halloween but it only marginally works to show that Michael is from a broken home.

The new trailer for the sequel definitely looks promising as well.
Old 06-28-09, 01:16 PM

That new trailer is awesome - very creepy and atmospheric.

I have no doubt Zombie will deliver a solid entry to the series (as he did with the first).

And I agree 100% with godzilla rules' post

All the bitching and moaning about an oversized coat (and now the car flipping) is pretty laughable, if you ask me.
Old 06-28-09, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Looking back now, while I can still enjoy the film, I like many others am sick of the trailer trash angle he places in his films - yeah he got away with it yet again in Halloween but it only marginally works to show that Michael is from a broken home.
I agree with this. Had he portrayed the family as a typical middle-class suburban family (as portrayed in the novel (if I recall correctly), it would have been FAR more disturbing and effective.
Old 06-28-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kurupt
I fully agree with you.
Well, I supported Zombie's remake on the grounds that it was different, so I don't think we actually agree, but thanks anyway
Old 07-31-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, someone who has seen the film posted a VERY spoiler-heavy review. I read it because, well... frankly, I've already written this movie off as shit. And judging by the review, I was giving it too much credit. But I'm still going to see it because it sounds like such a fantastic train wreck.

Spoiler:

Let me start off by saying that even though I?m a horror movie fanatic it?s been maybe 15 years since I?ve seen the original HALLOWEEN 2. I remembered not liking it very much and even though I still consider the first in the series the best horror film ever made, nothing ever really drew me back to part two. So besides a few fuzzy memories of it, I went into the film last night being able to take a real unbiased look at a ?remake?. I?ll run it down and go through the film for anyone interested (All of it being ?spoilers? so if you don?t want to know what happens in the movie stop reading HERE). Remember that I?m sure some of this will change by the time it hits theaters later this summer, especially after the focus group met and gave opinions after the film. I?ll mention what we/they thought during the review, as well for those interested.

The movie opens with Laurie, bloody, walking down the street. Sheriff Brackett finds her and takes her to the hospital (I remember the hospital scene taking place towards the end of the original, correct me if I?m wrong but in any case it?s the beginning here.) The next 15 minutes, besides being WAY too loud, to the actual point where I had a bit of a headache afterwards are really fantastic and I had hoped would set the film up very nicely.

Zombie chooses to show us most of the ?gore? in this one scene and for the rest of the film shows a lot of restraint in what he shows, letting our minds do most of the work which I really appreciated. Nowadays a lot of directors think blood & guts = scares which just isn?t true.

We spend the next 20 minutes or so getting to know this new grunge Laurie (who now lives with her friend Annie and the Sheriff) and her friends who work at a book/record/indie type store and we learn they looove to party. The characters are really your standard issue, cookie cutter horror movie characters and you can pretty much pinpoint who will die and in what order. After this we see Loomis who has become a real media whore and a just an all around ****after the release of his book about Michael, which is doing a media tour for and just happens to be somewhere near Haddonfield, IL where they film a major late night talk show. Lucky him. He?s no longer a sympathetic character he is now just a famous diva who only cares about himself and his new career and let me say the focus group and the end was more than vocal about how much they hated this.

Interspersed through all of this are visions Michael has with his mother (the gorgeous Sherri Moon Zombie), a white horse and the younger version of himself guiding him to kill more so they can all finally be together. This might work in a different film but the problem here is that Laurie is having visions of them, too. The same visions. This is never explained or touched upon and even when she learns she?s Michael?s sister, if this was supposed to mean they were all connected in some way, it still doesn?t make any sense. As much as I love her, Michael?s mother has no business being in this movie at all. About 90% of the people in the focus group said they didn?t like her scenes at all which weren?t many to begin with and I?m sure will now be sliced down pretty heavily.

As you guess right after we meet the characters, Michael starts killing again. Obviously he needs to get ?through? people to get where he?s going, but too many scenes were set up just to kill someone with no further advancement of a plot you could tell they desperately were trying to do something with - including scenes in a strip club stomping a mans face until it?s just meat, taking a naked stripper by the hair and smashing her into a mirror until she goes bye-bye, not to mention Michael killing a dog, gutting it and eating it?s insides. Let me just say that when I got the chance last night I let them know just how unnecessary that was and every single person there said that needed to be cut out immediately. I?m hoping it is because it?s something that I really should have walked on the film because of.

Soon after, Laurie discovers she?s Michael?s sister and all hell breaks loose. She does a LOT of screaming in this movie, almost to the laughable point which she does most of in the next few scenes. She tells her friends she needs to go out and PAR-TAY which we all know means ?Dead Friends? so when Harley (the slut of the group) goes to a random man?s van, you don?t have to be a genius to know what will happen. That scene is so predictable and so stupid pretty much everyone agreed afterwards it was just too much. When you can count down to when the attack will happen you know your movie has become too formulaic.

After this, Michael decides to visit the house of our dear friend Annie who until this point has had a decent amount of screen time cooped up in her house. When she opens that medicine cabinet you don?t have to be a rocket scientist to know what she?ll see when she closes it! Cut to a few minutes later, Laurie and her only living friend now, Maya (the beautiful Brea Grant who plays Daphne on HEROES) both completely drunk go back to Annie?s house to crash but there?s a big mess there so being as bright as they are they know something is wrong. Maya is the first to get hers, when she goes downstairs alone to call 911. Luckily Laurie escapes the house and runs into the woods (because when you?re being chased by a killer you obviously run into the woods) where dagnabit, she gets caught by Michael and taken to an old shack. Now, she must have been in there for quite a while because we cut to Loomis in a swanky hotel (obviously in town) after he just finished his talk show appearance opposite Weird Al, where he sees the breaking news that Michael Myers (not the same Michael Myers from the Austin Powers films as Weird Al points out) is at it again. Loomis rushes to the site where poor Laurie is screaming again being held by her brother while we see Mommy and Little Michael watching her. Loomis informs her that nobody is holding her which we now see is true. Michael is on the other side of the barn and she?s just imagining she?s being held. The word ?HUH??? came to mind last night. Michael slices up ol? Loomis but I couldn?t pay much attention to that because I was still trying to figure out how and WHY Michael and Laurie had been having the same visions of young Michael and the Mother the entire movie.

Anywho, long story short Laurie stabs Michael, and walks out of the barn wearing her Halloween costume (she was dressed as Magenta from ROCKY HORROR) and Michael?s mask which elicited a LOT of laughter, seeing this little girl with this enormous mask on. We than cut to Laurie in a white room. Is she in a mental institution? I didn?t think so, but others did. We see her look up and see Mrs. Myers walking towards her with the same white horse we?ve seen her with the whole movie. Laurie gives an evil little smile and the film ends.

So?a good part of the discussion after was spent on that last scene. To me and a lot of other people it made no sense and was just, well, stupid. The fact that you think Laurie has turned bad for no reason at all didn?t sit well with people because A) It?s not who the character is and B) there is no reason for it. She?s had nothing happen to her to turn HER into a killer now.

A lot was also said afterward about the fact that we see a lot of Michaels face in this film. He has a very long beard and looks a lot like Zombie, himself which I wasn?t sure if that was on purpose or not. But to me and most others there this isn?t a good thing. Humanizing Michael doesn?t make him more scary, it makes him completely unbelievable. If we see him as just a regular guy, how are we to ?believe? he can survive having his body bashed with baseball bats, bullets, etc and just get right back up again and keep killing. In the films current state, he is more like Jason, not Michael.

I?m sorry if this was a bit all over the place. I?m at work and doing a million things at the same time as trying to do this, but that?s pretty much the gist of the film as it is now. I?ll say again for as much as I detested the first one, this one was much much better. I?ll even go to see it again to see what changes they?ve hopefully made to it.

Here's the thread where he answers MANY questions:
http://broadwayworld.com/board/readm...dt=1&boardid=2
Old 08-06-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well since i know some of you had to know
Rated R for Strong brutal bloody violence throughout, terror, disturbing graphic images, language, some crude sexual content and nudity
Old 08-06-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
well since i know some of you had to know
Rated R for Strong brutal bloody violence throughout, terror, disturbing graphic images, language, some crude sexual content and nudity
you left out "endless supplies of white trash"
Old 08-06-09, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

WTF.

Sounds like garbage...but I'll see it.

Question - I've seen the first Zombie flick a few times in different forms (Theatrical, Directors and Workpint) but didn't Loomis die?
Old 08-06-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
WTF.

Sounds like garbage...but I'll see it.

Question - I've seen the first Zombie flick a few times in different forms (Theatrical, Directors and Workpint) but didn't Loomis die?
Not definitively enough to kill a character in a horror movie.
Old 08-06-09, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Not definitively enough to kill a character in a horror movie.
I remember where he was either killed or had his eyes gouged out (again, I've seen the film in three different versions so I'm confused). Ugh. I'll still check it out though...maybe not in Theaters.
Old 08-06-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I remember where he was either killed or had his eyes gouged out (again, I've seen the film in three different versions so I'm confused). Ugh. I'll still check it out though...maybe not in Theaters.
remember, if you want the Weinstein Company to survive YOU WILL SEE THIS IN THEATERS!
Old 08-06-09, 05:53 PM
Suspended

remember, if you want the Weinstein Company to survive YOU WILL SEE THIS IN THEATERS!
They're dead already you just don't know it yet. I'm guessing they bow out in late September. H2 will not be a hit when The Final Destination (in fantastic 3D!) hits the same day.
Old 08-06-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well they always have that movie 9 coming out, which will prob be a mild hit with older people (as it is a musical) and itll prob give them some oscar nods
Old 08-06-09, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Well they always have that movie 9 coming out, which will prob be a mild hit with older people (as it is a musical) and itll prob give them some oscar nods
Do you mean District 9? If so, that's Sony I believe. Weinstein has no Theatrical titles except H2 and some of Inglorious Basterds. All other theatrical films have been scrapped/pushed to see if H2 kills them.
Old 08-06-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

District 9 isn't a musical. I think he meant that movie about the weird like sock puppets or whatever with Martin Landau and all those people. Although I didn't know that was a musical either.

If you think that would save Weinstein there's no way. I'm anticipating being the only one in the theaters for that one.
Old 08-06-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wait, did the rob marshall "9" get pushed back till later? i could have sworn they were wanting to release that in like nov or dec for awards season
Old 08-06-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Never heard of this before until now. This is more "9 Movies" than we had in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_(film)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.