Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So how bad is "The Day The Earth Stood Still"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So how bad is "The Day The Earth Stood Still"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it would have been better if Will Smith took his son's role...
Old 12-25-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This movie was horseshit. Not that I thought it would be good, but I saw it last night since it was the only movie playing after 7pm around here.

Beyond hokey, awful acting.. a big WTF. Nobody else in the theater seemed the least bit interested, either.
Old 12-25-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was quite bad. But after seeing the Spirit today I realized it wasn't THAT bad after all.
Old 12-26-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We saw this last night after eating Christmas dinner. Biggest waste of money I have spent seeing a movie at the theater this year.
Old 12-26-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Not that I am going to see it but was it as bad as The Happening?
Old 12-26-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought The Happening was better..
Old 12-31-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I should see this film, as much as I didn't want to to see what they were doing with this version re-imagined by Greenpeace. It really was godawful.

First the good. I did like Reeves. He was good, albeit he didn't have to act. Connelly did a competent if uninspired job. It was fun seeing the guy from Mad Men. It was better (or at least more watchable) than The Spirit.

The bad: everything else.

It made no sense.
Spoiler:
Why would they give a crap about what we would do to our (right, it's not our planet; well it sure as hell isn't their planet, those idiot Gaia worshipers). What a lame excuse, there are only a few planets capable of supporting advanced life. First of all, I find that hard to believe. Maybe it evolves on few but there should be a lot in billions of planets that can support life. And this unbelievably technologically advanced group of civilizations (must not be that many since there are so few planets capable of supporting them) wouldn't be capable of terraforming (or whatever they would call it)?

Helen's constant whining, please don't kill us, "we can do better" concedes the validity of Klaatu's argument which is utterly absurd. Convince him he and his ilk are immoral bastards if they are going to kill billions of humans, not that he is right and they should please give us a chance to join the Sierra Club and kiss Al Gore's butt.

At the end, all the power going off, this is a solution? Having us lose modern power sources would condemn 90+% of us to starvation and miserable deaths. That would have us at each others' throats in a Road Warrior world (without even the benefit of some energy) within weeks. I guess that's why the movie ended there before we saw our wonderful new green world take its utopian shape.

This is one of the dumbest movies ever made.

Last edited by movielib; 01-02-09 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-31-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Old 12-31-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Good God
Old 01-02-09, 07:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
I'm a bit of a Keanu apologists maybe, and thought he was pretty decent in this.

The movie was just awful though. The Happening was definitely a better film, and not just in a so-bad-its-good way.
Old 01-02-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It conformed to today's Hollywood formula: Remake + bigger, louder and dumber.
I can't think of a better metaphor for our times than the fact that we've gone from Michael Rennie as an advanced life form to...Keanu Reeves?
Old 01-02-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hell, the original Day the Earth Stood Still is far from a masterpiece. I just got the blu-ray of the original and I saw it for the first time in a long time. It's decent but I think overrated. A much better '50s sci-fi film is Forbidden Planet.

Just watched The Happening too. It's not very good.

But The Happening is better than the remake DtESS.