Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How badly will Punisher 2 bomb?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How bad will Punisher 2 flop?
less 15 million at the BO but more than ten million
41.18%
less than 10 million but more than five million
25.49%
Five million or less
33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-08, 06:23 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Punisher sequel which really isn't be advertised much, I think i saw one commercial on Spike TV which means Lionsgate doesn't have much faith in it. What do you think it'll make at the box office?
Old 12-05-08, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
I feel like I've seen a surprising number of commercials for it. Not summer blockbuster level, but more than I was expecting.
Old 12-05-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking about $7M, but I could be way off.
Old 12-05-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't the reviews been better than the last one? I can honestly say I never once saw an ad on TV or the theater for the Thomas Jane Punisher. I bet this makes more than 15 mil though in its theatrical run. Doubt I will see it. Never seen any of the Punishers. Barely even read the comics.
Old 12-05-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Not sure if it will flop but is this supposed to be a continuation of the Thomas Jane movie or a new beginning?
Old 12-05-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I've seen tons of commercials for it, its all over Myspace, and its the only new movie opening in a full release this weekend. It wont be a blockbuster, but its going to make money.

And this probably should be in the existing Punisher 2 thread
Old 12-05-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suppose to be a Re-telling of the story, Like the Incredible Hulk.
Old 12-05-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Not sure if it will flop but is this supposed to be a continuation of the Thomas Jane movie or a new beginning?
It's the same script that Thomas Jane said no to, but I hear they added a scene showing Frank Castle's origin closer to the comics.
Old 12-05-08, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
Haven't the reviews been better than the last one? I can honestly say I never once saw an ad on TV or the theater for the Thomas Jane Punisher. I bet this makes more than 15 mil though in its theatrical run. Doubt I will see it. Never seen any of the Punishers. Barely even read the comics.
Metacritic:
Punisher: War Zone, has a 31 rating which can still change. Ouch...
Punisher, has a 33 rating...not that much better really.

Ok, I hated Punisher. It just softenend the character too much and the humor in it was weak and stupid. War Zone seems to bring Punny back to form though some of those reviews have me worried a wee bit. Stevenson looks a lot like Castle than Jane ever did. An no matter I will watch this tonight. I hope it really is the Punisher we all know and love.
Old 12-05-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
The commercial that I saw made the movie look REALLY bad. Like some cheap 90's straight to video movie.
Old 12-05-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
I wasn't interested at all in this from the previews, but Ebert's review has me thinking it might be worth a matinee or rental down the line. He basically said that it's a very well done movie, but he hated the subject matter and gratuitous violence.
Old 12-05-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It might do ok on the first day but it'll drop like a stone. The film is absolutely godawful. It's just a terrible movie and I say this as someone who loved "Rambo 4," which is something closer to what Punisher should've been instead of the garbage this one is.

Last edited by BJacks; 12-05-08 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here, which is interesting, because he only gave it two stars. But I had a feeling that the movie might be entertaining in an awful kind of way.
Old 12-05-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It's the same script that Thomas Jane said no to, but I hear they added a scene showing Frank Castle's origin closer to the comics.
I just read the FAQ on IMDB, and found some tidbits about Jane I hadnt read before: (and since this thread is getting more attention than the original)

Why isn't Thomas Jane involved?

Tom Jane walked out on the then in-development Punisher sequel in the spring of 2007, citing creative differences. Rumor has it that Marvel wanted the movie to be closer to the MAX line of the comic, something which was fine with LGF, as long as the Punisher got to keep some redeeming features. On the other hand, Jane wanted the movie to be closer to Taxi Driver, and allegedly wanted to develop Frank Castle in the same direction as Travis Bickle, taking the movie even further away from the comic. (Jane has officially stated that the similarity to Taxi Driver was the main reason he accepted the role in the first place and that he was never a fan of the Punisher comic.) Another rumor has it that Jane wanted more money than LGF was willing to pay in order to keep him. When both Marvel and LGF refused to give in to his demands, Jane walked out on the movie.

Are they still using the same script which caused Tom Jane to leave?

No. Jane's departure caused a rethink of the movie, and the entire project went through a major overhaul. Everything they had developed thus far was scrapped and, for all intents and purposes, production started anew. Marvel, LGF and the director they hired shortly after Jane's departure found a vision that all involved parties could agree upon and, since then, production moved forward in one direction. Director Lexi Alexander wrote a new script from page one with only a passing resemblance to previous drafts. Her script has since been rewritten and further polished by Iron Man screenwriters Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. As such, the script currently being used is NOT the one which caused Jane to leave the movie. Reviews of early drafts of the current script have been highly favourable.
Old 12-05-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
If it was PG-13 I could see it doing numbers like Max Payne did, but with the R who knows.
Old 12-05-08, 10:33 AM
Banned

i THINK IT'LL END UP MAKING AT LEAST $25 MILLION. Call me crazy but I do.
Old 12-05-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't really think expectations are that high for this anyway, so I doubt it will actually be a bomb. I think it will make more then 10 mil though. I didn't vote since I think it will eclipse 15 too.
Old 12-05-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the budget is $35 million. Theatrical and DVD sales/rentals should be able to take care of that. And like I said its the only new wide movie this weekend. Its a decent choice for action fans who have allready seen/passed on Bond and Transporter 3.
Old 12-05-08, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The commercial that I saw made the movie look REALLY bad. Like some cheap 90's straight to video movie.
Funny. That's the reason I'm interested in seeing this. Looked like a commercial that would've slotted in nicely with Grindhouse.

Random note: I remember the previous film opened opposite Kill Bill Vol. 2. I went to see KB.

Per IMDb:
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004) 2004 25,104,949
Punisher, The (2004) 2004 13,834,527

Anyway, I enjoyed the previous two Punisher movies. The Lundgren one is just awesomely bad 80's action and the Jane film brought in some fun bits from Ennis's run on the series. I really liked Scheider, disliked Travolta, and sort of chuckled at the black dye job.
Old 12-05-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I read the budget is $35 million. Theatrical and DVD sales/rentals should be able to take care of that. And like I said its the only new wide movie this weekend. Its a decent choice for action fans who have allready seen/passed on Bond and Transporter 3.
Only $35 million. I'm guessing that's probably a safe bet it will be profitable.
Old 12-05-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik

Yup,

if it makes more than 5 million I would be shocked.

With Jane and Trovolta the other one didn't open that big either...
Old 12-05-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Yup,

if it makes more than 5 million I would be shocked.

With Jane and Trovolta the other one didn't open that big either...
The other opened against Kill Bill 2, which was stupid. 2 revenge movies in 1 weekend, one of which being a sequel/continuation.
Old 12-05-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Same here, which is interesting, because he only gave it two stars. But I had a feeling that the movie might be entertaining in an awful kind of way.
It's not one of those so-bad-its-good movies. It's just bad, in the same way that "Ghost Rider" had maybe one or two cool moments, but the rest was lame and boring. Except here, the direction, acting, story, dialogue, make-up and pretty much everything else is worse.
Old 12-05-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other opened against Kill Bill 2, which was stupid. 2 revenge movies in 1 weekend, one of which being a sequel/continuation.
That and Punisher came just two weeks after another comic book movie, Hellboy. Bad planning all around.
Old 12-05-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read the FAQ on IMDB, and found some tidbits about Jane I hadnt read before: (and since this thread is getting more attention than the original)

Why isn't Thomas Jane involved?

Tom Jane walked out on the then in-development Punisher sequel in the spring of 2007, citing creative differences. Rumor has it that Marvel wanted the movie to be closer to the MAX line of the comic, something which was fine with LGF, as long as the Punisher got to keep some redeeming features. On the other hand, Jane wanted the movie to be closer to Taxi Driver, and allegedly wanted to develop Frank Castle in the same direction as Travis Bickle, taking the movie even further away from the comic. (Jane has officially stated that the similarity to Taxi Driver was the main reason he accepted the role in the first place and that he was never a fan of the Punisher comic.) Another rumor has it that Jane wanted more money than LGF was willing to pay in order to keep him. When both Marvel and LGF refused to give in to his demands, Jane walked out on the movie.

Are they still using the same script which caused Tom Jane to leave?

No. Jane's departure caused a rethink of the movie, and the entire project went through a major overhaul. Everything they had developed thus far was scrapped and, for all intents and purposes, production started anew. Marvel, LGF and the director they hired shortly after Jane's departure found a vision that all involved parties could agree upon and, since then, production moved forward in one direction. Director Lexi Alexander wrote a new script from page one with only a passing resemblance to previous drafts. Her script has since been rewritten and further polished by Iron Man screenwriters Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. As such, the script currently being used is NOT the one which caused Jane to leave the movie. Reviews of early drafts of the current script have been highly favourable.
Weird, I could have sworn I heard that Jane jumped ship so close to the start of production that they didn't have time to rework it much. I'm probably wrong.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.