Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Overrated Quentin Tarantino Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Most Overrated Quentin Tarantino Movie
Reservoir Dogs
9.84%
Pulp Fiction
9.02%
Kill Bill: Vol. 1
9.84%
Kill Bill: Vol. 2
3.28%
Jackie Brown
13.11%
True Romance
1.64%
From Dusk Till Dawn
3.28%
Nothing he's done is overrated
37.70%
Everything he's done is overrated
12.30%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Most Overrated Quentin Tarantino Movie

Old 12-01-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sanjuro37 View Post
So can we look forward to a poll now looking trash any noteworthy director? And if so, why did we leap from Spielberg to fucking Tarantino?
If I can make grammatical sense out of your first question, I believe this is what is known as a discussion. I don't think there is an intentional segueway from Spielberg to Tarantino, abe55 just posts polls according to some kind of internal whim.
Old 12-01-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I nominate Terrence Malick for the next poll.

And my vote is for Days of Heaven.
Old 12-01-08, 07:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 610 Likes on 524 Posts
Death Proof is simply schizophrenic. i've said this before, but the first half is vintage QT and masterfully done. when they go to color with the 2nd cast, the dialogue all of a sudden becomes horrible and difficult to listen to. the girls become caricatures and poorly played ones at that. the whole second half just didn't work and was polar opposite imo to the first half. the action was still vintage and i saw what he was doing with the revenge angle which should have worked, but the writing simply bit. it never got accolades so it certainly can't be overrated, but it is disappointing on some level compared to his brilliant other works. i still like it overall however.
Old 12-01-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I nominate Terrence Malick for the next poll.

And my vote is for Days of Heaven.
No one's stopping you from making the poll. Days of Heaven would get my vote as well, even though I love the film. I just found a copy of the 1972 freeform obscurity Deadhead Miles, written by Malick. Now all I need is The Gravy Train.
Old 12-01-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to vote for Death Proof but it's not up there so...

I got nothing.
Old 12-01-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I liked the 2nd half of Death Proof more just because of Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Old 12-01-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I don't think there is an intentional segueway from Spielberg to Tarantino, abe55 just posts polls according to some kind of internal whim.
And salt will continue to pour into my open wound every time I see the original post saying:

Most Overrated Stanley Kubrick Movie - 2001: A Space Odyssey
Anyway, I voted for DOGS. I'm still with Siskel/Ebert on their review for it.
Old 12-01-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And salt will continue to pour into my open wound every time I see the original post saying:

Most Overrated Stanley Kubrick Movie - 2001: A Space Odyssey
Haven't you heard? It's boring!
Old 12-01-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 702 Posts
On the list, I'm going to have to go with JACKIE BROWN. I don't really think it's "overrated" per se, I think it's a good film, but it's always been my least favourite QT film. When I first saw RESERVOIR DOGS, PULP FICTION and KILL BILL Vol 1 (DOGS on video, the other two in the theatre), I was absolutely floored, just riveted in my seat for the entire running time and I couldn't get the films out of my head for days afterward (this doesn't happen to me too often, so it makes a big impact when it does happen). But with JACKIE BROWN, I just thought it was a good film, nicely made and acted, but I didn't get anything close to the feeling I had for the above mentioned films.
Old 12-01-08, 09:12 PM

Tarantino is the most overrated director of all time. All the man does is steal dialogues, stories and whole scenes because he is to dumb to come up with something by himself.
Old 12-01-08, 09:12 PM

Death Proof is still the single worst thing I have ever seen. I have sat through highschool plays that are better. I would rather watch a 24 hour marathon of the worst Lifetime Channel movies than ever see it again.
Old 12-01-08, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emachine View Post
Tarantino is the most overrated director of all time. All the man does is steal dialogues, stories and whole scenes because he is to dumb to come up with something by himself.
But the way he puts everything together is so good.
Old 12-01-08, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
But the way he puts everything together is so good.
I can't wait until Inglorious Basterds is finished so Tarantino can get to work on that script about a giant great white shark that terrorizes a beach community over a holiday.
Old 12-01-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Death Proof is not overrated because most people hate it. The question is not which of his movies is the best.

I picked From Dusk Til Dawn because I saw it once and aside from Salma Hayek, found no reason to ever see it again.
Old 12-01-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I never cared much for the Kill Bill movies...but at least part 2 made an effort to put a decent story behind it, so Part 1 gets my vote.
Old 12-01-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nothing he's done is overrated
Old 12-01-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts
Everytime someone on DVD Talk misunderstands what the word "overrated" means, Jesus kicks a pigeon.
Old 12-01-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser View Post
Everytime someone on DVD Talk misunderstands what the word "overrated" means, Jesus kicks a pigeon.
You don't think the critically acclaimed Jurassic Park is overrated? Remember when Cahiers du cinéma were raving about it's brilliance? I just can't believe that 40% of voters believe that nothing Tarantino has done is overrated. Oh wait. Yes I can.
Old 12-02-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Voted for Kill Bill 1, and let me tell you fuckers why.

There are two different types of movies Tarantino makes. One is a movie set in the "real" world (Tarantino's world) (Res. Dogs, Pulp, Jackie Brown, True Romance) and the other type is what he calls his movie movie, that is the kind of movie that characters in Tarantino World would go to see (Dusk till Dawn, Kill Bill, Death Proof).

In my opinion, he should take a break from the "movie movies" and get sort of real, again and hopefully that's what Ing. Bastards will be. While Kill Bill 2 gave some depth and resonance to the whole saga, I found part 1 to be pretty much worthless to anyone but the most devoted samurai movie fan. People actually get caught up over whether the bloodbath scene should be black-and-white or color. My opinion is that it doesn't matter at all, it's stupid in any color.

An earlier poster said that Reservoir Dogs was too raw or like a student film. I think it looks rather good, actually. It was cheaply made, but that's no flaw. The dialogue is so good and the scenes so impeccably constructed, that the film could easily be adapted for the stage. This is beautiful writing and probably his best script.

Pulp Fiction is the breakthrough popular phenomenon and is a great film. It feels a little slow by today's standards, but is aging nicely like a fine Kubrick. Repeat viewings are rewarded.

Jackie Brown is by far his most underrated picture. It's as good if not better than Pulp, but was trashed because it cut back on the pyrotechnics and developed the characters. I haven't read the book, but this film is like a good novel. The characters are older than the usual movie heroes, and the films themes resonates all around. Samuel L. Jackson should have won an Oscar for his performance as Ordell, which is the best of his career. Really stunning work.

Not gonna bother with the others since he didn't direct them and the scripts were either changed up all over the place, or in the case of From Dusk Till Dawn, I can't get through 10 minutes of it (but the same can be said for most of Rodriguez' work).
Old 12-02-08, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't think the critically acclaimed Jurassic Park is overrated? Remember when Cahiers du cinéma were raving about it's brilliance? I just can't believe that 40% of voters believe that nothing Tarantino has done is overrated. Oh wait. Yes I can.
No I'm talking about every one of these overrated threads, in which people just chime in with their least favorite movie instead of the one that receives excessive and/or unwarranted praise ("DEATH PROOF is overrated!! FOUR ROOMS is overrated!!"). It's like when people think the word penultimate means "super-duper awesomely ultimate" instead of its actual meaning of "second to last".
Old 12-02-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'Jackie Brown' is his best work.

Elmore Leonard approved of it too.
Old 12-02-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
'Jackie Brown' is his best work.
This is so true.

Too many people went into it expecting "Pulp Fiction Part Deux" -- especially back in 1997 -- and were disappointed it wasn't a violent, profanity-laden pop-culture metatextual hipfest. They failed to see it was an exemplary work of filmmaking in almost every aspect.
Old 12-02-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts
This is so true.

Too many people went into it expecting "Pulp Fiction Part Deux" -- especially back in 1997 -- and were disappointed it wasn't a violent, profanity-laden pop-culture metatextual hipfest. They failed to see it was an exemplary work of filmmaking in almost every aspect.
Old 12-02-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No I'm talking about every one of these overrated threads, in which people just chime in with their least favorite movie instead of the one that receives excessive and/or unwarranted praise ("DEATH PROOF is overrated!! FOUR ROOMS is overrated!!").
I know. My post was facetious.
Old 12-02-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. My post was facetious.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.