Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Abigail (2024, D: Bettinelli-Olpin & Gillett) S: Barrera, Stevens, Newton, Weir

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 12:01 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Only In Theaters April 19

Children can be such monsters.

After a group of would-be criminals kidnap the 12-year-old ballerina daughter of a powerful underworld figure, all they have to do to collect a $50 million ransom is watch the girl overnight. In an isolated mansion, the captors start to dwindle, one by one, and they discover, to their mounting horror, that they’re locked inside with no normal little girl.

From Radio Silence—the directing team of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett behind the terrifying modern horror hits Ready or Not, 2022’s Scream and last year’s Scream VI—comes a brash, blood-thirsty new vision of the vampire flick, written by Stephen Shields (The Hole in the Ground, Zombie Bashers) and Guy Busick (Scream franchise, Ready or Not).

Abigail stars Melissa Barrera (Scream franchise, In the Heights), Dan Stevens (Gaslit, Legion), Kathryn Newton (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Freaky), William Catlett (Black Lightning, True Story), Kevin Durand (Resident Evil: Retribution, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Angus Cloud (Euphoria, North Hollywood) as the kidnappers and Alisha Weir (Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical, Darklands) as Abigail.

The film produced by William Sherak (Scream franchise, Ready or Not), Paul Neinstein (Scream franchise; executive producer, The Night Agent) and James Vanderbilt (Zodiac, Scream franchise) for Project X Entertainment, by Tripp Vinson (Ready or Not, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island) and by Radio Silence’s Chad Vilella (executive producer Ready or Not and Scream franchise). The executive producers are Ron Lynch and Macdara Kelleher.
Old 01-11-24, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Abigail (2024, D: Bettinelli-Olpin & Gillett) S: Barrera, Stevens, Newton, Weir

That trailer doesn’t do a lot for me but I enjoyed the hell out of Ready or Not so I may check this out if the reviews aren’t terrible.
Old 01-11-24, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Re: Abigail (2024, D: Bettinelli-Olpin & Gillett) S: Barrera, Stevens, Newton, Weir

I don't know if this is a new property or based on some book but I would have much preferred going in NOT knowing that she's a vampire, rather thinking she's just able to kick ass.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (04-06-24)
Old 01-11-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Made it halfway through the trailer and knew I was in so stopped it there.
Old 01-11-24, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I dug that trailer. A group of kidnappers getting slaughtered by a young pre-teen vampire sounds like a blast. It has a pretty decent cast too.
The following users liked this post:
RocShemp (01-12-24)
Old 01-12-24, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

This is probably the last film by Angus Cloud after his death.
Old 01-12-24, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

That looks fun. I enjoyed the hell out of Ready or Not and this does seem similar in spirit.

Weird that the written description of the cast doesn't mention Giancarlo Esposito, who might be the most famous face in the cast (or at least might have been the moat famous before the Scream 7 meltdown).
Old 01-12-24, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I think the trailer showed way too much (and Ready Or Not is overrated), but this sure looks like a whole lot of fun.
Old 04-04-24, 03:48 PM

Old 04-04-24, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

The first trailer already (over)sold me on this movie. No need to watch the second.
Old 04-06-24, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The first trailer already (over)sold me on this movie. No need to watch the second.
Same! Looking forward to seeing this one.
Old 04-06-24, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I don't know if this is a new property or based on some book but I would have much preferred going in NOT knowing that she's a vampire, rather thinking she's just able to kick ass.
That. The trailers could have been done without revealing she was even involved.

That said, I saw the poster and assumed it was just another killer kid horror film that I have no interest in. Saw the trailer before Late Night With the Devil . . . I am in! Just hoping the trailers didn't have too much in them.

Saw a fewl good looking trailers before LNWtD: this, Cuckoo, and a Nicolas Cage movie that I actually want to see (something about monsters or werewolves at night).

FWIW, Kevin Durand to star in the Elon Musk biopic?
Old 04-15-24, 08:40 AM

Out this week. Reviews started dropping the other day. Pretty positive so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/abigail_2024
Old 04-16-24, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
Out this week. Reviews started dropping the other day. Pretty positive so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/abigail_2024
Hoping it may have similar vibes to M3GAN. I know the plots are completely different, but I enjoyed seeing her go on a rampage and it also had some funny moments as well. Thinking about seeing Abigail and Civil War this weekend.
Old 04-18-24, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

85% on Rotten Tomatoes
Old 04-18-24, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

He liked this too. FIrst the First Omen and now this? 2024 is the year of good horror so far:

Old 04-19-24, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

The trailer kind of kills the first half the movie, which focuses on red-herrings to make it seem like she isn't the threat. Since I know the surprise, drawing the reveal out for so long made me feel like the movie was just wasting time.

The second half I enjoyed very much. Lots of exciting scenes, gruesome moments, and surprises. If the pre-Abigail scenes were cut in half, I'd want to go back and see this a second time.

However, even if the trailer did keep the secret, I think most season horror viewers would have guessed what she was based solely on the opening credit music
Old 04-19-24, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

This was a fun little horror romp with a simple (if ridiculous) tongue-in-cheek storyline about a little girl that likes to play with her food that won't tax your brain cells and has enough blood soaked vampire mayhem to satisfy your average gorehound. The movie overstays its welcome with too many predictable plot twists near the end, but Melissa Barrera makes for an appealing protagonist (moreso than in the Scream movies) and while the movie does very little to bring a fresh new vision to the horror genre, it's an entertaining timewaster that will leave you thirsting for an Abigal / M3GAN team-up and dance-off in the near future.
Old 04-19-24, 05:48 PM

Fans Dan Stevens are eating good right now.
Old 04-19-24, 11:15 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Is this "scare gore" or "over the top" gore? Like, my oldest has seen and loves Psycho Goreman and Army of Darkness, and I've shown her some 80s schlock horror like The Stuff and The Gate, plus she enjoyed M3gan, Signs, and No One Will Save You. How scary or horrendously gory is this? I think she'd like this and doesn't know anything about it or the twist.
Old 04-19-24, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

In terms of suitability for 11 to 12 year old, I don't think it is scary. Not as comical as PG or Army of Darkness, but never feels like a real world thing (other than perhaps the opening kidnapping scene).

"Over the top" gore more than "scare". I never winced, as this is the sort of movie where someone gets stabbed right through their leg but shakes it right off and goes back to running. There are a lot of gross-out moments
Spoiler:

Decapitated head.
When the vampires are killed they explode into a big gooey red messes that splash everyone.
A character falls into a disgusting pit filled with a hundred rotting corpses (although the movie does not justice to how unbearable all that rotting flesh in dirty water would smell).
Lots of stabbings, everyone is covered in blood (either their own or someone else's) at some point.
Old 04-19-24, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I thought it was fun. It was definitely not serious horror. It got a little campy and over the top at times. Not LOL funny, but like seeing exploding bodies and lots of blood and guts.

Giancarlo Esposito is only in 2 scenes. Basically a slightly longer cameo.

I did like Melissa Barrera here and I thought her character was a little more appealing than her Scream character.

It gets a B- from me. Not something I'll remember or rewatch over and over. But, it was entertaining.
Old 04-26-24, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally caught this. I didn't really like it. I might of liked it better than the First Omen but I would probably rate it about the same rating. (1.5 star out of 5)