Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Survival of the Dead -- George Romero's next Dead film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Survival of the Dead -- George Romero's next Dead film

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Survival of the Dead -- George Romero's next Dead film

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It comes out in 3 weeks in the UK on DVD and BD. I'm importing the BD.
fixed.
Old 03-18-10, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this and man did this movie suck. I love my zombie movies but this just pure sucked. I knew the cgi would be bad so I went in with that expectation so I was hoping that the story would be ok...and Romero disappointed. The dialogue was also terrible. Doesn't anyone proof-read his scripts?

Terrible terrible movie. I hope Romero does not make another movie.
Old 03-18-10, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers
Just saw this and man did this movie suck. I love my zombie movies but this just pure sucked. I knew the cgi would be bad so I went in with that expectation so I was hoping that the story would be ok...and Romero disappointed. The dialogue was also terrible. Doesn't anyone proof-read his scripts?

Terrible terrible movie. I hope Romero does not make another movie.
Disappointing news, although I can't say I'm shocked after the abomination that was Diary of the Dead. The trailers just look horrible. Although the zombies look very similar to Romero's prime, they just look really cheese in today's context. I'll still check this out, just because it's Romero but my expectations are low.

Anyone know of the BD is region-free ??
Old 03-18-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I actually liked it quite a bit. Surprisingly so since I hated Diary and the trailers looked like shit.

Yeah I enjoyed it. Bring on the next one George!
Old 04-26-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<object width="450" height="252"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/21345"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/21345" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="252"></embed></object>
Old 04-27-10, 09:17 PM

I don't think George Romero has any idea what he's doing anymore. This looks like shit and honestly I only expect as much after Diary of the Dead
Old 04-28-10, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Romero's top Zombie film is Dawn of The Dead. That was his strongest zombie flick. Day was weak, budget etc etc weird story, Land of The Dead wasn't great either. Diary I hear was pretty bad. And this one isn't that great from what I see as of now.

Shaun of The Dead was great. That's an honestly genre Zombie flick w/ a romcom thing going on there. 28 Days isn't Zombie but it's thrown in the genre anyway, I thought it was pretty cool. So....yeah...Romero hasn't been on a stride of good in while in his genre.

Now if Scott or Scorsese did one...I dunno about Scott, for some reason I can't see him doing one. I would love to see Scorsese do one. And I don't know why besides that I love his work and he always seems to bring good stuff.
Old 04-28-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know CGI has its place but, it should be banned in anything that is blood or gore. I bet with the crap we have become used to if someone made a movie with a have decent script and used Tom for effects we would think it was a masterpiece.
Old 04-28-10, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I know CGI has its place but, it should be banned in anything that is blood or gore. I bet with the crap we have become used to if someone made a movie with a have decent script and used Tom for effects we would think it was a masterpiece.
JUST in case for those of us who don't know what Tom you speak of..it's Tom Savini.
Old 04-28-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
JUST in case for those of us who don't know what Tom you speak of..it's Tom Savini.
Good point, thx.
Old 04-28-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Survival wasn't great, but it was definitely a step up from the disaster that was Diary.
Old 04-28-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

LA folks. Midnight at The Nuart in West LA

Fri, May 28: Zombies! George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

This film looks like ass but I think seeing it at Midnight at The Nuart will be cool.
Old 04-28-10, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
That may be so, but other than the very rare nugget like Shaun Of The Dead, no one else does zombies as good as George, and I'm willing to accept his "vision" far before most every other film-maker, unless maybe Ridley Scott and Martin Scorcese decide to make a "Dead" film together....I mean, are there any other zombie flicks better than George's? Not too many. Not too many at all!

....That said, I'll be buying this one right away, sight unseen. I tend to let the TV play movies if I'm just puttering around the house or on my computer (though I don't pay strict attention, it just plays), and I've been seen "Diary" on HD cable several times in the last 4-5 weeks...and it's definitely grown on me. It's no "Dawn", but it's every bit as good as "Land", IMHO. Romero IS the zombie genre.
When he was at the top of his game yes, no newer zombie films really hold a candle to his older films. But if you're insisting that his newer movies are better than other zombie flicks coming out at the same time, well that's just silly. Not that the zombie genre is really booming with quality at the moment but Romeros last few films have just been rubbish. I haven't seen this yet so I can't really talk but it looks absolutely terrible.
Old 04-28-10, 09:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Survival wasn't great, but it was definitely a step up from the disaster that was Diary.
I agree.

and I thought this was gorier than Diary.
Old 04-28-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

judging by this review the movie sounds like total shit and not even worth seeing

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/togBzRTHvXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/togBzRTHvXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-29-10, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

i honestly thought this was a true remake of "Day of the Dead" and was hoping George wasn't attached bc why the hell would he remake his own movie and then wouldn't ya know it .
Old 04-29-10, 12:13 PM
Banned

I don't get wtf scott1598 was trying to say either.
Old 04-29-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i honestly thought this was a true remake of "Day of the Dead" and was hoping George wasn't attached bc why the hell would he remake his own movie and then wouldn't ya know it .
are you talking about?
Old 04-29-10, 12:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

umm...the army personnel, the isolated locale, the training of zombies to be civilized, the scene where the woman soldier was strung up in chains was very similar to the zombie strung up in DotD. granted not exact, but it looked at first to be a remake of sorts is all. surely people can see that...
Old 05-07-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Went to a screening last night of Survival of the Dead, one where Romero was supposed to attend to do Q&A.

Romero was a no-show, as if he realized he could not be in a room with people who had just sat through that crapfest. Man, what a dud.

Plenty of unintentionally funny moments, however.
Old 05-07-10, 01:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

This will air on HDNet Movies later this month.

Survival of the Dead is the May 2010 HDNet Movies Sneak Preview. See it on HDNet Movies before it's in theatres or on DVD when it premieres Wednesday, May 26th at 8 PM ET, followed by encore presentations at 9:35 PM and 11:15 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

This is On Demand as well (watched it last night via Zune on Xbox) Yeah it's rather disappointing, unfortunately.
Old 05-07-10, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Well, I'm just silly then, ....because the very rare exception to zombie films are the gems like Shaun or 28 Days/Weeks....and until the next GREAT Romero zombie film comes out, I'll happily accept these "lesser" Romero zombie films. I cut him alot of slack simply because of who he is within the z-film genre. Even when he's "not as good as Dawn", he's better than most....not all, but definitely most. I mean, other than the titles I mentioned in this post, I'd be curious as to what z-films you'd find to be better than Romero's? There aren't many, if any.

Ever been to a horror film convention? I attended one in Detroit last weekend (Motor City Nightmares), and there was table after table after table of new filmmakers with a bunch of horrid-looking zombie films (but not horrid in a good way, lol). And by horrid, I mean "home-video-shot-by-teens" bad, even though the creators were much older than that.
Oh believe me I'm well aware of how many hacks and bullshit zombie movie are out there. I know first hand, my buddy was in a movie called Automaton Transfusion which got picked up by Dimension Extreme. Everything about it is pure shit. But to say Romero is still at the top of his class even in this sea of modern shit isn't right. Like I said nothing touches classic Romero though. But anyways, my list of zombie themed movies that have come out recently that I think are way better than Romeroes recent efforts, now granted some of these aren't pure zombie flicks but I'll list them anyways since they still deal with the subject.

Planet Terror
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Fido
Zombieland
Dead Snow
Versus
Deadgirl
Dance of the Dead
Slither
[REC]
Pontypool

now granted some of those could be put into question, some of them are more of infections storylines that straight up zombie flicks but my point is there are plenty of good options still if you're willing to wade through the crap. I respect Romero for what he used to be and his older catalog will still remain at the top of my list but I just don't think he has it any more.
Old 05-22-10, 05:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

just a bump to remind people who get HDNet movies that this will premiere Wednesday, May 26th at 8 PM ET, followed by encore presentations at 9:35 PM and 11:15 PM. Set it to record now, it's in your guides.
Old 05-28-10, 07:13 PM

Ok, my standards may have been really low going into this one after being really disappointed by Diary, but I kind of liked this. All the reviews say that there wasn't enough horror or gore, but I never really watched Romero's films for that - I mean, that's always cool and all, but I like when Romero has people doing and discussing things that added to zombie lore.

This one does that. The beginning is a little tough to get through, but as soon as everyone reconvenes back on the island, I thought it got pretty good. Solid ending - and unlike the other films where all the context and symbolism was force-fed to me, I actually picked up on it here and thought it was somewhat clever.

Also, the acting isn't nearly as bad as Diary. That was beyond awful.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Wallet Boy; 05-28-10 at 07:21 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.