Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future marvel & DC animated movies???

Old 10-26-08, 09:25 PM

Future marvel & DC animated movies???

Does anyone know what movies that Lionsgate and WP have in the pipelines when it comes to Marvel & DC animated movies? i know Hulk vs Wolverine is coming in January and WP has a Wonder Woman film planned
Old 10-26-08, 10:09 PM
Banned

Next time put a question mark on the title of the thread. They way you wrote it makes it seem like you have news about the releases and people that come to this thread will expect that.
Old 10-26-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DC has mentioned that after Wonder Woman, there would be a Green Lantern animated feature. Following that, an adaptation of the Superman/Batman storyline "Public Enemies." They announced a while back that they were also working on an adaptation of the Teen Titans storyline "The Judas Contract" too.

On the Marvel end, they have an 8 picture deal with Lionsgate with 5 already out the door (Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Iron Man, Dr. Strange and Next Avengers). After "Hulk Vs.", there's supposed to be a "Thor: Tales of Asgard" anthology feature to coincide with the live-action Thor film. The 8th feature is scheduled to be "Planet Hulk" based on the (really really really cool) storyline from a couple years back.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-27-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 11:36 PM

Mod note: As mentioned, when your topic is a question, please use question marks in the title so everyone know. Additionally since you seem to be asking about movies and not DVDs please use the right forum, Movie Talk in this case.
Old 10-27-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since the DC & Marvel animated films are Direct-To-DVD only, shouldn't this Thread have remained in the DVD Talk Forum? The question may have been confusing but the titles he asked about are meant for DVD/Blu-Ray only.
Old 10-27-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Judas Contract is currently "on hold." Too bad because I'd like to have seen that.
Old 10-27-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
I think Judas Contract is currently "on hold." Too bad because I'd like to have seen that.
Really? Dammit! That's the one I was most interested in.
Old 10-27-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Yeah, the reasoning was the public isn't familiar enough with the Teen Titans. That seems like BS to me, given the animated series.
Old 04-22-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Future marvel & DC animated movies???

Here's an article up at joblo.com about low-budget superhero films (http://www.joblo.com/marvel-developi...rhero-movies):

IRON MAN 2, which theaters in just about two weeks, has a budget around $295 bazillion dollars (this is just a rough estimate - don't quote me on that) but that doesn't mean every Marvel movie has to cost an arm and a leg. CHUD is reporting that Marvel Studios is looking to move forward on a number of lower-budgeted movies for some of their lesser-known characters.

Marvel has been quietly (or not-so quietly, I suppose...) meeting with writers and directors to discuss the prospect of developing some of these properties like Dr. Stranger, Luke Cage and Power Pack. These films (which wouldn't include the oft-rumored ANT MAN from Edgar Wright) would very likely be set up at Disney who is itching to get in on the superhero game.

It's an intriguing idea but reducing a budget and hiring more out-of-the-box talent doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate to anything worthwhile. The Thomas Jane PUNISHER movie had a budget of $15 million and was easily one of the worst modern-day superhero films I've seen (and honestly should've been one of the easiest films to pull off).

A good example of what Marvel would like to replicate is 1998's BLADE; a movie based on a character relatively unknown outside comic shops that grossed over $110 million worldwide and spawned two sequels.

So what characters would make the most sense? As mentioned above, I think Luke Cage is something of a no-brainer. It should be a fairly simple story that would require little in the way of expensive special effects. I'm sure some enterprising junior executive will eventually pitch 3-D MAN (pictured above) simply for the obvious format gimmick. I've always though Longshot would make a great movie but his universe may be too expensive to develop on screen on a low-budget.

I think Robert Rodriguez is born to direct Power Pack since he does good action movies starring children, and he is the master of making low-budget films look like big-budget ones.

Old 04-22-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Marvel has been quietly (or not-so quietly, I suppose...) meeting with writers and directors to discuss the prospect of developing some of these properties like Dr. Stranger, Luke Cage and Power Pack. These films (which wouldn't include the oft-rumored ANT MAN from Edgar Wright) would very likely be set up at Disney who is itching to get in on the superhero game.
A Dr. Stranger movie sounds creepy.
Old 04-22-10, 10:09 AM
Banned

ahahahaha....

Oddly enough I think RDJ would be a good Strange even though he's also currently Iron Man...and his stuff isn't getting rebooted like Evans
Old 04-22-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
ahahahaha....

Oddly enough I think RDJ would be a good Strange even though he's also currently Iron Man...and his stuff isn't getting rebooted like Evans
I'm not familiar with the property, but going by outward appearances alone, I think Ethan Hawke might also be a fit for Dr. Strange. He does have the facial hair to match, like RDJ. Going by that logic, maybe even Joseph Fiennes or Edward Norton (if Norton wasn't already Hulk).

For Dr. Stranger, I'd go with Jeffrey Combs.
Old 04-22-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dr. Strange? I'm sure the first choice of producers would be Johnny Depp, but i'm all for Vincent Gallo and Joaquin Phoenix.

Old 04-22-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about a Dr. Fate movie instead? Same difference.