Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Christopher Nolan Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Christopher Nolan Movie
The Dark Knight
39.02%
The Prestige
8.29%
Batman Begins
6.34%
Insomnia
2.44%
Memento
34.63%
Following
0.49%
It's too hard to choose
6.34%
All his movies suck
2.44%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Best Christopher Nolan Movie

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Following
Old 10-08-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memento
Old 10-08-08, 05:37 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I don't like to make generalizations, but whoever voted that "All his movies suck" is either a troll or an idiot. There is no other explanation.

What can I say? There wasn't a poll option for, "some suck, others are just mediocre".

So which am I, a troll or an idiot?
Old 10-08-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
1) Memento -- Still friggin' brilliant
2) The Dark Knight -- Best comic movie since Superman
3) The Prestige -- Yeah, the ending didn't make a lick of sense, but still it's fun in parts
4) Batman Begins -- I didn't get most of it. I admired it, but didn't like it much.
5) Insomnia -- Good acting, but not interesting to me. Inferior to the original.
This is how I would vote, as well.
Old 10-08-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I love his work. Memento is still my favorite, but The Prestige is a very close second. The Dark Knight would be third.
Old 10-08-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abe55
You knew it was coming.
Yes, I did. Web Bot predicted it.
Old 10-08-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
With all the TDK love on this forum I figured it would be a runaway poll. I'm glad to see Memento holding it's own.

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Memento is really a crackerjack piece of filmmaking, really. Even beyond the "gimmick", it raises so many questions about identity and memory and the inextricable relationship between guilt and vengeance that every time I watch it, I end up forming 37 different theories about what's really happening. And who KNOWS what's true? Not even the director. Awesome commentary track
Not to mention despite its limited release, Memento left a mark on entertainment culture forever. I can't say the short term memory thing hadn't been done before but after Memento it entered the lexicon forever and now is common to see it used.

I knew, leaving the theater after seeing Memento, that Nolan was one to watch. I even went to see Insomnia only because of Nolan. Not to mention Memento lingered in my head for over a week. I also was enamored with Guy Pierce. It's unfortunate that after this and LA Confidential he never became a huge star.

A list is unavoidable:

1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
5. Insomnia
Old 10-08-08, 10:54 PM

Good to see The Prestige receive more votes than the overrated Batman Begins.
Old 10-09-08, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The Dark Knight: Just a damn good movie; excellent acting, solid story, good action.
Memento: A damn good movie that relies heavily on a storytelling gimmick.
Batman Begins: Very solid film.
The Prestige: Bowie!
Insomnia: Probably the last great mainstream movie Al Pacino and Robin Williams have been in.
Old 10-09-08, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Memento
4. The Following
5. Insomnia
6. Batman Begins

Michael
Old 10-09-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My problem with most of Nolan's movies, even my favorite, is that they drag on a little too long. The Prestige, particularly, I feel becomes tiring by the end, despite a knockout of a twist.

I didn't like Following much. There were some interesting elements but it seemed tired and predictable. Batman Begins is far from an awful film, but it is fairly straightfoward, and now that we've seen The Dark Knight, it pales so much in comparison. The Prestige, as I mentioned, has great things in it but takes ten or so minutes too long to get there. Memento is pretty good, with some seriously great acting from Guy Pearce and various cast members, but it's occasionally slow and seems the tiniest bit in love with itself for its twist (or perhaps that's Leonard's personality).

I don't know what I'd rank first. On one hand, we'd have the criminally underrated Insomnia, which also deserves a slight trim, but otherwise is perhaps the last great performance we'll get out of Pacino. I haven't seen the original, but the movie is all atmosphere and Al's performance. "This is where your best friend's naked body was found, wrapped up in GARBAGE BAGS!" On the other hand, we'd have the stellar, hugely entertaining Dark Knight, again toplined by a stellar performance, this time from Heath Ledger (and Aaron Eckhart, when he's playing Harvey, for that matter). The Dark Knight has a worse length problem and nearly every peripheral character gives a performance equal in awfulness to the awesomeness of Ledger's ("I'm makin' a withdrawal here!").

I might give the edge to Insomnia just because it's so underrated.
Old 10-09-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Prestige
Memento
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Insomnia

never saw Following.
Old 10-09-08, 08:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
TDK. Memento comes in second. I thought The Prestige was a bit overrated.
Old 10-09-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
What can I say? There wasn't a poll option for, "some suck, others are just mediocre".
If you didn't think all of them sucked, then you shouldn't pick the option that says "they all suck." Simple.

Also, since this poll is just a relative ranking of one director's films, it doesn't really matter how you feel about the overall quality of them in comparison to all films. Therefore, even if you only felt that one of his films was "just mediocre," while the rest sucked, the mediocre film would then be better than any of his other films, and thus his best film.
Old 10-09-08, 03:00 PM

Memento was awesome but I had to give it to The Dark Knight
Old 10-09-08, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
If you didn't think all of them sucked, then you shouldn't pick the option that says "they all suck." Simple.

Also, since this poll is just a relative ranking of one director's films, it doesn't really matter how you feel about the overall quality of them in comparison to all films. Therefore, even if you only felt that one of his films was "just mediocre," while the rest sucked, the mediocre film would then be better than any of his other films, and thus his best film.
You make a valid argument, but my counter is that, by voting for one of his movies as his "best", it implies I think it's a good movie, or even a fair movie.
Old 10-09-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way to hard to vote for just one movie the man is genuis behind the camera and I can't wait for his next flim!
Old 10-09-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
You make a valid argument, but my counter is that, by voting for one of his movies as his "best", it implies I think it's a good movie, or even a fair movie.
Not at all. If, for example, someone started a "Best Uwe Boll movie" poll, it's unlikely that the majority of those voting would think that any of his films are actually good, but rather are all at variable levels of horrible.

However, if you do feel your vote could be misconstrued, this why poll threads also have posts: so you can clarify or go into more detail on your voting decision, i.e. "I thought ______ was his best film, but even that was just mediocre."
Old 10-09-08, 04:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
as the most entertaining film i think "Batman Begins" wins. i never had an affinity for "Memento".

but, for best directed i have to go with "The Dark Knight". i mean there were so many elements he had to deal with, so many sets and great actors working, that as a directed movie i think this is the best of his.
Old 10-09-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious which movie, wendersfan thinks sucks the least.
Old 10-09-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm curious which movie, wendersfan thinks sucks the least.
Since he's on record that Ocean's 12 was fantastic and Traffic was terrible, does it even matter at this point?
Old 10-09-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not to mention despite its limited release, Memento left a mark on entertainment culture forever. I can't say the short term memory thing hadn't been done before but after Memento it entered the lexicon forever and now is common to see it used.
Well that was quick. Case in point, tonight's episode of My Name is Earl.
Old 10-09-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen all of Christopher Nolan's movies except for Following, which I plan on remedying as soon as possible.

Memento, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are all in my top 20 of the decade with Memento being #3 overall, so I voted for that one.

1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Begins
4. Insomnia
5. The Prestige
Old 10-10-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
You know, the poll choice really should have been "I don't like any of his movies". I wouldn't agree with that position, but I could at least respect it. To say "All the movies suck" is just blatently wrong. Biodome sucks. Batman and Robin sucks. Nolan's movies have a level of quatlity and craftsmanship that elevate them beyond "suckiness", regardless of personal taste.
Old 10-10-08, 12:24 PM

I thought The Prestige was OK, and Batman Begins had an interesting look. I've liked nothing else.

I don't think I ever said Traffic was a bad movie. I just think it's a lesser effort for Soderbergh. I prefer The Limey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.