Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name some movies you'd like to see, but haven't (and explain why)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Alright, in this thread, we name some movies we'd like to see but just haven't gotten around to, and why. Optional: Antecedent posters can name one of your movies which they recommend you see right away.

Lawrence of Arabia (Lean, 1962)
It's long and I don't want to break up watching it. Now that there may or may not be a Blu-ray coming, I'm holding off even more.

El Topo (Jodorowsky, 1970)
I've been wanting to see this movie for years and it's unavailability on DVD had prevented me from doing so. Now, I just haven't gotten around to picking up the Jodorowsky box set.

Black Cat (Fulci, 1981)
Might be my longest-unwatched DVD. I bought it in the summer of 2001 and just haven't gotten around to seeing it. Don't know why, really.

I'll think of more later.
Old 09-17-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky) - I started it in the past but couldn't get into it at the time, and have since lost my "copy". I have it back in queue at Netflix but it's a ways off.

The Holy Mountain (Alejandro Jodorowsky) - Also in queue. I didn't know I wanted to see it til a couple years ago, and it just always slipped my mind.
Old 09-17-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The African Queen (Huston)
It's not on DVD, so that pretty much settles it.

New York, New York (Scorsese)
I have the DVD. It's Scorsese and DeNiro but for whatever reason I'm never in the mood to watch it.

A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavettes)
I've had the Criterion since it came out. I've watched 2 of the other films in the box set but not this one. I take it out of the case and proclaim "I will watch this tonight" but then when I get free time the long running time always deters me.
Old 09-17-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Two posts in a row calling out Jodorowsky. Whodathunk?

As for me:

Kagemusha
Heaven's Gate
Barry Lyndon

Just haven't been in the mood for long ones lately.
Old 09-17-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
these specific titles come to mind...guess i'm just not in the mood for them.

cinema paradiso
barry lyndon

and to the 2 posters above who are holding out on those jodorowsky movies...seriously you need to watch them.
Old 09-17-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age of Innocence. Scorsese and Day-Lewis are the drawcards, the period/premise always works against it. I get the feeling it may be another Last Temptation of Christ, which had Keitel, Dafoe and Scorsese attached, but never really worked for me.

P.T. Anderson's Hard Eight, purely because I can never find it. Anywhere.
Old 09-17-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To the 2 posters above who are holding out on Barry Lyndon... seriously you need to watch it. It's one of those Victorian period piece films that is actually really good. It's my favorite Kubrick film.
Old 09-17-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seven Samurai - It's long and I find it difficult to put together 3+ hours to devote to a film. I'm trying, though...

Doctor Zhivago - I bought this a while ago and I just haven't really felt a desire to watch it just yet. I think it's one of those titles I bought based on it's reputation, then realized it might not necessarily be something I'm into.
Old 09-17-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
To the 2 posters above who are holding out on Barry Lyndon... seriously you need to watch it. It's one of those Victorian period piece films that is actually really good. It's my favorite Kubrick film.
Listen to this guy.

This is my favorite Kubrick too.
Old 09-17-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Salo.

I've had it on DVD for years, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I'm a little scared to based on its reputation, but I have a feeling that when I do watch it I'll find it to be much tamer than it's built it up to be.
Old 09-17-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Salo.

I've had it on DVD for years, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I'm a little scared to based on its reputation, but I have a feeling that when I do watch it I'll find it to be much tamer than it's built it up to be.
You're right, but watch it anyways.
Old 09-17-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never seen the Big Lebowski. Been meaning to because it's quoted so often by everyone and everywhere, but just never got around to it and don't want to blind buy it.
Old 09-17-08, 07:46 PM
Banned

Seven Samurai and The Last emperor. ve had the multi-disk criterion sets since they were released but they are quite an effort it seems considering the length of the films and the amount of extras. its just quite a commitment that i havn't quite had the time for yet.
Old 09-17-08, 07:57 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Out 1, because not that many cinemas screen 13.5 hour films.
Through the Olive Trees, because Harvey and Bob are the twin horns of Satan.
Four Nights of a Dreamer, because I've never been in the right place at the right time.
Old 09-17-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh i just thought of 2 more...both of crispin glover's movies IT IS FINE. EVERYTHING IS FINE! and WHAT IS IT?

apparently he tours and does special screenings of these but he's never been around here. i also heard he probably won't put these out on dvd for another 10 years or something.
Old 09-17-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out 1: Spectre, because I made it to a screening of the full version, but couldn't make it the next week for Spectre because of a last minute family commitment.

Through the Olive Trees for the same reason as wendersfan.

Robinson Crusoe, The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz and Simon of the Desert because... well... it's Buñuel and those are the remaining of his prominent works I have yet to see. I've had chances at retrospectives, but circumstance got in the way.

Fear and Desire and The Seafarers because they are unavailable.

And Barry Lyndon is most certainly NOT Victorian... Try late 18th century.

The Crispin Glover features are quite the experiences. I look forward to It is Mine but he said that is far off in the horizon.
Old 09-17-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sundog
And Barry Lyndon is most certainly NOT Victorian... Try late 18th century.
Well, I was never really good with "ages".
Old 09-17-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's funny. The Crispin Glover film (I was aware there was a second) was also on my list initially.
Old 09-17-08, 10:30 PM

I will say The Godfather I-III. I have been meaning too, but I would rather watch it without commercials first off, and secondly, my sister is supposed to have it, but she loaned it off and has not seen or heard of it since, and I broke as hell, so I can't really get it. It does piss me off because I would like to see those films, but until I can see them in at least a passable presentation, I really don't want to.
Old 09-17-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the films I own, since I can't use the unavailable excuse:

The Wrong Man
Das Boot
Cul-de-sac
Holy Mountain
Salo
Contempt
Elevator to the Gallows
Mishima
Sawdust and Tinsel

...and far too many others.
Old 09-18-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I haven't seen the Man with No Name trilogy yet. I guess I will eventually.
Old 09-18-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
I will say The Godfather I-III.
Same for me. I bought the dvd set ages ago but every time I think about watching it, something turns me around.
Old 09-18-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blade Runner. I honestly don't know how this one slipped past me. Right now I'm just waiting for the free time to sit and watch it uninterrupted.
Old 09-18-08, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
three problems:

some of the esoteric films like Out 1, Colossal Youth, is that they are only shown in 35mm at museum midday/early afternoon times, which is more hard to pencil in than say at night.

then's there's my ever growing DVD collection, where all my new stuff gets thrown into the 'to watch' pile and well... who knows when I'll get to it:

lastly, DC in general is a really lame 'film town' so alot of truly indie/foreign films might not make it at all, so it's a waiting game for it's debut on home video for me. I had to wait for Brand Upon the Brain! to get released onto DVD before I could see it, a promised DC engagement never happened, and the only two close screenings of it (last year) were at the Virginia Film Festival (where it sold out really fast) and the Rehobeth Film Festival in Delaware.
Old 09-18-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
three problems:

some of the esoteric films like Out 1, Colossal Youth, is that they are only shown in 35mm at museum midday/early afternoon times, which is more hard to pencil in than say at night...
Hi Giles!

Thanks for mentioning Colossal Youth. Though I did manage to see it at the Pedro Costa retrospective in Chicago last year (a stunning work), I very much regret missing the majority of the program. I did see What Lies Behind Your Hidden Smile? but was hardly in the proper mode (far too sleepy) to fully appreciate it. His stuff is difficult, but so damned rewarding.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.