Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Friday the 13th Movie? (and worst?)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Friday the 13th Movie?
Friday the 13th
14.58%
Friday the 13th: Part 2
14.58%
Friday the 13th: Part 3
6.25%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
45.83%
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
0%
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part 6
10.42%
Friday the 13th: Part 7: The New Blood
0%
Friday the 13th: Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
0%
Friday the 13th: The Final Friday
0%
Jason X
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Best Friday the 13th Movie? (and worst?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Four, for all the elements previously mentioned, plus the totally random murder of the banana-eating hippie, and hot twins god dammit. Even Jason X, the shittiest Jason movie of them all could have been improved an entire letter grade with hot twins.

The worst things about Jason X were that android girl who the filmmakers obviously thought the audience liked but I thought was easily one of my least favorite movie characters ever, and Uber Jason looked mindbogglingly stupid. It was totally way cooler to see 80's Jason with his tattered clothes and hockey mask stomping around a spaceship.
Old 09-06-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I guess i'm in the extreme minority, but I LOVE Jason X. It is easily my favorite of this series.
Old 09-06-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RTisBetter
They're all stupid. They're all awful. None of them have a single redeeming quality as cinema or legitimate film worthy of dissection, critique, or actual review.

Spoiler:
Part 4 was kinda cool, though
I beg to differ. They may be low-brow, crass and "indistinguishable" but the fact remains that they represent a popular period of 80's horror films: the slasher sub-genre. No discussion about 80's horror can be had without mentioning the series itself and it's endless, increasingly violent sequels.

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I guess i'm in the extreme minority, but I LOVE Jason X. It is easily my favorite of this series.
I won't say I love it, but it certainly was WAY more fun than it had any right to be. Despite all of the cheese, which is plentiful, it had some great kills (liquid nitrogen? genius.) and Jason was pretty badass. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a sequel on Earth 2 with Uber-Jason stalking some off-world teens. Could be more of the same dumb fun.
Old 09-06-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 and 5 were my favorites growing up, but 2 and 6 seem hold up the best for me nowadays.
Old 09-06-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
For those curious, here's the thread that took place with this same topic back in 2003. Looks like the poll results currently match up pretty well with the trend then.

I voted for The Final Chaper as well. i enjoy all of the movies in this series. Sure they all have their flaws. The first 4 seem to fit well together. After that, it's obvious that a new gimmick had to be thrown in to resurrect (Jason) the series each time, whether that was a "copycat", a supernatural adversary or removing Jason from the camp/wooded setting. I may not have enjoyed them as much as the first four films, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I'll also add that while a few have voted for/mentioned Part 2, I think it's great. Something about seeing Jason as a human...him being chased/chasing others (actually running!), showing fear, the emotional connection with his mother.