Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Box (Richard Kelly, 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Box (Richard Kelly, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Box (Richard Kelly, 2009)

I'll check it out despite my hatred for Cameron Diaz. I loved both Donnie Darko and yes, Southland Tales.
Old 11-06-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebert
The writer-director, Richard Kelly, goes from A to Z using 52 letters, but his transitions flow so uncannily it's only when you look back that you realize you're off the road.
Sounds good to me
Old 11-06-09, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my god was this a complete mess of a film. saw it last night at a free screening.

i didn't like the
Spoiler:
sci-fi angle
at all. was not expecting that.
Old 11-06-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Stupid, stupid, stupid, this movie sucked. I saw it last night for free as well, glad I didn't have to pay to see this.

Spoiler:
was it a sci fi, is this supposed to be story on government control of its people? None of it made any sense. Another thing was there a point to this movie being set in the 70's.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 11-06-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Regarding the twist in the movie, is it
Spoiler:
That Langella is an alien and the Box shows that humans have no control over their own fates?
Sort of? (spoiler in case you don't want to know how different the film is from what you posted)
Spoiler:
It's more of a morality test: if humans aren't compassionate enough to choose another human life over their own material gain, then the aliens believe there's no reason to let humanity survive. And Langella is not entirely an alien. He was a human, but he was struck by lightning. The lightning is a form of alien travel, which implanted something into Langella's dead body, re-animating it with alien intelligence.
Since last night, I wrote a review, which is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40558/box-2009-the/

Last edited by tylergfoster; 11-06-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Sort of? (spoiler in case you don't want to know how different the film is from what you posted)
Spoiler:
It's more of a morality test: if humans aren't compassionate enough to choose another human life over their own material gain, then the aliens believe there's no reason to let humanity survive. And Langella is not entirely an alien. He was a human, but he was struck by lightning. The lightning is a form of alien travel, which implanted something into Langella's dead body, re-animating it with alien intelligence.
Since last night, I wrote a review, which is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40558/box-2009-the/
That sounds worse than Southland Tales. That was at least designed to be completely crazy, while this is like taking an old Victorian house, painting it pink, and filling the lawn with gnomes, flamingos, and other gew-gaws.
Old 11-06-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Actually, I think Langella isn't an alien, but rather a more God like being. Maybe the Martians were the original test subjects who failed and they were destroyed by this God like creature (or species). (I also found it funny how the woman always chose to push the button, kind of like Eve eating the forbidden fruit.)

I loved where the movie started pre-button push, liked where it ended with the 2nd choice, and really was confused by the middle. It's obvious that after three films, Kelly doesn't know how to film a movie less than 3 hours. With a thriller like this, it is hard to cut out 1/3 of the film's 2nd act. Too often we saw how one character went from point A to point C without ever getting to point B -- as one reviewer stated. Too much missing information in the middle chunk of the movie and too much unseen manual crap a la Donnie Darko (what was the point of the 3 water chambers???)

Last edited by Mittman; 11-06-09 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone, I thought it a complete disaster. I liked the sets, and the look of it... and james marsden deserved a better role to shine, I liked seeing him walking through the NASA sets. I almost wish they just tossed the script out and created a 70s family drama instead. This was just Knowing part II, Kelly has some good ideas but is a terrible writer
Old 11-07-09, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mittman
Spoiler:
(I also found it funny how the woman always chose to push the button, kind of like Eve eating the forbidden fruit.)
Spoiler:
At first I wondered if this was a tad condescending or played too much into stereotypes, but then it occurred to me: the women in the film are generally back home before the men, so Langella probably ends up visiting the women alone 90% of the time, giving them more time to think it over and ultimately more inclination to push the button. Clever.
Old 11-07-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I really really don't understand why this movie got so many bad reviews. It's not complicated (although it is complex) and I thought it was deliciously eerie. It could've used a good 10 or 15 minutes cut out of it but otherwise I thought it was really, really rewarding. But I understand I'm way out on the wilderness on this one.

At the end of my showing, a guy stood up and yelled, "What the hell was that?" and then began to berate the movie.
Old 11-07-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
At the end of my showing, a guy stood up and yelled, "What the hell was that?" and then began to berate the movie.
I saw a late showing of the movie last night to a semi packed crowd. While no one left during the showing, as soon as the credits hit I heard a lot of talk of confusion among the various groups. I sense this movie will have a ton of backlash.

For those unaware of what a Richard Kelly movie is like, they are in for quite a shock after they buy their tickets!

I think I will need to watch this again, as all Kelly's movies before I reach my final verdict.
Old 11-07-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Bus
I really really don't understand why this movie got so many bad reviews. It's not complicated (although it is complex) and I thought it was deliciously eerie.
Agreed.
Old 11-08-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I really enjoyed it, but Kelly did seem to have some weirdness thrown in for weirdness' sake. Maybe some of that would have been better explained in a longer cut. One major thing I really didn't care for...
Spoiler:
It seemed a bit ludicrous that the button pushing of one couple corresponded perfectly in time to someone from the previous couple dying. The coincidence of it sort of suggested that the couples being tested weren't in control of their fates and perhaps not even responsible for their actions. Since the movie went wholeheartedly with the alien angle, I would've rather Langella tell the post-box couple that when the next couple pushes the button, a member of their family will die. Then make them choose which one.

That said, the movie had a great creepy atmosphere and strong performances. Most if it played out like a mixture of X-Files and Twilight Zone at their best. I'd say it was definitely better than Southland Tales, which was ambitious, but too incoherent for its own good.
Old 11-08-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

And here's yet another version of this same basic story called "The Button"

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_44b3d8f432"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=44b3d8f432" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=44b3d8f432" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_44b3d8f432" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 11-08-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it yesterday, liked it a lot. Some of it is confusing but overall it is easy to follow. It felt like a feature-length Twilight Zone episode for sure.
Old 11-08-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought this was Kelly's best work, well-executed and it's ethereal atmosphere refined from his previous attempts. The creepy factor was particularly cool, as opposed to cheap thrills. There were some slow moments to which the film would benefit by their cutting/tightening.

Originally Posted by Mittman
Spoiler:
Actually, I think Langella isn't an alien, but rather a more God like being. Maybe the Martians were the original test subjects who failed and they were destroyed by this God like creature (or species). (I also found it funny how the woman always chose to push the button, kind of like Eve eating the forbidden fruit.)

I loved where the movie started pre-button push, liked where it ended with the 2nd choice, and really was confused by the middle. It's obvious that after three films, Kelly doesn't know how to film a movie less than 3 hours. With a thriller like this, it is hard to cut out 1/3 of the film's 2nd act. Too often we saw how one character went from point A to point C without ever getting to point B -- as one reviewer stated. Too much missing information in the middle chunk of the movie and too much unseen manual crap a la Donnie Darko (what was the point of the 3 water chambers???)
Spoiler:
Good observation on the Martian/prior test civilization angle. I missed that as a connection, which definitely makes sense. I didn't see what was "missing" from the film; what did you think needed explaining? As far as the 3 water chambers, my thought on that was Arthur chose the right chamber as he did not get arrest or have to flee from his house like his co-worker, who ended up being killed in that wreck. The NSA was going to take care of him and his son, which I took at face-value as opposed to something sinister.

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I really enjoyed it, but Kelly did seem to have some weirdness thrown in for weirdness' sake. Maybe some of that would have been better explained in a longer cut. One major thing I really didn't care for...
Spoiler:
It seemed a bit ludicrous that the button pushing of one couple corresponded perfectly in time to someone from the previous couple dying. The coincidence of it sort of suggested that the couples being tested weren't in control of their fates and perhaps not even responsible for their actions. Since the movie went wholeheartedly with the alien angle, I would've rather Langella tell the post-box couple that when the next couple pushes the button, a member of their family will die. Then make them choose which one.
Spoiler:
I wonder if it had been done that way so that it would show the choice of Diaz being shot was because someone had pushed the button, as opposed to it being simultaneous, and thus forced. I mean, if you showed the other couple pushing the button beforehand, you would know that Diaz would be shot. Although the argument could be made that if their son was left blind and deaf, that would count as a death. Which then gets into the whole angle of "your actions will have greater ramifications" and "you will be tested on your altruism" as to whether it's greedy to ask your child to live deaf and blind but a million dollars richer or altruistic because you will have to take care of him for the rest of your life.
Old 11-09-09, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Donnie Darko is a film that grows on me with every viewing - a favorite of mine to be sure. Just based on the one time I saw Southland Tales though I'm not convinced I need to ever revisit that film as it was wildly disjointed and frustrating. The Box, in my eyes at least, completely redeems Kelly for Southland Tales. In fact, I feel like this may very well be his best film - though I will need more time to mull it over and to see it again. I downright loved it.

And by the way - who else LOVED the score? I thought that was one of the most phenomenal scores I've heard in any film all year.

Last edited by GenPion; 11-09-09 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by gmanca
Spoiler:
Good observation on the Martian/prior test civilization angle. I missed that as a connection, which definitely makes sense. I didn't see what was "missing" from the film; what did you think needed explaining? As far as the 3 water chambers, my thought on that was Arthur chose the right chamber as he did not get arrest or have to flee from his house like his co-worker, who ended up being killed in that wreck. The NSA was going to take care of him and his son, which I took at face-value as opposed to something sinister.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure Mardsen gets arrested. My guess is that those who choose wrong essentially end up as one of the zombie-like mob, with their soul getting eternally damned (like the Langella's wife says) and the body remaining as a vessel for Langella to control.

What's missing is what happens to Cameron Diaz after the men grab her while they're taking her son, and how James Marsden gets from the scene of the accident to the inside of a mysterious hangar.
Originally Posted by gmanca
Spoiler:
I wonder if it had been done that way so that it would show the choice of Diaz being shot was because someone had pushed the button, as opposed to it being simultaneous, and thus forced. I mean, if you showed the other couple pushing the button beforehand, you would know that Diaz would be shot. Although the argument could be made that if their son was left blind and deaf, that would count as a death. Which then gets into the whole angle of "your actions will have greater ramifications" and "you will be tested on your altruism" as to whether it's greedy to ask your child to live deaf and blind but a million dollars richer or altruistic because you will have to take care of him for the rest of your life.
Spoiler:
This is my question. Personally, I think not killing the wife is the correct answer, since it ends with all three people alive, even if the son is remarkably handicapped. Langella's overall goal seems to be provoking the human race into saving itself...
Old 11-09-09, 05:02 AM

I saw this Sunday night and found it quite entrancing. It's interesting that this film is titled what it is, as Kelly makes films that are very much outside the box and I hope he doesn't change. While I feel that this is the weakest of his three works, it's still full of intriguing ideas. I will say that this is Kelly's most elegant film to date. The look lended it a certain class. I loved the 70's decor and particularly the NASA sets. Of course, then there's Langella who has an air of elegance about him, even with half his face missing.

The story itself has a few hiccups, perhaps due to being cut down from Kelly's nearly three hour original. I don't think this material needs to be that long though, and what's here works well enough. I liked how the film plays with your expectations at one point in reference to the Twilight Zone episode. And hey, Cameron Diaz wasn't as irritating as usual. That in itself is some accomplishment.

Last edited by J. Farley; 11-09-09 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the film but couldn't see how it would work at three hours.
Old 11-09-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
Donnie Darko is a film that grows on me with every viewing - a favorite of mine to be sure. Just based on the one time I saw Southland Tales though I'm not convinced I need to ever revisit that film as it was wildly disjointed and frustrating. The Box, in my eyes at least, completely redeems Kelly for Southland Tales. In fact, I feel like this may very well be his best film - though I will need more time to mull it over and to see it again. I downright loved it.

And by the way - who else LOVED the score? I thought that was one of the most phenomenal scores I've heard in any film all year.

Agreed. I was thinking that during the movie, but forgot to mention it earlier. Great score.
Old 11-09-09, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based off the trailers....it doesn't look like Langella's face is very convincing. Bothers the hell out of me when I see the trailers.
Old 11-09-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
And here's yet another version of this same basic story called "The Button"

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_44b3d8f432"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=44b3d8f432" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=44b3d8f432" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_44b3d8f432" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
If the movie was like this video, I'd go see it.
Old 11-12-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted to like this film a lot more than I did. Really enjoyed the initial concept, atmosphere, score, and set up. However, I felt a little let down by the second half. Don't know what I was expecting, just hoped that it would be more... clever, I guess.

Either way, I'm glad I saw it. Kelly makes the type of films that I like to see and try to support - even if I didn't particularly connect with his last two efforts. I still think he shows a lot of promise as a writer/director.
Old 11-14-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the film. The atmosphere and score fit very well with the story. It was refreshing to see a movie with at least an attempt to be different. Id definitely see it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.