Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Best Picture of the past ten years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Worst Best Picture of the past ten years
No Country For Old Men
2.42%
The Departed
2.42%
Crash
33.33%
Million Dollar Baby
1.45%
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3.38%
Chicago
18.84%
A Beautiful Mind
6.28%
Gladiator
9.18%
American Beauty
3.38%
Shakespeare in Love
19.32%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Best Picture of the past ten years

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I voted for Shakespeare in Love, a stupid movie and Miramax practically bought the best picture oscar. It beating Saving Private Ryan still shocks me almost ten years later.
Old 09-04-08, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thin Red Line > Saving Private Ryan and should have won that year.
Old 09-04-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Hard to pick between Crash and Million Dollar Baby...matter of fact I still can't believe either of them won.
Old 09-04-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked Shakespeare in Love but the worst of all-time is Driving Miss Daisy (1987).
I mean come on it should have been Robocop for Best Picture in 1987.
Old 09-05-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crash, that thieving Lifetime Movie of the Week. Was I a Brokeback fan? Yes. Do I think Brokeback deserved to win? If not Brokeback, the Academy shoulda been more ballsy and picked another film with more merit, like Munich.

I'm a little disappointed No Country won (especially over There Will Be Blood), but it is a worthy film.

The rest, I'm good with or indifferent to.
Old 09-05-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe so many people hated Crash. Granted it wasn't the best movie but I didn't think it was much worse than the other nominees.
Old 09-05-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
I can't believe so many people hated Crash. Granted it wasn't the best movie but I didn't think it was much worse than the other nominees.
It doesn't age well is its issue. That and flaws/cliches become a little more evident with each viewing.
Old 09-05-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Tie between Shakespeare in Love and Crash.

Shakespeare was little more than a pretentious, sappy romantic comedy.

Crash was poor man's Altman. Even worse than Magnolia.
Old 09-05-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
What about Full Metal Jacket or Wings of Desire?
Old 09-05-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shakespeare in Love.
Old 09-05-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chicago
Old 09-05-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crash by a long shot. I despise that movie.
Old 09-05-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
It doesn't age well is its issue. That and flaws/cliches become a little more evident with each viewing.
Then again, if a movie as intense as Brokeback Mountain can win best picture, it'll probably restore legitimacy to the Oscars.
Old 09-05-08, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I absolutely hated A Beautiful Mind. Pure cinematic torture. Pain. Indescribable pain. Jennifer Connelly is dead to me, after this and Hulk.
Old 09-05-08, 07:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I picked Shakespeare in Love but the worst of all-time is Driving Miss Daisy (1987).
The Last Emperor won in 87...Driving Miss Daisy was 89
Old 09-05-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E. Honda
Jennifer Connelly is dead to me, after this and Hulk.
Jennifer Connelly is the best thing about most films in which she features. Especially A Beautiful Mind.
Old 09-05-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I voted American Beauty because I can't stand the smug condescension, rank stereotypes masquerading as profound analysis and absurd overscripting of that movie. It may not be the worst movie I've ever seen from a technical perspective but it's simultaneously too pat and extremely hypocritical. It's a lefty European's fantasy of what suburban America is really all about, even though he's never been there and would never deign to talk to any actual suburbanites.

Guess what, you'll never believe this, that ex-military type with the Nazi fixation who was quite nasty to the nice gay couple is really a repressed homo! Amazing, huh? What a unique character twist!

Also, the suburban wife/real estate agent is really a shallow, self-pitying, materialistic Republican capable of murder! I'm not joking!

Also, that mild-mannered dad? He really wants to boff his daughter's friends and buy a Firebird! Outrageous, right?

Lastly, the artsy son/drug dealer who likes videoing plastic bags and peeping the neighbors' chesty daughter is really the concience of the community and the only one with true humanity! Isn't that always the way?

Does anyone have a rolleyes about ten feet in diameter? I guess what bothered me most is how many people bought into this bullshit.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-05-08 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I voted American Beauty because I can't stand the smug condescension, rank stereotypes masquerading as profound analysis and absurd overscripting of that movie. It may not be the worst movie I've ever seen from a technical perspective but it's simultaneously too pat and extremely hypocritical. It's a lefty European's fantasy of what suburban America is really all about, even though he's never been there and would never deign to talk to any actual suburbanites.

Guess what, you'll never believe this, that ex-military type with the Nazi fixation who was quite nasty to the nice gay couple is really a repressed homo! Amazing, huh? What a unique character twist!

Also, the suburban wife/real estate agent is really a shallow, self-pitying, materialistic Republican capable of murder! I'm not joking!

Also, that mild-mannered dad? He really wants to boff his daughter's friends and buy a Firebird! Outrageous, right?

Lastly, the artsy son/drug dealer who likes videoing plastic bags and peeping the neighbors' chesty daughter is really the concience of the community and the only one with true humanity! Isn't that always the way?

Does anyone have a rolleyes about ten feet in diameter? I guess what bothered me most is how many people bought into this bullshit.

That isn't really bullshit to buy into. It's an entertaining, funny, well-made flick with somewhat standard character archs (though I disagree that the wife was capable of murder, and the dad was still mild-mannered and infact didn't boff his daughter's friend -- actually his mid-life crisis bit wasn't that far from reality, save for the job stuff.) The only thing I really hated about it, was its condescending ad campaign.

That said, you can't pick AB apart without noticing just how glaring and obvious every scene in Crash is.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-05-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
That isn't really bullshit to buy into. It's an entertaining, funny, well-made flick with somewhat standard character archs (though I disagree that the wife was capable of murder. ) The only thing I really hate about it, was its somewhat condescending ad campaign.
You're right, it's not that bad a movie.

I just couldn't stand the reactions of some people to it: "You've got to see it! It really makes you think!!!!!" Please. It's more obvious and predictable than Transformers (a movie I happen to like... ).

That said, you can't pick AB apart without noticing just how glaring and obvious every scene in Crash is.
Haven't seen it. My wife, who has seen it, confirms your point.
Old 09-05-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Crash. You want a head scratcher, check out Netflix's Top 100. This piece of shit of a movie has been #1, and no lower, than #3 for well over the past year. WTF?!? How do they contrive that top 100 list? They must have 2 copies of that film and whoever got them destroyed the disc for the sake of humanity. It seriously boggles my mind.

In my opinion, Shakespeare in Love was the worst of the nominees that year. Any of the other 4 would have been better. My preference would have been for The Thin Red Line.
Old 09-05-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Going with Crash as well. A mediocre Lifetime movie at best.
Old 09-05-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
You're right, it's not that bad a movie.

I just couldn't stand the reactions of some people to it: "You've got to see it! It really makes you think!!!!!" Please. It's more obvious and predictable than Transformers (a movie I happen to like... ).

Haven't seen it. My wife, who has seen it, confirms your point.
Yeah... If American Beauty is a slap to the face with obviousnses, Crash is a sledgehammer to the skull with it.

I tend to agree though, American Beauty wasn't particularly heady material. And yeah, it was predictable.
Old 09-05-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Crash by far. One of the most offensively bad movies I've ever seen. I hated nearly every character in that flick. The plot was non-existent, the coincidental link between everyone was absurd, and the message was about as subtle as a bullhorn. And frankly the acting and writing was terrible.

I've been very disappointed by the last 3 Best Picture winners, but Crash takes the prize as the worst due to its condescension.
Old 09-05-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Crash by far. One of the most offensively bad movies I've ever seen. I hated nearly every character in that flick. The plot was non-existent, the coincidental link between everyone was absurd, and the message was about as subtle as a bullhorn. And frankly the acting and writing was terrible.
What he said.
Old 09-05-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the reason I quit watch Academy Awards. Their picks aren't always great... past 10 years, none of the winners deserved to win best picture. I picked Crash because I stopped watch it after first 10 minutes - it's just plain horrible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.