Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

I guess I'm stupid or maybe I missed something when I stepped out to use the restroom, but:
Spoiler:
Is there any indication Eli is blind OTHER than the fact that he can read Braille? I know he has a good sense of smell and good hearing, but there were several indications he could see in the film: for example, he knew the engineer's finger was on the trigger of the shotgun, and he knew the old couple's hands were shaking,
Old 01-18-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I really wish they would have pulled a serious bait and switch and made the book
Spoiler:
The Qur'an.
Agree that might have made a boring and predictable movie at least worth it in the end.

I have to go on the hated it side especially since
Spoiler:
The book that is supposed to save the world could be argued to have damaged it more than any other book in history.
Old 01-18-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
Spoiler:
The book that is supposed to save the world could be argued to have damaged it more than any other book in history.
They briefly made that point in the movie though, which was good. I think that's the first time that I've seen a movie acknowledge the damage or self-fullfilling prophecies that the bible could bring to the world.
Old 01-19-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all, I laugh at all the people who are pissed at what this ends up being about. It seems the last pro-Christian movie to come along was The Passion, so cram it. Let us have our movie once every 10 years, y'all can treat it as fiction.

Regarding the movie itself:

Spoiler:
My friends and I were discussing the fact that I thought that Eli was blind before his journey began, and once he got the message, he regained his sight for the journey. Once he started reciting the bible for transcription, he went blind again, because his journey was over. I could be overthinking it tho.
Old 01-19-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I have to go on the hated it side especially since
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They addressed that in the movie..
Old 01-19-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
maybe Eli's vision was just getting progressively worse through out the film? Didn't he take off his sunglasses in earlier scenes in which his eyes weren't all foggy? Maybe those were perscription sunglasses for really bad vision.
Old 01-19-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I guess I'm stupid or maybe I missed something when I stepped out to use the restroom, but:
Spoiler:
Is there any indication Eli is blind OTHER than the fact that he can read Braille? I know he has a good sense of smell and good hearing, but there were several indications he could see in the film: for example, he knew the engineer's finger was on the trigger of the shotgun, and he knew the old couple's hands were shaking,
Spoiler:
There are a lot of clues, if you think back. In the opening scene (cat shot), Eli makes a noise before shooting the cat, arguably to make the cat respond with a noise so Eli could locate the cat by sound. When Eli visits the first shack (with the dead hanging guy), he runs into a table, he uses his hands to examine the shelf, he uses his hands to locate and aim the facet, he uses his hands to locate the dead hanging body (notice his initial response is to the explosion of gases from the closed off room, and he reacts most to smell in this scene). Whenever Eli is shown reading the book, his hand is on the page. When he is shown reading the book early in the movie, his eyes appear to be closed as he mouths words. He is often shown reading the book outside the general bright light locations in a room (like in the Orpheum room where the light was on the table and he was against the wall by the door reading). When he meets Solara's mom in the room at the Orpheum, he uses a common deaf motion to identify his location. At the home of the old couple, he misses the large sign, he uses his feet to locate the steps (by kicking them).

As for the items you mentioned, the shopkeeper/engineer was clearly nervous and someone with Eli's capabilities would know they likely have a finger on the trigger. The woman's hands shaking were causing the china to rattle rather loudly.

Overall, I enjoyed Eli. I give it a solid B as some scenes did drag on a bit.
Old 01-23-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Another case of style over substance I'm afraid. There just wasn't a lot to care about really... everyone was reasonably fine but I guess I was just hoping for something a little more. I was dissapointed to see the book placed next to all the other books at the end, as if there were any comparison... kinda made the whole thing self-defeating and pointless. Between T4, The Road and now this... I've had my fill of apocalyptic movies for awhile.
Old 01-23-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
First of all, I laugh at all the people who are pissed at what this ends up being about. It seems the last pro-Christian movie to come along was The Passion, so cram it.
I'm afraid I can't quite go along with it being a pro-Christian movie... tho it did have some decent spiritual themes, which I always like to see. I'm not quite as cynical with regards to movies being pro or anti this or that... I find a lot to agree with and disagree with in movies, keeps em interesting.
Old 01-23-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I didn't care for this movie. It had some great ideas and wasted them, and once they hit the road the movie grinds to a halt.

I was kind of hoping
Spoiler:
Denzel's character ultimately wanted to use it for evil

Last edited by RichC2; 01-23-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-23-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought this was a good, not great, movie. I do have a hard time buying some of Denzel's abilities when he's apparently blind, but I guess you can just write it off as his being a prophet and having some enhanced natural senses. He certinaly did kick an unholy amount of ass, which was awesome.

The thing that bothered me more than anything was that we're in a ravaged, post-apocalypse and yet Mila Kunis looks like she just walked out of a Pantene commercial with her silky hair and perfect makeup.

Oldman was solid, but I thought he'd be a little more crazy.

The reveal of the book didn't surprise me at all, although my friend and I commented on how, now that there's a Bible back in humans' hands, the cycle will start all over again. Eli was delivering the same thing that caused all the chaos in the first place.

Loved the cinematography. It prob could have been cut by about 15 min, but nothing really dragged the film down.

I'd give it a 84/100.
Old 01-26-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it.

I really liked the film.

Great way for the Hughes Brothers to return to directing.
Old 01-27-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could see this, but I hate Denzel Washington.
Old 01-27-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Then you don't wish you could see this, you wish you could recast it.
Old 01-27-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Then you don't wish you could see this, you wish you could recast it.
True
Old 01-27-10, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
This is pretty harsh to say you hate somebody. I don't get how people can hate someone they don't know.
Old 01-27-10, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would it be better phrased you hate his acting maybe? I mean, I don't hate Megan Fox but I don't think her acting's amazing of course......that's not why they cast her but still.
Old 01-27-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
This is pretty harsh to say you hate somebody. I don't get how people can hate someone they don't know.
Just hate his acting. Probably the only big name actor that I can't stand to watch.
Old 02-10-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally got around to see this tonight and I really liked it. It wasn't great but I was entertained through out it and Thought Denzel and Mila Kunis did a good job. Mila Kunis needs to be in more movies she is beautiful.

I liked the ending though I didnt 100% buy Mila Kunis's characters choice at the end though. The one thing I didnt like is the look of the movie. some of the town stuff and some scenes made it feel like a low budget cheap movie. I dont like when they have the clouds moving fast as they did hear. and limited color palette didnt do much for me. The world was alittle to Baron.

but overall I really liked the movie and love seeing Mila Kunis 8/10
Old 02-11-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just surprised a movie with such mature themes on spirituality, the bible, and religion was given an A budget and such a good cast.

The longer I've thought about the film the more I've come to appreciate it.

Great movie.
Old 02-11-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by officialaccount
Pretty much all of my rant will be a spoiler
Spoiler:

I hated this freaking movie! What some blind guy wandering around the desert is supposed to be good? I mean seriously with all the bibles that have been printed its going to be impossible to destroy them all in the first place. Also how was able to read if he was BLIND! When the girl from that 70's show was sent to go do him, he was reading up against the door!
Someone missed the reveal....
Old 02-11-10, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wlmowery
Someone missed the reveal....
...or didn't even see the movie. Let's not feed the troll.
Old 02-11-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'm just surprised a movie with such mature themes on spirituality, the bible, and religion was given an A budget and such a good cast.

Great movie.
It was an adult movie but the entire story was so "safe" that it felt like a copout.

Then again, the reason it likely got funding was because it played it safe from beginning to end, this was also its downfall.
Old 02-11-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

Great movie.
I dont know about the budget, Money looks to go to Denzel, cause I thought the movie looked cheap in some scenes. it was one of the problems I had with it. The quick moving sky looked cheap to me and some of the wide shots of the town didnt look very good. But the movie was pretty good. I just didnt care for the look and color palette used.
Old 02-11-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
It was an adult movie but the entire story was so "safe" that it felt like a copout.

Then again, the reason it likely got funding was because it played it safe from beginning to end, this was also its downfall.
It got the 80 million dollar budget mostly because it was Denzel's baby I guess, he was the producer.

80 million is an A list budget, nothing extreme in today's 'Transformers' and 'Avatar'-sized budgets, but $80 million is an A budget.

The movie played it straight, that's the way I would describe it. It wasn't a run of the mill 'look at those despicable Christians' movie that is the bulk of religion in Hollywood, nor was it a syrupy sweet 'only the religious are pure' puff piece either.

Without spoiling anything I can say the film deals powerfully with how 'religion' -the bible- is used by evil men to destroy lives, manipulate people, wreak havoc, and bring about apocalypse. But the bible is also a powerful book that holds the key to simple morality, and truth, and will call good things out of people they themselves may not know are in them. It will inspire men to do great things and sacrifice for it. Basically God's power comes from 'the words in that book', but men can shape that power in many ways on this earth for good or evil.

This, firstly, may the thing I respect the most about the film. This is a comparatively mature film about the bible and its impact on mankind. The simple fact is most of that impact is clever and/or outright evil men using the bible to lead people around by their noses, all to get power and money. This is much of the world of religion today, it was much of the religion of any time in the past. This film is not pablum on that topic. It's also about faith and the cost of having real faith.

I also like the way the Hughes Brothers are completely ambiguous about
Spoiler:
about whether Eli is blind. Though many drew the conclusion they wanted to, the film does not actually confirm or deny it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.