Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: New LIVE ACTION Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film in the works...

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given that turtle is wearing what looks like Zaeed's armour from Mass Effect 2/Mass Effect 3, I'm inclined to assume it was meant as a "just for fun" sketch. At least I hope so.
That's what I believe as well.

Why would this rapper turned actor ever be given concept art from the movie as a gift in the first place? That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 04-10-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
That's what I believe as well.

Why would this rapper turned actor ever be given concept art from the movie as a gift in the first place? That makes absolutely no sense.
More then likely he's being included because he'd be a "hip" voice actor for a Turtle. That's the only reason I can think of for bringing in someone like him into the pre-production phase. Well, I also suppose he might have been a guest...
Old 04-10-12, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob
More then likely he's being included because he'd be a "hip" voice actor for a Turtle. That's the only reason I can think of for bringing in someone like him into the pre-production phase. Well, I also suppose he might have been a guest...
But why would he have ever been given concept art as a gift? He may have seen some concept art, but its just too unbelievable that they actually gave him some as a gift. Wouldn't they also have made him sign an NDA so he couldn't share what he had seen?

I just find it too unbelievable that this is anything but a fun sketch and not actually a concept for the movie.

Oh and maybe he isn't a Turtle voice actor but rather the new Vanilla Ice character...
Old 04-10-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

No. He's gonna be a new hip Master Splinter.
Old 04-10-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The title change is probably so "Joe Public" doesn't confuse this with any of the prior films. And for the last time, no one has come out and said the Turtles WERE aliens...they simply said they were of "alien origin" which is EXACTLY what happens in the comics...the ooze that turns them into speaking/ninja-fighting turtles is from an alien race.
Old 06-08-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Ninja Turtles coming to Vancouver?

Word in casting and pre-production circles around town is that the big-screen reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is heading to Vancouver for a late summer or early fall filming start.

The reboot will be called simply Ninja Turtles because - sacrilege! - the new version will have the hard-shell warriors as aliens, not as mutated teenage turtles as in the original comic book, films and cartoons.

The biggest name behind the reboot is director Michael Bay (Transformers) who will produce the film, handing over directing duties to Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans).

Also behind the scenes on the movie are the writers behind the Tom Cruise hit Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

Internet chatter says the new turtle movie will be a more grounded, gritty take on the characters, which probably means the turtles' pizza fetish is history.

The movie is scheduled to hit theatres December 2013. Here's the imdb one-liner on plot: "Aliens invade Earth and inadvertently spawn a quartet of mutated reptile warriors, the Ninja Turtles, who rise up against them to defend the world."

Sounds like the Transformers template, with the odd "cowabunga" thrown in. Or maybe they'll ditch the 1990s surfer lingo too, given the whole grounded, gritty thing.

And don't expect actors in turtle suits to be doing the high-kicking. The makers will likely go the motion-capture route that worked so well in the Vancouver-filmed Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

http://www.theprovince.com/entertain...688/story.html
Old 06-08-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So apparently you haven't read the last page or two in this thread.
Old 06-08-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
So apparently you haven't read the last page or two in this thread.
Where is a post that mentions they are filming in Vancouver in late summer early fall?

If you can point it out to me I will be more than happy to delete my post.
Old 06-08-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic
Where is a post that mentions they are filming in Vancouver in late summer early fall?

If you can point it out to me I will be more than happy to delete my post.
Who gives a crap where it's being filmed? A lot of movies are shot in Vancouver. It's cost effective.

The fact that you bolded the part of them being aliens made it seem like you were dropping a bombshell we've known for a month and a half.
Old 06-08-12, 01:51 AM
Banned

Its being filmed in Vancouver because the turtles are now Canadian.

"Cowabunga, eh"
Old 06-08-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
Who gives a crap where it's being filmed? A lot of movies are shot in Vancouver. It's cost effective.

The fact that you bolded the part of them being aliens made it seem like you were dropping a bombshell we've known for a month and a half.
It's post FAIL on my end. I tried to be sneak out of that one.
Old 06-08-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In Sonic's defense, his post confirms that the Alien angle in the new movie isn't limited to the orgin of the Ooze but rather that the film will be about a full blown alien invasion.

I find it hilarious that they mention the script will be from "the writers behind the Tom Cruise hit Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol". M:i-GP was shot without a script. They were making shit up on the set.
Old 06-08-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

No. He's gonna be a new hip Master Splinter.
Splinter, voice by by RZA.
Old 06-15-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles Reboot Delayed

Paramount Pictures has postponed the planned release of the upcoming Platinum Dunes reboot, Ninja Turtles. Originally set for release on Christmas Day, 2013, the project's start has been pushed back by 10 weeks and is now targeting a May 16, 2014 release. This is the same date as Marvel Studios' untitled film.

Michael Bay is producing with Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans) directing from a screenplay by Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). The turtles are expected to be motion capture CGI, much like what we saw in last year's Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

The franchise, which began as a black and white comic book series in 1984, rose to tremendous popularity when it became an animated series in 1987. Following the first live-action film in 1990, the series spawned two live-action sequels, a live-action television series, a second animated series and a CGI feature film.

SuperHeroHype recently posted a list of who they'd like to see in the movie which you can read here.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91574
Old 06-15-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Apparently they need a few more weeks to come up with new ways to piss off the fan-base.
Old 06-15-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should cancel the project.
Old 06-15-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paramount really has no clue what they're doing right now, do they? Potential (likely) sucking of the film aside, opening against anything Marvel seems like a terrible idea.
Old 06-15-12, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather watch "Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation" than any of this new .
Great news, Shout! Factory will be releasing Vol.1 of the series on DVD September 4th.
Old 06-18-12, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TMNT stuff, Movie stuff, etc.

21:55 - What inspired TMNT

30:00 - Star Wars influence on the backstory

47:25 - Discusses Nickelodeon's new animated show

51:15 - Describes his involvement with Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles

52:15 - Comments on fan's negative reaction to Bay's Alien race remarks, and defends Michael Bay as a filmmaker

1:01:30 - April O'Neil will NOT be a sixteen year old in Bay's Ninja Turtles

1:05:00 - The original live-action film bridged the gap of the black and white comic books and the cartoon show

1:07:55 - Kevin Eastman thinks Ken Watanabe would make a great Shredder

1:08:25 - He'd like to bring Ernie Reyes, Jr. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II) back for Bay's Ninja Turles as a Foot lieutenant.

1:31:00 - Possibility of motion capture Turtles like Rise of the Planet of the Apes

1:32:55 - Martial arts wise they are looking at Fist of Legend & The Raid: Redemption
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xwh-LHa-5lQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-18-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't this movie get pushed back or something? I seem to recall reading that production was temporarily halted.
Old 06-18-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't this movie get pushed back or something? I seem to recall reading that production was temporarily halted.
You mean like 6 posts before yours?
Old 06-18-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard this movie got pushed back. Has anyone else heard that?
Old 06-18-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I heard this movie got pushed back. Has anyone else heard that?
You mean like 8 posts before yours?
Old 06-19-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
You mean like 6 posts before yours?
Old 06-19-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's possible this is more than just a delay.

Reports this morning from The Guardian suggest that Michael Bay‘s controversial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot is likely to be shelved.

Bay, the record-breaking Hollywood director behind money-spinning projects like the The Rock, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and the Transformers franchise, had previously spoken at length about his plans for a modern retelling of Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird‘s iconic tale of anthropomorphic superhero turtles skilled in the art of ninjutsu.

Initially inhabiting the world of comics, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were so well-received they soon became some of the most recognisable fictional characters of popular culture with their very own animated television series and live-action movie franchises, making heroes, celebrities and legends of Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael and their sensei, the sagely Splinter.

TMNT‘s enduring popularity has kept the pizza-loving, anchovy-hating sewer dwellers alive in the hearts and souls of all comic book, super hero and cartoon lovers. The green ninjas have been brought back to life over the years with Nickelodeon’s animated TV series, and a 2007 computer-animated action film. The success of these projects has all but guaranteed Hollywood’s sustained interest in the crime-fighting reptiles, particularly with the excellent performances of the original TMNT film adaptations of the early ’90s.

Eager to tap into the rich world of Leo, Raphael and co., Bay had previously announced his intentions to initiate an all-new TMNT franchise, putting plans into motion with his production company, Platinum Dunes.

However, following a vitriolic backlash from Turtles fans, Bay’s reboot has come to a halt. The director has been derided for his explosive blockbuster films, criticised for their reliance on stunts, pyrotechnics and special effects. Regarded as being more concerned with style than substance, Bay is often portrayed as more box-office director than skilled or nuanced filmmaker. News of Bay’s involvement with the daring turtles was met with outrage.

The complaints of fans grew even louder when Bay revealed he would be revamping the Turtles’ backstory, portraying the heroes as aliens rather than mutants. Irritated by criticisms of his plans, Bay encouraged fans to ”take a breath, and chill.”

“They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story,” he said. “Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”

The Guardian reports the project has been shut down due to issues with the script. Initially set for a December 2013 release, the film has now been pushed back to May 2014. Preproduction staff, however, have been informed that the film has been shelved for an “indefinite” period.

We’ll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.