Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite David Mamet film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Favorite Mamet film?
House of Games (1987)
16.19%
Homicide (1991)
4.76%
Glengarry Glen Ross (written) (1992)
40.95%
The Spanish Prisoner (1997)
13.33%
The Winslow Boy (1999)
0.95%
State and Main (2000)
4.76%
Heist (2001)
4.76%
Spartan (2004)
9.52%
Redbelt (2007)
4.76%
Other (please specify)
0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite David Mamet film?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Favorite David Mamet film?

Not a single person has cited Oleanna, which I think is much better than its reputation. No other film has managed to convey the dusty, musty, "the carpets and furniture smell of decades of learning" atmosphere of a university setting quite so well.

My fav is probably Homicide, but I also love Glengarry, Spanish Prisoner, Oleanna, House of Games, and to a lesser extent, Winslow Boy. I haven't seen the others. I'm not fond of Mamet's singularly stilted, artificial dialogue, but I have always managed to overlook it and enjoy his films anyway.
Old 05-06-18, 06:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah, he did a covert rewrite on that script.

The film of his that’s a must see right now is Oleanna. It’s about sexual harassment on campus.
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Not a single person has cited Oleanna, which I think is much better than its reputation. No other film has managed to convey the dusty, musty, "the carpets and furniture smell of decades of learning" atmosphere of a university setting quite so well.

My fav is probably Homicide, but I also love Glengarry, Spanish Prisoner, Oleanna, House of Games, and to a lesser extent, Winslow Boy. I haven't seen the others. I'm not fond of Mamet's singularly stilted, artificial dialogue, but I have always managed to overlook it and enjoy his films anyway.
you just pulled an OldBoy!
Old 05-06-18, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

NOBODY can pull an Oldboy except for Oldboy. Everyone else just strives to be you.

And we all use the Google, which already prevents us from pulling any kind of Oldboy.
Old 05-06-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Oops, I missed Mabuse's comment, but it's also not in the poll.
Old 05-06-18, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State and Main. Great comedy.
Old 05-06-18, 08:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I was saying Oleanna.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-06-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i had no idea he wrote The Edge. i think i have that digitally. might have to check that out. i mean i know it was like a survivalist movie or whatever, but does it have the specific Mamet dialogue as well?
Yes, you will definitely recognize "Mamet dialogue" throughout the movie...And Baldwin delivers it just as well as he did in Glengarry Glen Ross...Really underrated movie in my mind...Also has one of the main characters from the HBO show Oz and he's really great in it...The score is also fantastic...
Old 05-07-18, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Heist and Spartan are great films. I still need to see Homicide and House of Games.

I also loved The Edge and Glengarry.

Also didn't know he wrote Hannibal and Ronin, both of which i'm not very fond of.
He took his name off of Ronin so it was credited to an alias. Apparently he hated that they hired someone to rewrite the third act...Can't remember where I read it, but he more or less disowned that movie...For what it's worth, I do think that is a good movie, aside from the final twenty minutes or so...And Jean Reno was great in it...
Old 05-07-18, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For Ronin, he actually came in to rewrite the script and took his name off because he wouldn’t get the sole credit.

I don’t think the Edge has a definitive Mamet styling as it plays very commercial. It’s way toned down from “That’s why it’s called money.”

Last edited by gmanca; 05-07-18 at 05:38 AM.