Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

I thought the killing of the nubile chick was a cop out - either they just didn't film it or the MPAA had their say...

technically I thought the 3D effects trounced the 3D imagery in the lacklustre 'Bolt'
Old 01-16-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to find a time to go see this, big fan of the original and am a big fan of Supernatural so when i saw that Jensen Ackles was in it I thought it may actually be a remake worth seeing.

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I loved the first 3 which includes DREAM warriors.

I honestly would rank them and I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this:

Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

(yes, prob opposite of everybody) I just found 3 the best of the bunch and liked the way part 2 was put together too..

Off to run a few errands then hit the 10PM showing, I'm curious if it's going to crowded or not.
Speaking of part 3, my 8 yr old just put Dokken's Dream Warriors on her ipod, she wanted the video but we couldn't find it. She's upset that i told her she 3-4 years away from being able to see the films, since she loves Freddy in the Dream Warriors video. I don't know to be excited that she's getting my love of horror(and older metal) or a little bit worried.
Old 01-16-09, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So disappointed. Went to see it in 3D today. I don't know what the process is but there was no 3D. The glasses only made it look darker. I'm guessing my theater played the wrong reel in the wrong theater. I heard puzzled remarks from others in the theater also. Left about 10 minutes into the movie and got my money back.
Old 01-16-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,One of the best horror remakes in recent years!!!!
I loved it,it felt like an 80s slasher flick....
Very brutal with some awesome deaths plus it had bush!!!! lol
Old 01-16-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm going to be the first one to say it, but this film sucked major donkey dick.

Never have seen the original, but this remake was the antithesis of fun.

Yes, there were a few good kills (midget death for the win), but that doesn't make a movie watchable or likable. I didn't come to watch a shitty movie with a lot of crappy acting and dialogue in 3D. I came to watch a movie filled to the fucking brim with carnage and I only got about 10 minutes of that within a movie that runs almost 90. Disa-fucking-ppointing.
Just got back and totally agree with this. Holy shit there were stretches of what felt like 15-20 minutes of absolutely nothing going on. The 3D was pretty good, but I got a fucking blinding headache about an hour in that didn't help.

Couple good kills
Spoiler:
Liked the first eye gouging kill the best
but it just felt like a massive waste of time and not really fun.
Old 01-16-09, 07:08 PM

I'm surprised so many are disappointed with this....
Old 01-16-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up going this afternoon and was very entertained. Grade: 8/10.
Old 01-16-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was mildly entertained and had some fun with it...but it starts off so strong that the rest can't help but feel like a HUGE disappointment... I mean, the movie was going off like gangbusters until the Midget bought it... then we got like 50 minutes of dialogue...boring as fuck, who gives a shit dialogue... then the kills just felt tired, sloppy and didn't even have much 3D pop (jaw scene excluded)... If they hadn't blown their load in the opening minutes it might not have felt like such a bore - but since we already had some great kills and tits and then NOTHING, it really hurt the momentum. And sure, the acting isn't going to win any awards but I think Jensen Ackles kicks ass, even if he didn't have much to do in this one...
Old 01-16-09, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

For those that have seen this...are the colors "off" like watching an older 3D film (F13, Jaws etc)?
Old 01-17-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely fun seeing the 3D version, but the ending was a lame cop-out, and the film was about 25 mins too long.
Old 01-17-09, 03:16 AM
Suspended

I wasn't expecting anything great going in so I wasn't too disapointed. The ending was terrible. If they make a sequel I might see it but I don't really care if they do or don't.
Old 01-17-09, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Strafe
So disappointed. Went to see it in 3D today. I don't know what the process is but there was no 3D. The glasses only made it look darker. I'm guessing my theater played the wrong reel in the wrong theater. I heard puzzled remarks from others in the theater also. Left about 10 minutes into the movie and got my money back.
I'd bet that you were in a house showing the actual film print which is in 2D. I don't know why the theater/box office didn't inform you this nor why they gave you glasses but that's what happened. And FYI, these 3D prints aren't films but Hard drives played through a digital projects housing a special "Real D" lense.

And to answer another question the glasses are solid black plastic frames with clear but darkened lenses, not red and blue.
Old 01-17-09, 08:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 947 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I'm surprised so many are disappointed with this....
I'm surprised that you're surprised so many people didn't like a horror remake of a not acclaimed film to begin with using a gimmick that is probably hit or miss...
Old 01-17-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really should have had my expectations in check when I realized this was directed by Patrick Lussier - dude has yet to make something that wasn't a slightly polished turd.
Old 01-17-09, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotts35
And to answer another question the glasses are solid black plastic frames with clear but darkened lenses, not red and blue.
Are these recycled for the next guests or do we take them home/junk them?
Old 01-17-09, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I was mildly entertained and had some fun with it...but it starts off so strong that the rest can't help but feel like a HUGE disappointment... I mean, the movie was going off like gangbusters until the Midget bought it... then we got like 50 minutes of dialogue...boring as fuck, who gives a shit dialogue... then the kills just felt tired, sloppy and didn't even have much 3D pop (jaw scene excluded)... If they hadn't blown their load in the opening minutes it might not have felt like such a bore - but since we already had some great kills and tits and then NOTHING, it really hurt the momentum. And sure, the acting isn't going to win any awards but I think Jensen Ackles kicks ass, even if he didn't have much to do in this one...
I don't know... I thought the gun thrown to the face was the best effect - I winced and moved 'out of the way'.

One effect I thought wasn't that well utlized was
Spoiler:
the shovel to the head sequence, the head should have fallen forward to the screen.

Last edited by Giles; 01-17-09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Are these recycled for the next guests or do we take them home/junk them?
there's an actual cardboard bin that you can 'recycle' them near the exit/entrance of the theatre I was at.
Old 01-17-09, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
One effect I thought wasn't that well utlized was the shovel to the head sequence, the head should have fallen forward to the screen.

SPOILERS...........

It looks like that scene may have been trimmed for the MPAA as it ends abruptly just when the head starts sliding down, as you said.

As far as the glasses go, they are supposed to be re-used as they are not cheap paper-glasses. Also, although the glasses look like they have clear lenses, if you look at them very closely, they are slightly tinted in two colors - one lense greenish-blue, one lense red (I think those were the colors - in any event, each lense was a different color). It's very subtle and I thought they were clear myself until my friend told me to look at them closer to see the colors. So it looks like this could be a more high-tech digital version of the old red-blue process. The 3-D looked pretty good, but I think polarized is more clear.

The movie itself was pretty bad, but still enjoyable to a degree. I didn't think they utilized the 3-D enough and there really wasn't anything clever to most of the death scenes. We've seen this all before. Still, I've always thought this killer was cool so it was worth seeing the remake once. Also, there's a short bonus after the end credits so stick around.

I wonder if the DVD will be in 3-D. Has LG ever released a 3-D dvd before?
Old 01-17-09, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine
Has LG ever released a 3-D dvd before?
Yup,They released that horrible Night of the Living Dead remake....
And it looked really really really bad....
Old 01-17-09, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine
SPOILERS...........

It looks like that scene may have been trimmed for the MPAA as it ends abruptly just when the head starts sliding down, as you said.

As far as the glasses go, they are supposed to be re-used as they are not cheap paper-glasses. Also, although the glasses look like they have clear lenses, if you look at them very closely, they are slightly tinted in two colors - one lense greenish-blue, one lense red (I think those were the colors - in any event, each lense was a different color). It's very subtle and I thought they were clear myself until my friend told me to look at them closer to see the colors. So it looks like this could be a more high-tech digital version of the old red-blue process. The 3-D looked pretty good, but I think polarized is more clear.

The movie itself was pretty bad, but still enjoyable to a degree. I didn't think they utilized the 3-D enough and there really wasn't anything clever to most of the death scenes. We've seen this all before. Still, I've always thought this killer was cool so it was worth seeing the remake once. Also, there's a short bonus after the end credits so stick around.

I wonder if the DVD will be in 3-D. Has LG ever released a 3-D dvd before?
I'd very interested in knowing what was cut - in the Rue Morgue article, it is mentioned that the remake like the original did have some run ins with the MPAA and cutting it down to it's R-rating. There were quite a few kills I would have filmed differently - if you're filming in 3D, exploit it.

Spoiler:

- the death of the midget lady should have her body shoved into the ceiling, the shower of debris and innards should have showered down on the audience her feet and hands dangling down towards to the audience.

- as mentioned before the bisected head should have fallen forward

- blood sprays were kept to a mininum and never really flew at you, except the pickaxe to the bald guy's head.

- the victim that was being forced into the pickaxe should have concluded with the pickaxe exiting the back of his head with some brains.

The filmmaker's recreate the laundry dryer death scene, but they NOT the legendary excised scene from the original - the water pipe to the back of the head and out the mouth - now that in of itself screams for a 3D version of that scene, water pipe exiting out the mouth, water and blood flowing towards the audience - ewwwwwww gross

if I were Lionsgate, I would have released the NC-17 cut at the end of the film's run to see all the grue in 3D form - unfortunantley I don't think well see the excised gore til the home video release.

Last edited by Giles; 01-17-09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The price difference between seeing the regular version and the 3D version is too much in my opinion . My wife and I could go and see this movie or another regular movie showing at the same time as the 3D version for about 9 dollars less for two tickets. Most theaters are charging like a 2.00 premium for each ticket but that is on top of a more expensive base ticket price. When we saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D last summer we didn't pay more to see it and from what it sounds like MBV isn't much better than that movie.
Old 01-17-09, 11:21 AM

complaint/question: Gallery Place here in DC is a mixed blessing for 3D films, it's a great setup - excellent brightness to the image and surround sound. BUT ... the ceiling lights, directly above you, never go fully out, they are faint and when wearing 3D glasses produce a glare when you're sitting in the prime middle seats. I asked management if the lights can be manually turned completely off - she said no... if that's really the case, I'd just go to AMC's Georgetown or Tyson's Corner (which aren't that readily metro subway accesible - bus only)

I would assume this seems to be an isolated case, or does anyone else notice this at theatres - ancilary light causing distraction?
Old 01-17-09, 03:42 PM

I was very letdown by this film. I was expecting a great remake but instead it was another tiresome gory remake with graphic nudity and no suspense. The acting was the worst i've seen in a long time and the ending was rather silly.
Old 01-17-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't stick around for the credits and the surprise - anybody care to spoil it for me?
Old 01-17-09, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I didn't stick around for the credits and the surprise - anybody care to spoil it for me?
Well, after the endless end-credits sequence of going down through the mine caverns is over, the miner killer finally shows up at the end of the remake one last time and swings his pick-axe right at the screen, which is pretty cool compared to most of the earlier 3-D moments in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.